Think I've found my perfect thumbpick

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
After some years of searching I think I've found it, Fred Kelly delrin slick pick. Up till now I've either used a bog standard ernie ball plastic one, the sort that are quite long and pointed or a metal pro pic. The issue I had with the ernie ball one was it was too long and I found it ungainly and difficult to get up to any speed with it (I know a lot of people file it down to a more manageable size) and the pro pic, while being much more controllable (being much shorter) I didn't like the clank noise it made when it hit a vibrating string. And both of them sat a bit loosely in the thumb, so percussive thumb stuff was tricky. The Fred Kelly is a good length (about 1/2 way between the 2) and sits tightly in the thumb (yet is still flexible enough to not cause discomfort) and even with some pretty enthusiastic thumb attack it stays put. It gives a nice, defined thumpy bass noise that I really like and responds well to varying levels of palm damping. All in all, very happy customer.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Have a wow .. never heard of Fred Kelly .. will check it out. Up until now I've never found a thumbpick I got on with.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
    I *think* I heard of them from a youtube video of how to play a Nic Jones song and the guy recommended them.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'll try one of those. Up till now, I've been filing down and polishing up standard thumbpicks, not that I use them all the time but they're good for giving the strings a bit of a thump!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
    had a good session last night, really gave them some welly. I like to do a bit of the old percussive thumb thing and other thumbpicks either come off or get tangled up in the strings. Cos these sit so snugly on the thumb that wasn't happening. I could even do some strumming with them, though on my larry heavy picks tend to deaden out the strumming, and even the light thumb pick was too heavy. Guess I need to work on my technique a bit, get a lighter strum going.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Fretwired said:
    Have a wow .. never heard of Fred Kelly .. will check it out. Up until now I've never found a thumbpick I got on with.
    This. I really want to get to grips with a thumb pick but I've always struggled.

Actually, I struggle with fingerstyle generally.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I was getting the hang of a thumb pick, but it was really digging into my nail. I looked at it and i think it is shaped for a righty(im a lefty). I may look for a lefty one. I tried to heat it and bend it but no joy.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Never got the hang of them. I need them pretty tight, but they end up feeling too tight and my thumb gets uncomfortable.

Saw Doyle Dykes live a few times. He is an AMAZING player, but his thumb picks are weird! Very long tip, I have no idea how he plays so well with them. I bought a bunch, I got on a bit better with them by cutting a big chunk off the end.

• I use SharksTooth great for single notes and thumbpicking can be used on a jazz guitar as well  Just the right length for me 
  • I've had similar issues with the Dunlop standard thumb picks. Always feel like i'm gonna break my thumb!

However, I watched a video with Brent Mason and he uses a Herco Flex52 and thought if it's good enough for him, i'll check it out. 

Never going back. It's great, and I didn't need to file it down either! Strumming is lovely and I can switch to picking really easily,
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• jamiejamie Frets: 3
    Thanks for the tip on the Fred Kelly Slick Picks, just got mine and they are great. I ordered the medium (orange) and they are so comfortable.