JXG Guitars - '57 Junior Replica

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited October 2013 in Guitar tFB Trader
I've recently been contacted by a couple of forum members regarding a guitar I had commissioned by JXG Guitars in Newcastle so I thought I'd put up a thread recommending Johns work.

I was first made aware of John's work by Hugh (Shugz) of the old and now new parish. I purchased a '57 Junior that Hugh had John make so I was aware of his work first hand, this being my second JXG guitar. I eventually moved the first JXG Jnr on as the neck was a little too slim for my spade hands so, after trying a VOS Jnr, which couldn't hold a candle to it, I contacted John directly.

I wanted a vintage spec, lightly aged '57 Junior.

John was extremely helpful throughout the build and was happy to work from a picture of an original I sent him regarding the finish. I wanted to add a personal touch to the build so the serial number is my then-new born son's date of birth. He even sourced a period correct ink stamp to do it with. He also shaped the neck to match my favourite R8 Les Paul.

He was happy to send me pictures of the build as it progressed and I have a folder of these on my laptop to keep. I sent him a vintage spec MOJO P90 and Shugz Wiring Loom to fit and he did the rest with aged Kluson and Faber hardwear.

When the guitar arrived, a good 3 weeks before it was expected, I could not believe my eyes. It was/is STUNNING. The aging is TOTALLY realistic, no belt sander and hammer job here, he's a real artist. One thing I noticed straight away was that the fret work was exceptional and they were polished to a mirror shine. The fingerboard edges have been rolled so it really does feel like it's been played for 50 years +.

When I plugged it in it didn't disappoint. It barks, screams, raw rock n' roll & with a roll of the volume pot it cleans up into a beautiful almost Tele-esque twang. It's the most resonant guitar I own and with sustain for days.

As an aside, part of the fun of having this guitar is watching the 'experts' I encounter at gigs salivating over it and being totally convinced its a genuine 50's Gibson, one recently proclaimed to the assemble few "oh yes, I can tell that 50's tonewood a mile off, a new guitar can't replicate that".....I honestly 'ahem' didn't want to deflate him - but I couldn't resist. There are a couple of dead giveaways on the guitar ie the serial number and the Les Paul 'TV Model' decal.

It is worth noting though, so we don't get into a heated debate, that John stamps the inside of the control cavity VERY CLEARLY with his initials and completion date so his guitars, while they look and sound the real deal, cannot be passed off by unscrupulous sellers as the real deal, no Fred the Forger/MG here! :-)

It made me realise what a privileged position I was in to be able to order a guitar like this from John. I always wanted an original '57 Junior. Now there is no need and I can save my money!

Basically, If you are in the market for a luthier built guitar, make sure JXG Guitars are near the very top of your list and if you are anywhere near the midlands, you are more than welcome to come and try mine :-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    very nice :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Thanks for that MN. Looks bloody lovely. John's a class act and a lovely fella. Mine should be done in a coupla weeks, so childishly excited!

What's the deal with the tailpiece, manufacturer?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Gobsmackingly gorgeous
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    jd0272 said:
    Thanks for that MN. Looks bloody lovely. John's a class act and a lovely fella. Mine should be done in a coupla weeks, so childishly excited!

What's the deal with the tailpiece, manufacturer?
    I believe it's a Lightweight compensated Faber tailpiece. It had been in my parts drawer for ages so I think that's what it was :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    Might look into that after I get the guitar. What pickup did you go with? I'm going for an Antiquity at the moment, just for starters obv.
    Forget that, just re-read, thick.
    tFB Trader
    jd0272;48964" said:
    Might look into that after I get the guitar. What pickup did you go with? I'm going for an Antiquity at the moment, just for starters obv.
    I went with a MOJO vintage P90, give marc a call, he's great, top quality pickups!
    (formerly miserneil)
    Yeah Marc did me a real nice custom job for my Esquire parts-a-caster. Attention to detail is top notch, his pricing is superb too. Just waiting for the flamin' humidity levels to sort themselves out so I can finish spraying the bloody thing.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited October 2013
    Very nice indeed. Here's a slightly older one for comparison...

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Licking the screen.........
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    That my friend is the nicest looking guitar I have seen all year!

GORGEOUS.

I want to hear it now.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Wow, that is one very cool looking guitar.
    Congrats 
    :)>-
    I've lusted after one ever since I saw Keith Urban rocking one in Glasgow a few years ago now,
    might I ask what it cost ?

Cheers,
    Graeme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Very nice indeed. Here's a slightly older one for comparison...

Very nice indeed Nigel!

'56?
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Beautiful guitar @miserneil. ; I saw that in its various stages of development during my frequent visits to JXG.  Did he use the reputed 100 year old plus mahogany on your build?  It had an amazing "ring" when you tapped it, that wood.

@jd0272 ; those Faber aluminium wrap rounds really are fantastic, I've got one on my old SG special, can actually get the intonation very close with that bridge on. 

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader

Thats a great looking build but whats with the Gibson logo surely it should have JXG GUITARS on the head stock and MADE IN NEWCASTLE on the back of the head stock?

Also I would have thought Gibson will not be very unhappy about it, and the fact that Gibson just love to sue any one and every one.

Most of the luthiers I know would not use some one else's name or logo on there builds.

I would remove the photo of the guitars head stock before Gibson come knocking on your door.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

Thats a great looking build but whats with the Gibson logo surely it should have JXG GUITARS on the head stock and MADE IN NEWCASTLE on the back of the head stock?

Also I would have thought Gibson will not be very unhappy about it, and the fact that Gibson just love to sue any one and every one.

Most of the luthiers I know would not use some one else's name or logo on there builds.

I would remove the photo of the guitars head stock before Gibson come knocking on your door.
    I asked for a replica and that is what I got. Neither John or myself is trying to pass this guitar off as a genuine Gibson, hence the serial number, the 'wrong' model decal and the stamp and date inside.

For the purpose of not wanting to get anyone's wrist slapped, I have removed the headstock photo.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ESchap said:

Beautiful guitar @miserneil. ; I saw that in its various stages of development during my frequent visits to JXG.  Did he use the reputed 100 year old plus mahogany on your build?  It had an amazing "ring" when you tapped it, that wood.

@jd0272 ; those Faber aluminium wrap rounds really are fantastic, I've got one on my old SG special, can actually get the intonation very close with that bridge on. 

Thanks @ESchap! I believe the neck is from that hallowed stock while the Body is Brazilian Cedar, lighter and a touch more 'open sounding' apparently :)

@jd0272 is right, the Faber bridge is excellent, intonation almost spot on.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    I'm sorry if you thought I was doing you or JXG down that was not my intention.

I know Johns work its great really well made guitars so there is NO way I would put him or he's guitars down. But knowing what Gibson are like I stand by what I said.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Piss. That means another expensive purchase, for which I'll get wrong from the wife.

I'm having the G logo on, as I've asked John for a replica. It's my choice. It's my cash. He'll stamp the cavity, and as Neil, I'm using a personal serial number. Wouldn't fool anyone if it was ever touted as an original. Not that I ever plan to sell it, it's my little Christmas present to myself.

I'm getting 1958 spec. Old growth wood. Brazilian board. Hide glue. Proper lacquer. Bloke knows what he's doing as he's had plenty through his hands. 

Aside from the hide glue, Gibson can't currently offer me what the luthier can.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited October 2013
    I am with GSP, love the work but would prefer it to not have a gibson logo.   No matter what you do someone will try and sell it as a fake when they realise they may get close to genuine price for less money

I did a 55ish LP jnr a few years ago.  I was using a few original parts.  The bridge, wiring loom, pickup, cavity cover, jackplate and strap buttons where all original 50's or 60's (although the pickup had been rewound by lindy fralin in the 80's)

I used some old stock mahogany but it was a little heavy, not bothered about authenticity i made it 1.5" thick to reduce weight.   I also went for a 3-piece neck with a wenge centre stripe and thicker headstock because they all fit what i do better

Its the closest to a proper replica i get and possibly my favourite of the guitars i have made.   

I still need to be aware that those obvious construction differences (and a shiny new paint job)  may not mean much if someone added a gibson logo, most uneducated players would not know those things are wrong... at what point does it become a fake
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom