RotM #6 - Voting

What's Hot

Comments

• Well done everyone - I've really enjoyed listening to all of these riffs and was really difficult to narrow it down to a top three but them's the rules so here goes;

1st DesVegas
    2nd Spark 240
    3rd Rocker
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I didnt have a chance to re-listen to my shortlist for votes places but I'll get to it over the next few days.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited January 2015

so...now for some notes:

Antique_Guitar: lovely finger picking and underlying melody. Its simple yet, so many intricate parts to it and played very well.

Dopesick: big rocky riff and good backing track...not sure on the flang, i think the guitar lacks a bit of punch with that effect on.

Daveww: I like it...i can imagine this being played slower and a lot more delay and reverb, and that would be perfect to my ears.

Kin: nice proggy vibe to the first part and i liked it a lot, not sure about the second part being a riff though.

JudasVigilante:  i liked this a lot as I voted for it...love the tone, the riff and the beat...my only suggestion would be to slow it down a little.

Rocker: sounds great...i can easily see this as an intro to a song

Bingfeller: I really liked this and this was probably 4 or 5 on my list.

TTony: love these kinds of riffs...i thought it sounded ver ZZ Top style...i would have like a little less gain on it. But love the groove of it.

Hobbio: great tone and rock feel to the riff. Could easily see this as the main riff with a second guitarist doing some licks over the top of it.

DesVegas:  love the atmosphere of this track...i liked it and voted for it...and the best part was the outro!!

Samzadgan: @JudasVigilante, thanks for the vote, and i'm sure no one thinks you voted for me because i voted for you...i think our styles are similar...for the record, i am a guy  :D

PVO_Dave: This one got my head nodding to it, had a bit of a G&R feel to it...the good era!

Anonymous1: Not easy to play these kinds of riffs and maintain groove, but you're obvioulsy from the land of southern steel!

Simonbeckwith: indie rock but a bit smarter and more interesting than the regular indie stuff that i've heard

PolarityMan: very groovy and head nodding riff and the production was great too. This was on the fringes of my top 3.

Spark240: This made me feel nice when i listened to it...it put me in a good mood. But i'm a miserable bastard and i like to feel sad! but honestly, it was a great track.

Downside11: nice intro to a song, but very trebly for my likings

Steamabacus: I did like the guitar work...but the drums in the background kinda too over, i wanted to block it out and listen to the guitar.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    The sound on my iPad is poor, my computer is being upgraded. Hope it will be operational in the next day or two....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited January 2015
    Here goes my pre-vote review.  There's quite a few to listen to so I hope I've not been to terse.

I think the Riffs should be about the guitar and shouldn't need drums and bass etc.  Pressure to do a full production will put some people off.  So I'm trying not to vote on the production, mix, drums and bass etc.  We'll all have different views of what a riff is as well.

@Steamabacus - Steve The Loopy Drummer
    Cool Jazz.  Nice and simple and the drums reminded me faintly of early Santana Caravanserai

@Downsideup11 - Tele Riff
    Nice rythmic tele chordy riff.  Would like to hear a better recording with a more biting tone.  Like it a lot though.

@Spark240 - ROTM Jan 2015
    Nice good chilling vibe about this one & melodic too.  Again like it a lot.

@PolarityMan - ROTM - January
    Excellent stuff.  Nice riff, well played, very rythmic and catchy.  Again like it a lot.

@Simonbeckwith - 3pc 1 13.12.14
    Again excellent stuff.  Very orginal and nicely played.  Like the wide note range used and the way it resolved.

@Anonymous1 - Tiger Toight
    Nice riff but not really my bag.  Nothing wrong with it at all but a bit repetive for me and not a style I'm in to.

@PVO_Dave - Riff
    Again not really my bag.  Well played but a bit familiar and predicatble.

@SamZadgan - Rotm - Sz
    Nice riff and as others have said very Iomi like.  Took me back to Boris The Spider time.

@DesVegas - 23 Swans
    Nice ambient composition.  Liked it a lot but not really a riff in my book.

@Hobbio - Jan 2015 ROTM
    Nice riff and well played.  Bits of it put me in mind of Steppenwolf.

@TTony - with bass
    Nice simple rythmic catch riff.  Well played and nice tone.

@Bingefeller - February Riffing
    Great stuff nice riff, well played, very catch and nice tone.

@Rocker - Christmas Star
    Nice composition, liked it a lot.

@Judasvigilante - ROTM
    Good playing and tone, a bit predictable but again not really my bag.

@Kin - First Go
    Sorry Kin couldn't really hear it well enough.  Might be fantastic but needs more volume.

@Daveww - Riffyriffrif
    Well mines probably a bit random but sounds ok in my head.  Probably means there's something wrong with my head... Would perhaps have benefited from another loop and a bit of silence or intro noise at the start.

@Last Mantra - Dopesick
    Nice riff, well played and nice tone.  Liked it a lot but not as orginal sounding as some of the others.

@Antique_Guitars - Scratchy Scratch
    Nice naked riff.  Liked it a lot.  Perhaps not hugely orginal sounding but nice composite and put me in mind of early CSN&Y.

Hope I haven't been harsh.  I'm perhaps not the best critic but I know what I like.  It's all very subjective at the end of the day and a nice bit of fun.  Others views will be widely different.

Now I've narrowed it down I'll have another listen before my vote.
  • Right, I'm going to sit down with pen, paper and a cuppa and get these listened to properly tonight. Votes should be up later.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Hard to choose.  Narrowed it down to 5 and then down selected.  Have to admit if I listened again I might change my mind.

@PolarityMan - ROTM - January - 1st Place

@Spark240 - ROTM Jan 2015 - 2nd Place

@Antique_Guitars - Scratchy Scratch - 3rd Place

Well done to all that entered.

• Well, it took several rounds of listening, much scribbling of notes and two cups of tea but the votes are in. After the initial round of listening there were half-a-dozen tracks that particularly caught my ear for one reason or another. All the submissions had something interesting about them but these six tracks just had 'something different'. After a second round of listening I had a top three (in no particular order as yet) but the listening was then interrupted for several hours by the small matter of a League Cup Semi Final second leg.

Bolstered by Spurs successfully negotiating their way to the final (and against my brother-in-law's club too!) I returned to try and sort out the top three places.

But, before I get to the top three, some honourable mentions - as I said, I had half-a-dozen entries that stood out from the pack for me. So well done to @JudasVigilante , @Antique_Guitars and @TTony for three great 'riffs' that didn't quite make my final cut. Good stuff, guys.

So the top three...

3rd place (1 point) - @Spark240  'ROTM Jan 2015'
    Very well arranged and recorded, confidently played and with a laid-back easy-flowing pace to it. Very nice.

2nd place (3 points) - @SimonBeckwith  '3pc 1 13.12.14'
    I loved these proggy, twisting lines - you manage to keep things locked with the drums, though, which keeps it grooving tightly. With a snappier track name it might even have risen to the top of the podium.  :)

1st place ( 5 points) - @Last Mantra  'Dopesick'

Great raw chuggy vibe, spacey fx and solid playing. Instantly appealed to someone like me with an enduring love of Hawkwind. All it's lacking is the lightshow.  @-)

• Thanks for the mention steamabacus, glad your team did you proud. Against your in-laws too. Way to go!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    edited January 2015
    Bolstered by Spurs successfully negotiating their way to the final

Fellow Spurs-sufferer fan!  COYS

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Wey, thanks for votes guys :) looking forward to the next round!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    My vote is as follows:

1st @Anonymous1 - Tiger Toight  (Great riff, loved it. (5pts))

2nd @Steamabacus - Steam The Loopy Drummer (Very smooth, I wanted it to carry on! (3pts))

3rd @Spark240 - No Title (Really nice, it made me feel happy! (1pt))

Top stuff, guys!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

@Antique_Guitar - Very nice acoustic piece, I liked it...1 Point. 

@Simonbeckwith - Something appealing abuot this, I think some nice EQ could bring this out better..  3 points 

@Steambacus - Interesting as well as good riff and well produced...5 Points ! 

I thought all entries were really good, in fact its difficult to judge whilst sometimes trying to put the riff first against some good production.

All in all...a great turnout and some nice tunes !      

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Best selection yet this month even harder to choose.

Here goes.

5 Points - Polarity Man

3 Points - Simonbeckwith

1 Point - TTony.

really impressive work all round to all entries,
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    There wasn't a bad one among them-great effort-I'm defo in next month

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited January 2015
    Wow amazing amount of entries and variation!

This took a while to get through.

For me these were my top three:

Steamabacus - 5 points

Spark240 - 3 points

Kin - 1 point
    Old Is Gold
  • Last day to vote today
    Old Is Gold
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Got my computer back and spent a bit of time listening.  Really amazing entries with lots of differing styles and influences.

Honorable mentions to:

Steambacus

DesVegas

TTony

Antique_Guitars

My top three:

Spark240 - 5 points

Hobbio - 3 points

Polarityman - 1 point 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Surprised (and impressed) by the production levels on some of these :)

My votes:

Spark240 - 5 points
    Steamabacus - 3 points
    Polarityman - 1 point
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited January 2015
    Well done everyone who entered. It looked like I was in the running back there for while despite 23 swans apparently not actually being a riff..
    I'm looking forward to congratulating the winner later and see you all in #7.
    Dv.