First build

What's Hot
for a while now i've been considering building a guitar, i've never done anything like this before so really i want to know, how hard is it to do? And can it be done fairly cheaply?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Partscasters are easy, set necks probably a bit trickier, shouldn't be expensive if you shop around for bits and pieces. Here is a good source for parts.

Best advice I would give is take your time and enjoy the build.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    building from scratch is not cheap.   tools and parts add up quickly.    do it for fun, but don't do it to save money!

partscasters can be cheaper if you shop around and hunt ebay for a few week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I've just started a partscaster, got the body for £15 and advertised on here that I wanted a few bits every month (every payday...)had loads of offers of different bits and pieces for cheap.

I'm not very handy and have few suitable tools but reckon I'll knock something half decent up.

There's loads of good threads on here which inspired me and as I'm on no hurry spending a few quid every month I won't really miss the cash...

I'm hoping to learn more about guitar setup and maintenance doing it.

Buy some bits and start a thread (include pics-we all like pics!)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I think of building a partscaster a lot like building a kit guitar, except that you have to assemble the kit from all the various places selling necks/bodies/hardware on the web, rather than buying it all in one go, and thus you have to do a bit of work making sure the specs for all the parts are compatible. This tele was the first parts build I did, and it came out great:

That was using a body from www.guitarbuild.co.uk (I can recommend) and a neck I bought from www.axesrus.co.uk (also good for parts, but sadly have stopped selling necks now). People say very nice things re the necks and bodies that GSPBASSES sells on here also, I'm sure with good reason. Anyway, if you have a careful, meticulous approach, and are prepared to do your homework and not rush, I'm sure you can make a good parts build guitar. I do have to agree with @WezV though - don't do it to save money!
  • yeah, to be honest the idea of doing a parts caster is more of a better idea, i like the idea of picking up bits each payday. Will keep my eyes peeled :)