Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think?

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    you may palm me,  but its true 

;)

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    bertie said:
    you may palm me,  but its true 

is that a sexual thing? I would insist on wearing gloves and no kissing after.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals and solo). Admittedly gets overlooked because he's just generally cool, but that motherfucker has some chops...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bertie.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

Well, us lot of course! :)

Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze - try  "Another nail in my heart" for size!

Janis Ian and Joni Mitchell

Steve Overland (wonderful lead singer/mainly rhythm guitarist of FM) - although he pipes in with some guitar harmony lines, when he takes a solo, they're sweet, melodic and bluesy.

My oddy - The late French crooner, Sacha Distel

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Even back in their heyday I think John Taylor was accepted by musos as the one in Duran Duran who could (somewhat surprisingly) actually play.  Some of the rest of the band may have been under-rated but not him.
    Re Midge Ure - I once saw him play a cover of Steely Dan's Reelin In The Years where he played the guitar part on the record note for note and sounded great.  Not a bad feat for a guy who was playing keys most of the night.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Midge Ure once depped for Thin Lizzy on an American tour - transcribed and learned the songs on the plane out according to urban myth
  • I know FA about theory & technique. But for what it's worth-
    Ivy from the Cramps (again)
    Hugh Cornwell
    Steve Earle (depending on how much you know of him)

• Some good suggestions here. I'm going to have to check out Captain Sensibles playing now as I've not heard much Damned before.

And that Bertie bloke too ;-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902

Some good suggestions here. I'm going to have to check out Captain Sensibles playing now as I've not heard much Damned before.

And that Bertie bloke too ;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Andy taylor, cap'n sensible and of course nik kershaw.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Oh they've all been said! As you were.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Edge.

Yes, I know very well that most other guitarists think he can barely play, and/or relies on effects the whole time.

I have never seen any guitarist, no matter how good - and some of them have been very good - play a U2 song and have it sound exactly right. He's *far* better at doing something which appears superficially simple but is actually quite complex and tricky than almost anyone gives him credit for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The Edge.

Yes, I know very well that most other guitarists think he can barely play, and/or relies on effects the whole time.

I have never seen any guitarist, no matter how good - and some of them have been very good - play a U2 song and have it sound exactly right. He's *far* better at doing something which appears superficially simple but is actually quite complex and tricky than almost anyone gives him credit for.
    Have you seen the documentary 'It might get loud' ICBM? It's well worth seeking out if you haven't.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Deadman said:
    Have you seen the documentary 'It might get loud' ICBM? It's well worth seeking out if you haven't.
    I did see it. I admit he seems quite bemused and unsure what he's doing at some points! But he doesn't sound like that when he plays for real. Playing against the delay is the really tricky bit, I think - either that or his phrasing. I really have never heard anyone get it right - often guitarists who can play Vai/Satriani/Lukather-type stuff perfectly, as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That stuff is so complicated that my tiny brain couldn't even begin to understand it. I dig watching the masters at work though. It gives me a semi.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Mick Mars of Motley Crue - very talented player without whom that band wouldn't have been the same.

Rossi and Parfitt of Quo - much maligned but few could make it work like they do.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid;47796" said:
    The late French crooner, Sacha Distel
    Brilliant choice - he was a superb player.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Sammy Hagar. 

I'm certainly no Van Halen fan but I did hear him play and was impressed.  

Also, back in the day, maybe 1996, when I used to bum all the "Widdlers" I went to G3 in Glasgow. Satriani, Shenker and Uli Jon Roth. Uli was pretty unknown to me, and frankly he pished all over every other musician there that night. 
  • Paul Weller. Original sound.