Youtube Videos

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
edited February 2015 in Guitar
So I'm off work with the flu lying on the sofa wrapped in blankets watching random youtube videos to pass the time when I noticed this video

It was the next video in a list and it lasted about 30 secs before I turned it off.  As I clicked the youtube logo I noticed he had nearly 80,000 views!  WTF!!!  I was watching Doug & Pat earlier and realised their biggest video has almost 53, 000 views though most have under 10k.  Why the hell would people rather watch a video by this obnoxious cant play for shit dude talking about how great fakes are when you can watch someone who can actually play with the real deal.  I really don't get it.

Sick rant over I'm going to get more cough medicine and watch some doug & pat. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Views generate views. I have one vid with a lot more views than the others but bits of it make me cringe, my better videos will never catch up though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I did a bit better, I managed nearly 2 minutes of this twat.
    Some people are gluttons for punishment. 30 minutes!!! Never!
  • That PixxyLixxx dude appeared on some videos with ToneKing so that probably explains his popularity.  
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Don't get me started on the tone king worst guitar player ever.

I feel like the Simpsons comic book guy today
    https://bettermusicact.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/simpsons-comic-book-guy-computer.gif
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @Adam_MD - I think maybe you assume the 80,000 views are guitarists. Many will be wannabe guitarists with no real guitar knowledge. To them this guy delivers little snippets of knowledge in digestible form. Doug and Pat videos assume you are already a guitarist or have guitarist knowledge. So wannabes are turned off.

In a similar vein, there is apparently a huge market out there for selling guitar training to folks who almost never play the guitar! Weird but apparently true. Similar results in other hobbies like carpentry/sewing/etc. The explanation I heard was that they are also the kind of folks who buy more books than they ever get round to reading. Go figure...
    @Chalky you're reading way too much into this. I've got the flu, bored mindless and am getting needlessly offended by obnoxious dudes on YouTube who I'd usually just ignore. I'm in full on grump mode.

I'm definitely feeling like the comic book guy today. Any minute now I'll probably start a MD Phillips thread or a why I hate the Tone King in 2 million words or less (probably more). I might even go and join the Chappers is a bell end thread even though I don't mind the guy.
    Ha! So its SERIOUS man flu? You have my sympathies.
    Yeah it's actual flu I haven't taken a sick day in years. I tried to play the guitar earlier but I was way too dizzy for that.

So I'm currently ranting at youtube ;)
    Adam_MD said:
    @Chalky you're reading way too much into this. I've got the flu, bored mindless and am getting needlessly offended by obnoxious dudes on YouTube who I'd usually just ignore. I'm in full on grump mode.

I'm definitely feeling like the comic book guy today. Any minute now I'll probably start a MD Phillips thread or a why I hate the Tone King in 2 million words or less (probably more). I might even go and join the Chappers is a bell end thread even though I don't mind the guy.

2 million words? 2 should cover it "bell end"
  • ToneKing seems to do OK on youtube though.  I'd imagine he's making a shit load of money each month.  
  • As soon as he started mentioning American election it went off.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As soon as he started mentioning American election it went off.
    Yeah typical yanks trying to push their political views at any given chance.
  • Isn't the high view count simply because 80,000 people want to know if they can get a Gibson-quality guitar for a tenth of the price?
    bingefeller;514006" said:
    ToneKing seems to do OK on youtube though.  I'd imagine he's making a shit load of money each month.  
    He's still one of the worlds worst guitar players though who manages to make virtually everything he plays sound shit. Can't remember the last time I tried to watch a video with that balloon in it.
    knuckleberryfinn;514074" said:
    Isn't the high view count simply because 80,000 people want to know if they can get a Gibson-quality guitar for a tenth of the price?
    It's not just the subject though I found the guy utterly obnoxious.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited February 2015
    Adam_MD said:
    bingefeller;514006" said:
    ToneKing seems to do OK on youtube though.  I'd imagine he's making a shit load of money each month.  
    He's still one of the worlds worst guitar players though who manages to make virtually everything he plays sound shit. Can't remember the last time I tried to watch a video with that balloon in it.
    The Tone King does have some very nice amps.  You can see in the background he has a CAE, Soldano, Engl, 5150, Carvins, Mesas...

I think you'd be surprised at how bad some people are yet how much publicity they get.  

For a while I was a member of a guitar lesson site which had some really great players on it.  There was one guy in particular, who taught live to a chatroom via webcam every Sunday, and he was absolutely shite.  He was actually getting paid to do this too.  
    Don't overestimate the judgement of the average youtuber
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm no doctor, but I don't think its flu!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    What you need is an eye catching title. There's footage of some bloke at a Harvard Uni talent show. He's not a bad guitarist but nothing special. Call the vid "World's Greatest Guitarist- Amazing!" And hey presto you have 21 million hits and counting.

Hey, boys and girls. The tone king here.
    I'm going to make everything I've got sound exactly the same 'cos I'm gonna play it all through a ridiculously high gain channel and it'll all sound really mushy.
    I've just learnt how to do squealy pinch harmonics so I'll be throwing loads of those at you.