repairing squier bass tuner

Ive got a lefty squier jazz bass and one of the chrome tuners has broken. The flat clover has come away from the peg. It slots into the split in the peg. Lefty parts are hard to get so seems an easy repair but i dont know if it was glued welded or pressed in at the factory before it got chromed. 

Anyone had this happen? Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    It should be the same as a right-handed one but with the key flipped round in the plate - if you undo the big screw that holds the gear on you can take the whole thing apart. Ask at a music shop that does repairs if they have any spare parts - most do, but be aware that there are dozens of slightly different sizes that all look more or less the same without directly comparing, and you need an exact match.

This problem is very common. On the better tuners there is a pin that passes through the two sides of the split shaft and the key (hard to see, it's ground down and plated over afterwards) but the cheap ones seem to be made by just jamming it in and hoping for the best!

If you fancy a bit of DIY engineering you could add the pin - it will never look as neat as a new key but it will work OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Had the same problem with a right handed version. Assuming the clover leaf has just come out of the slot, a tube of epoxy resin and just stick it back. Six months on and still holding together.
    Just remember to remove any excess pretty quickly as once it starts to go off, you are snookered.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Had a similar problem on my Jazz Bass  copy, The leaf was rattling in the slot..a touch of superglue cured it for me.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    I dealt with the precursor of this problem, an annoying rattle from a loose tuning head paddle (mid-eighties Squier P bass) with the gentle tap of hammer to close the gap a little. Worked wonders.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.