Vintage V880 vs V300 - does anyone have experience of both ?

Whilst I'm still interested in procuring the V300, does anyone have anything to add about the V880 ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    no experience, but based purely on first quick looks.......... Id say they'd be pretty different - one being a OM/000 14 fret and the other a parlor (possibly 12 fret ?)   is this is the case Id expect the 300 to be a bit zingier, bit stiffer.  The shorter scale on the 880 makes things a tad looser/mellower.

But thats based on an assumption on the specs, and experience with playing the specs on other guitars 

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Zingier would be nice, but so would mellow....both may be an option :)

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I've got an V880 (well, the electro VE880VB varient) and had a V300; the 880's quite pokey in sound terms, surprising amount of volume for such a small body but as with most parlours, don't expect a rich, wide frequency range. It IS noticeably more compact when playing than the V300, mind - although I'd have another 300 in a heartbeat 'cos they've got a really nice blend (for me) of midrange 'bollocks' with a nice shimmery high end and A BIT of proper bass (alongside my Tanglewood dreadnaught the 300 sounded downright tinny in comparison, but it did record far better). Still sit nicely on you when you're playing them, just not as dinky as the 880.
    bertie said:
    no experience, but based purely on first quick looks.......... Id say they'd be pretty different - one being a OM/000 14 fret and the other a parlor (possibly 12 fret ?)   is this is the case Id expect the 300 to be a bit zingier, bit stiffer.  The shorter scale on the 880 makes things a tad looser/mellower.

I just had a quick look at the specs and was surprised to find they both join the body at the 14th fret and the 880 has a slightly longer scale length than the V300.

bertie said:

I just had a quick look at the specs and was surprised to find they both join the body at the 14th fret and the 880 has a slightly longer scale length than the V300.
    ahh. Would explain Beag's  description of the 880 as pokey then........  defo both need trying out
    bertie said:
    ahh. Would explain Beag's  description of the 880 as pokey then........  defo both need trying out
    I'll report back once I've had a chance to compare them. Don't hold your breath for anything in-depth, my acoustic playing days were numbered before I even started. Hopefully I should be able to tell how they strum and what they smell like inside.   I might even drop a plec inside and have a shootout on how easy it is to recover from the soundhole. :)

now where's that facepalm button...............................
    bertie said:
    now where's that facepalm button...............................
    Steady !