Talk to me about doing an acoustic duo

What's Hot
I've been thinking about it for a while as there seems to be loads of gigs about for duo's locally. I'd like only having 1 person to organise stuff with and we'd be able to practice at someone's house etc so it'd be more convenient than doing another band (currently in two). Anyway, an opportunity has come along to do a due. Me on acoustic guitar (I don't sing) and a really talented singer with plenty of gigging experience (she owns a PA too!).

What sort of stuff should I be considering? Setlists, fees, bookings? What standard of acoustic player are people expecting? (I passed Grade 8 classical guitar as a youngster but haven't played too much fingerstyle stuff) Acoustic stuff isn't really my bag tbh, but I'd really like to work with said vocalist, and music is my living so extra income from gigs is much appreciated. 

Any tales of experiences at all would be good as I've never done a duo gig, all of my gigs have been in bands!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10710
    I was in an electric duo for a bit and I loved it. We used backing tracks. No shame in that. I think acoustic duos are more demanding but just as interesting for the audience. Good luck. Re. set lists, so long as they marry with the audience's age group / expectations, you'll be fine. Almost any song can be acoustic-duo'd.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    If you don't sing I'd say the singer is more likely to dictate the set list and style and keys.
    You can put forward a couple of nice instrumental pieces that can be dropped in as required to suit the occasion or give the singer a break.
    Don't be afraid to consider working to tracks despite the abhorrence of the idea, it will give you pace and dance-ability and therefore more opportunities for gigs.
    If the singer has a PA and tracks and their own gigs, consider what it is that you are bringing to the party and then reinforce that. Try to keep the set/identity different to what else either of you do so it is marketable.
    It's quite fun and satisfying to do so go for it.

• ESBlonde said:
    If you don't sing I'd say the singer is more likely to dictate the set list and style and keys.

This mornings conversation would confirm that :-)

She just does an originals band nowadays so no crossover for her.....this'll be my third active gigging project so I was tempted to chuck in some stuff from my blues band to save learning new stuff.....she's wasn't too enthusiastic about my suggestions though!

As to what I bringing to the table.....very little really! I'm a people person in my professional life so know loads of venues promoters etc, but that's about it.....I'm not even bringing a decent Acoustic guitar to the table currently haha!
  • I am in exactly this situation only our 1st gig is this saturday!

Its me and the singer from my main band and we (stupidly) thought that we could just knock up a rough set of songs based on acoustic versions of our main bands setlist

Oh how wrong we were - we are going into the gig poorly rehearsed, with a set of songs that are just me strumming chords - is that boring for an audience? We havent had time to properly work out the harmonies and in rehersals i dont think we have managed to get to the end of more than 5 of the 30 or songs without getting lost somewhere

we have a final rehersal on thursday - if its shit, im pulling the plug

I am in exactly this situation only our 1st gig is this saturday!

Work smarter not harder, print the vocals/arrangements if you must but decide how you will share duties. Normally the rule is follow the singer, everyone else will be so it's less obvious if it seems you made the mistake. However is the singer stops and wanders off mike you sort it out and carry the song.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Travisthedog said:

Its me and the singer from my main band and we (stupidly) thought that we could just knock up a rough set of songs based on acoustic versions of our main bands setlist

Oh how wrong we were - we are going into the gig poorly rehearsed, with a set of songs that are just me strumming chords - is that boring for an audience?

No, as long as the singer is good. They don't really listen to what the guitar is doing unless it's a solo - don't try, unless you know exactly what you're going to do, it's much harder to 'wing it' than with an electric.

Try to play with more dynamics than you usually would on an electric too, that will make it sound like you're a lot more competent than you are and that the songs actually have structures. (Works for me, anyway :).)

Travisthedog said:

Don't, you'll get by. It's only daunting the first time ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    To reinforce Johns comments above (like he needs the help). Because you can't play, more try playing 2 and 3 string chords in verses or even single notes so that the chorus will naturally be fuller, don't worry that it sounds thin, it is the singist that carries the thing. A harmony where you can or even just hum as it's one more instrument.

• I've been thinking about it for a while as there seems to be loads of gigs about for duo's locally. I'd like only having 1 person to organise stuff with and we'd be able to practice at someone's house etc so it'd be more convenient than doing another band (currently in two). Anyway, an opportunity has come along to do a due. Me on acoustic guitar (I don't sing) and a really talented singer with plenty of gigging experience (she owns a PA too!).

red flashing light

has she a young infant or child? if so she will constantly mess you about in arranging rehearsals, and is likely not to turn up even when a rehearsal time is agreed. she may even attempt to blow gigs out if the kid sneezes or she cant get a babysitter
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tom_BrookesTom_Brookes Frets: 8
    edited February 2015

I've been thinking about it for a while as there seems to be loads of gigs about for duo's locally. I'd like only having 1 person to organise stuff with and we'd be able to practice at someone's house etc so it'd be more convenient than doing another band (currently in two). Anyway, an opportunity has come along to do a due. Me on acoustic guitar (I don't sing) and a really talented singer with plenty of gigging experience (she owns a PA too!).

red flashing light

has she a young infant or child? if so she will constantly mess you about in arranging rehearsals, and is likely not to turn up even when a rehearsal time is agreed. she may even attempt to blow gigs out if the kid sneezes or she cant get a babysitter
     Seriously?!

The singer in my Blues band is female.....she does just fine.

Said girl vocalist for this acoustic duo has a daughter I believe.....I'm not really sure what to type in response to you to be honest-I don't post on here all that regularly so haven't really got a handle on what sort of vibe there is one here.......part of me thinks that I'm being trolled! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I've been thinking about it for a while as there seems to be loads of gigs about for duo's locally. I'd like only having 1 person to organise stuff with and we'd be able to practice at someone's house etc so it'd be more convenient than doing another band (currently in two). Anyway, an opportunity has come along to do a due. Me on acoustic guitar (I don't sing) and a really talented singer with plenty of gigging experience (she owns a PA too!).

red flashing light

Seriously?!

Said girl vocalist for this acoustic duo has a daughter I believe.....I'm not really sure what to type in response to you to be honest-I don't post on here all that regularly so haven't really got a handle on what sort of vibe there is one here.......part of me thinks that I'm being trolled!

Think you may be correct,. Troll.  Dont feed it.
    Anyone who puts their signature as blah blah Aka blah has issues.
    Maybe he should sign Rejected ex AKA G**P
    As for the Gig.
    Go with it, dont let first night nerves put you off, whats the worst that can happen?
    Crash burn, its all character building.
    It may just be the one thing that goes amazingly well and people start arranging their friday nights around where you are gigging.
    You never know the minute until you try. 
    Best of luck, keep us posted.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'd only do them if they were girls.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

Oh how wrong we were - we are going into the gig poorly rehearsed, with a set of songs that are just me strumming chords - is that boring for an audience? We havent had time to properly work out the harmonies and in rehersals i dont think we have managed to get to the end of more than 5 of the 30 or songs without getting lost somewhere

Don't pull the plug-just grit your teeth and get through it-it will be fine. Take the plunge.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• lloyd said:

Don't pull the plug-just grit your teeth and get through it-it will be fine. Take the plunge.
    I couldn't disagree more, especially if these are originals i personally wouldn't allow my band to present something this substandard using the same band name.

We've only ever played one acoustic gig and we totally rearranged the songs...mind you we are a prog-metal band so obviously there were loads of heavy bits that were never going to work as they were acoustically.

In an acoustic duo harmonies are going to be even more exposed than in a band so if they are not ready I would definitely work on those first. Just strumming chords can work for some songs but again it's not an area I would be happy with but the songs I write don't tend to be simple chord progression based songs so @Travisthedog 's mileage may very.

My advice would be to use your ears though, if you;re not happy with it there is likely a reason and I reckon audiences will pick up on that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

red flashing light

Seriously?!

Yes. I've had more of my time wasted by people like this than any other kind. And no I'm not a troll, I'm a founder member. tbh I quite like the idea of female vocal + 2 acoustic guitars (if she plays as well, or one if she doesn't), it works and there's deffo a market for it, but them with small kids always have another agenda which pre-empts the music. They don't get the idea that if there's a gig, you play it: and to that end you need to rehearse.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tom_BrookesTom_Brookes Frets: 8
    edited February 2015
    My gast is well and truly flabbered!!

Are there many female posters active on this forum? 

Cheers for the none sexist advice though people, building plenty of dynamics into the pieces is something that I've really focussed on so that if the song uses the same progression in the chorus as the verses, at least the choruses go some where etc 

One thing that I'm in two minds over is songs that have an instrumental section, or even worse...a guitar solo. There'll just literally be my guitar (maybe backing vox as I really should force myself to do it) and Nicole's vox...do people just drop guitar solos and go straight into the next part of the song with vocals, or do you do some composite solo/accompaniment style thing. Like I said, I can play to a decent standard and make my money from teaching and gigs, but I'm worried that people will be expecting Jon Gomm style stuff everytime there's a break in vocals.....I've just never done that sort of thing before! Playing the lead line sans accompaniment is going to sound pap! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    My gast is well and truly flabbered!!

Are there many female posters active on this forum?
    Just ignore it. I've had my time wasted by far more people without children than with them, and I've played in more bands with women than without.

In fact even of the two women who have wasted my time, neither had children.

I also have small children who I am the primary (daytime) carer for too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;507290" said:
    Travisthedog said:Its me and the singer from my main band and we (stupidly) thought that we could just knock up a rough set of songs based on acoustic versions of our main bands setlist

Oh how wrong we were - we are going into the gig poorly rehearsed, with a set of songs that are just me strumming chords - is that boring for an audience?

No, as long as the singer is good. They don't really listen to what the guitar is doing unless it's a solo - don't try, unless you know exactly what you're going to do, it's much harder to 'wing it' than with an electric.

Try to play with more dynamics than you usually would on an electric too, that will make it sound like you're a lot more competent than you are and that the songs actually have structures. (Works for me, anyway :).)

Travisthedog said:we have a final rehersal on thursday - if its shit, im pulling the plug

Don't, you'll get by. It's only daunting the first time ;).
    Well the final rehearsal went really well last night just one song caused issues and it's one we really want to include so I'll work on it tonight

Fingers crossed !
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:

I couldn't disagree more, especially if these are originals i personally wouldn't allow my band to present something this substandard using the same band name.

We've only ever played one acoustic gig and we totally rearranged the songs...mind you we are a prog-metal band so obviously there were loads of heavy bits that were never going to work as they were acoustically.

In an acoustic duo harmonies are going to be even more exposed than in a band so if they are not ready I would definitely work on those first. Just strumming chords can work for some songs but again it's not an area I would be happy with but the songs I write don't tend to be simple chord progression based songs so @Travisthedog 's mileage may very.

My advice would be to use your ears though, if you;re not happy with it there is likely a reason and I reckon audiences will pick up on that.
    There's truth to what you say, but at the same time there's something to be said for just doing it. 

From the OP I got that he was nervous and thought 'just strumming' and singing is a bit shit....It's not to me, and certainly not to non guitar players, if the singer is good you'll pull it off.

You could sit off and rehearse for a year and not be 100% happy with it and not gig it. I know I never am with any performance we do, our first gig as an originals band was ok but could have been a lot better but I'm glad we did it when we did as it teaches you a lot about where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

I'd rather struggle through a gig than pull the plug 2 days before it, depending on the gig of course.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM you seem very dismissive. All I did was to mention my own experience. Natch, ymmv.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31636
    @ICBM you seem very dismissive. All I did was to mention my own experience. Natch, ymmv.
    No, you said if she has a child she WILL constantly mess you about.

Don't overlay your experience with a feckless hobbyist onto those of us who do it for a living with dedicated professionals of both sexes.

To someone who's asking advice on how to get a paid acoustic duo off the ground, that's utterly irrelevant at best, and trolling at worst.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom