Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chibson Time!

What's Hot

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Spalted veneer top, emgs... Classy Chibson!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    :-&
  • Awful.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Is it my imagination or do all those Chibsons have the exact same serial number?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    Blurrrrrgggggggg 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    What are the black bits below the bridge?

I wouldn't mind a Chibson to mod to be honest.
  • axisus said:

I think they might be the thumbprints of the nice man / lady who put the finish on it.  
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Reported, but I doubt eBay will do anything. I might start emailing details of the stuff I report to trading standards too, including the fact that I've reported to eBay and no action was taken.

Bastards.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    axisus said:

I think they might be the thumbprints of the nice man / lady who put the finish on it.  

on a burl it would be a bark instrusion.  here it was probably a bad bit of spalt that crumbled away completely and needed to be filled.   I has some beautiful splated maple, but most of its texture was like sponge and it crumbled when touched.  I have had good results stabilising small areas of crumbly spalt before, but sometimes its just too far gone
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    edited February 2015
    hobbio said:
    Reported, but I doubt eBay will do anything. I might start emailing details of the stuff I report to trading standards too, including the fact that I've reported to eBay and no action was taken.

Bastards.
    http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Report-Counterfeits.aspx ;

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    To be fair to the seller, he's not touting it as a Gibson but he's a bit naughty by showing the peghead logo.
    hobbio said:

Bastards.
    http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Report-Counterfeits.aspx ;

Thanks, reported! Do Fender have the same sort of thing @MattFGBI?

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited February 2015
    ukqueries@fender.com 

You can let us know there and we will try and take stuff off eBay etc. It's quite tricky, we have to jump through many hoops. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

Thanks mate, I shall bear that in mind.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    That really is terrible. I can understand them cutting corners on small details, but why cant they even trace the outline of a Les Paul successfully?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they don't because it means you can spot them a mile away, but it seems odd to me that they work on some of the details but can't even be arsed to draw a line around the nearest Epiphone.

Is it just one factory producing these things, and why hasn't anyone found it? Always the same out of proportion headstock, logo in the same incorrect place, same serial number, split diamond always too small, same old stuff.

This isn't some worldwide forgery industry, this is a factory churning out the crappy design of one man. It must be possible to track it down, surely?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That body looks like I've tried to draw a LP outline freehand
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Aww, you gotta give them some credit for trying to draw Sid from Ice Age on the bottom though...

• p90fool said:
    That really is terrible. I can understand them cutting corners on small details, but why cant they even trace the outline of a Les Paul successfully?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they don't because it means you can spot them a mile away, but it seems odd to me that they work on some of the details but can't even be arsed to draw a line around the nearest Epiphone.

Is it just one factory producing these things, and why hasn't anyone found it? Always the same out of proportion headstock, logo in the same incorrect place, same serial number, split diamond always too small, same old stuff.

This isn't some worldwide forgery industry, this is a factory churning out the crappy design of one man. It must be possible to track it down, surely?
    Probably be able to track down the factory relatively easily. But I wonder how much Gibson or anyone else could do about it after that.
  • There's blueprints all over the internet for guitars, plans commercially available especilly for the 59 Les Paul with a ridiculous degreee of accuracy. It always amazes me when these obvious fakes come up, like they can't even get the body shape right!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ElectroDan;515935" said:
    p90fool said:

Probably be able to track down the factory relatively easily. But I wonder how much Gibson or anyone else could do about it after that.
    There's easily more than one factory, and it really isn't hard to find them. The problem is that counterfeiting doesn't fall under the same protection laws in China, so no action can be taken against them there.