NGD: Martin 000-15

What's Hot
Sold my Taylor 114ce many years ago and only had a cheapy chinese no name acoustic for the last 2-3 years that was borrowed from a mate who recently needed it back. So was acoustic-less.  Loved the look of the mahogony guitars and also wanted something with a slightly smaller body and easier to play. Didn't want to spend a fortune but nothing too cheap either. Something I could live with for many years and not be scared to play it in the garden, bbqs, camp etc but still have a quality instrument.  So shortlisted down to Martin 000-15,00-15 and Taylor 324ce. Went off to PMT in Southend for a back to back demo.

Martin 00-15 - Very nice sound,  really comfortable body. Bit plain looking but felt good. Had I just played this guitar I would have walked out the shop with it.

Martin 000-15 - very slightly bigger body but still very comfortable and easy to play. But the depth of sound was massive compared to the smaller 00-15.  Again very plain looking and no electrics or fancy binding. Swapped back and forth many times with 00-15 to compare but the 000-15 won the Martin battle for me.

Taylor 324ce - superb looking guitar. Binding around the body and nice detail around the soundhole. Slightly bigger body than the 000-15m, so biggest of the three.  Also had built in electronics so a plus over both the Martins. However the sound for me had no depth to it. Also felt like I was playing an unplugged electric. Anyway played back and forth with the Martin 000-15.

Also tried a Martin 000-17 (I think) which was £400 more expensive just to see if there was much of a difference going up a level. But the 000-15 still won hands down.

I should say that all the guitars felt really comfortable, played nicely and are superb instruments. If was was buying without playing I would have gone either for the Taylor because of the looks or the smaller Martin (00-15) due to the smaller body. Just shows how vital it is playing the instrument before buying it and doing back-to-back demos with others in the shortlist. Anyway enough rambling and some pictures :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    nice, I really like them all 'hog acoustics, should funds and space ever allow I'd like one.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Nice. I'm glad that sound triumphed over bling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    very nice....excellent GAS

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Congrats. I like swirl on the fretboard. I hope it serves you well.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    I'm gassing for one of those so bad just love the look of them.

• Looks like my 12 fretter  They bloom with use and just get better. Pupil has a Taylor nice guitars but weak sounding Enjoy  
  • Yes, very good!! Must admit I preferred the 17 but that is a great guitar. I chose my Larrivee over it but the Martin was still something special. 
  • You gotta love an all mahogany Martin, splendid looking things!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I love my 00-15, great guitars, congrats
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    OOOOh lovely!
  • Very nice. I got one of these the other day, they're great aren't they? 
    Briefly had the D15 years ago and didn't like the all mahogany body so much on a Dread (as far as I remember) but it really seems to suit the smaller models.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    I'm really enjoying playing it. It is so sensitive compared to the chinese cheapy I had. Size is perfect and loving the sound.

• Being big bodied myself the D15 sits comfortably for me I use a SharksTooth pick and it is great for John Hurt blues and for the alternative tunings stuff. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That is lush!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• The green case is amazing lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    @mcsdan

Great purchase! These are one of the best acoustics I have ever played. Love 'em. And they smell sooooo good.

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Thanks. I'm sure it is sounding better everyday and fits like a glove. Other acoustics have always felt uncomfortable but this is so comfy to play.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    And so light!

• t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    I had a play on one of these yesterday at PMT, wow they are fantastic great sound, blew away the other taylors I tried in the price range. Perfect size as well. Gotta sell some more stuff and then one will be mine!
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    I thought the 000 was smaller than the 00. Maybe I'm wrong. I've only played the 000-15 and thought it was sublime. Such great detail in the sound.