Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les paul style guitar with a flat radius neck?

What's Hot
Hey all!

I'm getting back into Les Pauls at the moment. Loving that thick big sound that my strat cant give me, even with humbuckers.

Having set the les paul up i'm not at home with shredding on it should the mood take me as i cant get that nice low action because of the 12'' radius.

Can you guys recommend anything that is in the les paul shape with set neck etc that has a lovely flat radius board or a nice compound board?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Yeah- Feline will make you one and it'll be stunning.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Are the frets level? You should still be able to get a low action on a 12" radius with a good setup.

I'm not sure who does a flat board Les Paul, I thought ESP would but looks like the Eclipse is also 12"..
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    12 is pretty flat in my book. I would say there is a setup issue rather than a radius problem.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    I will probably regret saying this but I am going to look at a Chapman ML-2 for that very reason
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    You could get a really low action on a well set up les Paul (neck angle permitting )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    ESP Eclipse.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    10" is about the flattest board I've got and I can get very low action on that if I wanted it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2015
    Cheers guys. Keep them coming.

I have my les Paul set up with action at 1.5mm on the bass side and 1.3mm on the treble side but it's not working for me.

My Charvel is a compound radius board 12-16'' and I have the action at 1.5mm and 1.2mm and I'm all over it for shredding but the les Paul is a real fight so must be the radius.
  • My wife says 12" is a good starting point. Any more and it can cause problems with dentures...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Could have a look at Hagstrom, they generally have a 15" radius, tho I just spotted one with 12". I had a viking which had a wide -thin neck profile and 15" radius-and  reckon it was shred-worthy if someone was that way inclined, which isn't bad for a retro styled thinline.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited February 2015
    I've got a Tele with 9.5 inch radius and brass saddles with a great action. Very similar to that on a compound radius.

If it is not the setup then it sound like Tue Gibson is a bit of a lemon with the neck angle too steep to full match with the bridge. Did you buy it new?

A Chapman ML-2 has 13.75" radius.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We can refret a Gibson or other LP and add a bit of fallaway and compound radius-ing to the wood (and again to the fret tops too) that will give you shred happy playability.
    Obviously we can do this on LPs that we make too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Will it djent though?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    So the difference is 0.1mm? It's probably more than the radius that's making the difference as that's nothing. The scale length is different and that's going to affect the fret spacing at the top end. The frets are also quite different too. And the geometry of the neck / body angle and bridge height. And the neck profiles are very different too. Basically it's way more than just fretboard radius.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I had a Les Paul with similar issues, and it was just the way it had been put together. I swapped it for a PRS with a 10 inch radius and could get better action.

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2015
    I'm liking the look of the Hagstorm Les Paul shapes and the 15'' radius would be ideal i think. Not far off the 16'' ive got on the charvel but obviously not compound but that would't matter

Fender scale too which i like more :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Gibson do compounds on the fancy new standards IIRC.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Isn't the standard TOM bridge designed with a 12" radius in mind? So if you go to a flatter fretboard but keep the same bridge you would have problems getting the action low because the bridge the outer strings would be lower than the middle strings relative to the frets. I guess you would have to have the bridge modified by filing some of the slots deeper to match the radius of the fretboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'm liking the look of the Hagstorm Les Paul shapes and the 15'' radius would be ideal i think. Not far off the 16'' ive got on the charvel but obviously not compound but that would't matter

I had an Ultra Swede for a while - think that had the fastest neck I've ever had on anything, and the action went as low as anyone could possibly desire.  It made the Ibanez RG I had at the time feel like a stodgy old vintage Strat in comparison. :))

Nice guitar, just not what I was looking for at the time.  Neck was immensely stable, too, which always helps with getting a silly low action.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuzzdog said:

I had an Ultra Swede for a while - think that had the fastest neck I've ever had on anything, and the action went as low as anyone could possibly desire.  It made the Ibanez RG I had at the time feel like a stodgy old vintage Strat in comparison. :))

Nice guitar, just not what I was looking for at the time.  Neck was immensely stable, too, which always helps with getting a silly low action.
    Hey @Fuzzdog , thanks for your input. That was the exact model I'm looking at so thats a great endorsement.