Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which mainstream amp/guit brand/type do you just don't 'get'?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30951
edited February 2015 in Guitar
We all have our favourites. I could never have a guitar collection without a stratocaster. it's my reference point. Everything else could come and go but that would stay.

However, re mainsteams, I have never 'got' Marshalls. I just don't like them. They look cheap, always did, and the newer models look horrendous. Even inside I've always thought they were thrown together compared to say my lovely Hiwatt. I have never found a Marshall that sounds like I think a Marshall should- they all sound unmusical to me (a Cornell Plexi is what I think they should sound like)

The worst amps I've ever owned have been JCM900's and the horrendous DSL 100w head thing...it was dreadful.

I did quite like my 30th Anniversary- but that was precisely because the clean channel sounded like a Fender

What's you're 'don't get it' brand?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm 'sort of' with you with Marshall - not because any intrinsic issues with the brand - it's simply that I have never been able to coax a sound I like out of one.

Plenty of players I like use them - so I think I have to accept it's just me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    @richardhomer

I think one of the reasons is we don't generally play at enough volume for them

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Same as you. I've never understood Marshalls although I once borrowed a Bluesbreaker and that was rather nice.
    I'm more a Fender man at heart.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    For me it's the Fender Stratocaster. I just don't get it. To me they are uncomfortable to play and I don't like the sound of them. A weedy, jack of all trades, master of none vibe.

**Tin hat on.....**
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The Gibson SG.

Horrid to look at, horrid to play. Errgghhhh. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The Gibson SG.

Horrid to look at, horrid to play. Errgghhhh. 
    + 1.

• Some of the quirkier guitars - Mosrite, Travis Bean, Airline, Danelectro etc... Just don't do it for me...
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    BC Rich
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BC RIch owners fall into 2 catagories

Students
    Endoresees.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender guitars and most of their amps (exception bein a twin)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Anything pointy.

+1 on the sg though, I have an epi one-it's shit. I got it when I was young and knew no better.

I don't get on with Gibson necks at all actually, Much prefer the Fender scale. Which is a shame as it cuts out a lot of nice guitars.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Guitars where the lower bout is much bigger than the upper bout*

*I would've used the word 'horn' but I didn't want any misunderstandings.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited February 2015
    PRS - I don't doubt the quality but never been visually attracted to them. Especially ones with bird inlays - utterly tasteless.

On the other hand I love SG's!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Bloody hell it's the 'slaughter a sacred cow' thread.

For me it's probably Taylor. The ones I've tried have just looked, felt and sounded too clinical and rather 'cold' to me. Never set my pulses racing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Gassage said:
    BC RIch owners fall into 2 catagories

Students
    Endoresees.
    I have only really seen a handful of quality BC Rich guitars. I don't doubt that they can produce some quality high end instruments.
     And that's not flinging mud or trying to start a fight with anyone. They clearly know what business model to run. I just think the competition runs rings around them in terms of quality. I remember a kid in my year at school part exchanging a gorgeous quilted maple Mockingbird for a salmon pink warlock.......because it had a floyd rose on. I can't really comment I px'd a jap squire strat (e series i think) for a boss super chorus....yes really.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.

Skarloey said:

For me it's probably Taylor. The ones I've tried have just looked, felt and sounded too clinical and rather 'cold' to me. Never set my pulses racing.

I have one. I agree.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Gassage;514189" said:
    Skarloey said:

I have one. I agree.
    So there's your next GAS mission right there. ;)
  • Another vote for SG. I don't have anything against, but never could bond with them. I've tried, I've had one and played few others,but magic just isn't there.
    On the other hand, as a youngster I never liked Telecasters, they looked like poor man's Strat to me. Then few years later I just fell in love with them with no apparent reason... So maybe there's still hope for an-awful-ugly-looking SG?
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    BigBearKris;514208" said:
    Another vote for SG. I don't have anything against, but never could bond with them. I've tried, I've had one and played few others,but magic just isn't there.
    On the other hand, as a youngster I never liked Telecasters, they looked like poor man's Strat to me. Then few years later I just fell in love with them with no apparent reason... So maybe there's still hope for an-awful-ugly-looking SG?
    I hated teles as a youngster too, favourite guitar now....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• @Gassage it's odd, nuno makes the dsl sound epic! 

SG's for me, too, though I suspect if I tried the right one, it would all click into place. Most I've tried have had a neck join that means any movement of the guitar on a strap gives pitch modulation... Not cool.