Gibson LP Traditional Pro - Opinions Please!

What's Hot
Hi there,
Got a mate who's interested in these, anyone got any experience/ thoughts/ feedback?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

I think @not_the_dj bought a Traditional Pro II recently ..? What's the difference between the two?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013

A quick glance at the specs, and I can see the pick-ups are different (well the bridge postion one on that is a BB3, whilst the Trad Pro II is a Super '57, no idea how they compare).

Both have '57 Classics in the neck. The Trad II has the inbuilt boost (which is actually quite useful, but does need a 9v battery hidden away inside.

The Trad II saves some money by having a satin back/sides, with the regular high gloss top.

Theres's also 50s or 60s neck options on the Trad II, looks like the one you've linked to is just 60s.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Many thanks ;)

I don't really get why he is looking at these - He has a beautiful LP Standard, a "Black Beauty" Custom (yes, three pickups and Bigsby, all in glorious gold) and a Goldtop with 2 x P90's...not sure at all what this would add tonally, save for the coil tapped sounds maybe (which he says he wouldn't use!)

• Oh and @not_the_dj , how are you finding the Trad Pro II now you've had it a few weeks? Given it a good run out live yet?

...and it's push/push pots on mine, that's push/pull pots for the coil split/tap/whatever the correct term is. I'm really liking the push/push, that makes much more sense to be giging as it's such a quick action and easier to do when holding a pick.
    edited October 2013
    Oh and @not_the_dj , how are you finding the Trad Pro II now you've had it a few weeks? Given it a good run out live yet?
    One gig with it so far and a couple of rehearsls. Next week I'm playing Friday/Saturday so that'll be fun. It sounds fantastic, it plays great, it looks great...and it still smells lovelly (the case too). Best guitar I've ever bought...I love it.
  • Push/ push definitely makes more sense to me too. I guess the only argument against them is that you can't tell at a glance which setting you're on, but then you ought to be able to tell with your ears anyway.

Push/ push definitely makes more sense to me too. I guess the only argument against them is that you can't tell at a glance which setting you're on, but then you ought to be able to tell with your ears anyway.

You can tell by looking, they stand proud when in the 'on' position.
  • Oh I didn't realise that...makes even less sense then to have push/ pull!

Is the one in that link available over here? Can't see it listed on any websites (but the Trad II Pro is everywhere).

The story they were spinning about the Trad Pro II was that it was a dealer exclusive for Guitar Centre (IIRC) in the states, that UK retailers got as a special Ltd Edition. I've not seen anything on the Gibson site about the Trad II Pro.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2013
    Hi there,
    Got a mate who's interested in these, anyone got any experience/ thoughts/ feedback?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

I have a Trad Pro.  It is my main recording guitar and my favourite electric guitar.  I tried several of them to find mine so I can't guarantee he'll be as happy as I am, but I can say the one I own is fantastic.  I love having the locking tuners, satin neck, and I love the pickups actually, they're sizzling and bright but have personality.  

Some clips with it if they'd be of any use -

Rock - Mesa Roadster (left speaker), Blackstar S1 104EL34 (all overdubs and solo).  Right speaker was a PRS SE played by my bandmate.

More chilled overdrive - Blackstar HT60 2x12 combo 

Generic Metal + solo (Blackstar HT1)

I found the Trad Pro sounded brighter and more punchy than the traditional for sale at the time (few years ago).  This would be a combination of different pickups (57+ in trad vs BB3) and the pots (500k in the trad pro, Gibsons are usually 300k).  Beyond that the differences are functional such as locking tuners, satin neck etc as detailed by NTDJ
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    I'd advise him to save a few more pennies and find a used Historic/Custom LP. They're miles better and much more like 'the real thing' IMHO.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Slightly off topic but those clips from @guitarfishbay make me want to buy one.  Frikking awesome stuff!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I'd advise him to save a few more pennies and find a used Historic/Custom LP. They're miles better and much more like 'the real thing' IMHO.
    He already has one, they're not always better, just different.
  • Great comments everyone. I was out gigging last night when I get a text saying he's pulled the trigger on an LP..
    Details vague at present, can't wait to see what he's bought!

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    They now do a goldtop Pro 2 with a 50's neck. This is very tempting...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Yeah there seem to be a few more colours available now. Luckly I think I'd still have gone for the iced tea even with all the new options.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    edited October 2013
    p90fool said:
    He already has one, they're not always better, just different.
    Depends on what we mean by 'better' I suppose. I've had several Historics over the years and I've never played a Standard (or Trad Pro or other modern Standard update) that I thought was a nicer feeling, playing or sounding guitar. That's all IMHO of course, and admittedly I am an unashamed old git/traditionalist.  :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Iamnobody;49341" said:
    I wish you hadn't told me that!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    stickyfiddle;49519" said:
    Iamnobody;49341" said:They now do a goldtop Pro 2 with a 50's neck. This is very tempting...

I wish I hadn't seen them! Luckily I've got too many in the stable at the moment and no funds. So temptation is relatively easy to resist...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    stickyfiddle;49519" said:
    Iamnobody;49341" said:They now do a goldtop Pro 2 with a 50's neck. This is very tempting...

I really really wish I didn't know that. I was happy and secure in the knowledge that despite the good price they're not for me as they didn't do goldtop 50s neck.

I've now been watching YouTube videos and checking out interest free options!