PSA: Jet City JCA22H, £211 + free delivery

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26703
edited August 2013 in Amps
I know a few people were interested in these:

UPDATE: Better prices at Jet City's UK store here: http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/checkout/

They're due to arrive tomorrow. I kinda regret selling mine (didn't think I was going to be gigging any time soon, so didn't need a spare).

One thing to note - they've fixed the effects loop design. On the JCA50H and JCA100H, it was before the tone stack (useful if you're using it as a power amp for a modeller or other preamp, not so much in every other instance). Now it's after the master volumes...
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    They have a great price on the 50 as well!    I'd buy one now if I could live with the look of them.      

btw can the 50w get a decent clean sound as well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26703
    John_P said:
    They have a great price on the 50 as well!    I'd buy one now if I could live with the look of them.      

They're very easily moddable - for example, have a look at mine:

You can get a decent clean out of the 50H, but it's a bit tricky if your pickups are insanely hot. The stock ceramics in my Jaden Rose S2 are mental, which means a slightly-broken-up clean is the best I can do (that said, I really prefer it that way). You can do much cleaner than that if you've got something around the output level of a Hot Slag or lower.
    <space for hire>
    That does look a million times better!      At £250 for a 50W head I am seriously tempted.

Is yours the 100HMD or a 50?
    The 100HDM gets that front panel as stock - mine's a JCA50H. I don't think you can get those specific front panels in the UK any more, but you could either order one from Jet City in the US, or do what I did with my first 22H - I just bought a mesh radiator grille from a sports car parts shop and cut it down to size. Works surprisingly well :)

Another popular mod that goes with the mesh panel is white/cream chickenhead knobs.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the info -  I'm pretty set on buy an EVH but if I don't see one in the next couple of weeks I might order an JCA50H and give it a try -  at the price I can't even think of a used head that would come close to the features and sound.
    No problem - just for your info, though, Thomann's prices are approximately 45% off normal retail for those amps, and they normally sell out within a week or two every time they get a shipment in.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Great overdrive sounds from these. The clean tones I had from my 100H weren't all that though.
    Drew_fx said:
    Great overdrive sounds from these. The clean tones I had from my 100H weren't all that though.
    I guess it all depends what you like in terms of clean - I don't like my cleans to be particularly clean, so they suit me down to the ground (as you well know) :)

I think I'm going to get a JCA22H from them. I think I've buggered my 50H's power valves (left it on for a few hours by accident during the insane heat a couple of weeks back, when I came back one of the valves was shining like a 40W bulb and the chassis was too hot to touch); it still works but it feels like it's lost a bit of low end, so I'll grab a 22H to use while it's in the shop. I've got some £££ in PayPal from the sale of the MJW Roadstar, anyway...
    <space for hire>
  • +1 on the 22h. Great little amp for the money, bought one just before Thonmann sold out last time. Gets taken out more times to gigs than any other of my amps now!
    FYI: Just heard back from Thomann. I asked when they'd be in stock:

" We have ordered the item and the delivery should be in in the middle of this month."

Slightly delayed shipment, it seems.
    <space for hire>
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited August 2013
    John_P said:

depends on your definition of "decent", lol. I think the cleans are quite nice (EDIT: admittedly I think I've grown to like them rather than liked them from the start), but then I care more about distortion (at least with an amp like that) and only play at home volumes. How much headroom it has when you start to up the volume, I dunno. I suspect the preamp is the problem rather than the poweramp headroom (i.e. it's got a crunch channel rather than a clean channel), but it's not going to get cleaner as you turn it up, either, lol.

But yeah for £250 it's a virtual no-brainer. It's the reason I got mine :D
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    These always come up when I've got no cash :(
    edited August 2013
    Si_ said:
    These always come up when I've got no cash :(
    That's OK, I'll probably be selling mine again in a few months :D

I've just noticed that Thomann have added to the range they stock - they've got the JetDirect boxes and the Jetstream ISO12 (1x12" isolation cab). Hmmmmmmmmmm.

EDIT: Ooooo...and a Mk II version of the original JCA2112RC combo. I've just sent Jet City an email to find out what's different about the spec that warrants a "Mk II" designation...
    <space for hire>
    Another update...this has just gone live:

Prices seem to be slightly lower than Thomann's, and it's UK delivery.

Looks like the PayPal account's about to get a pounding...
    <space for hire>
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Cool
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Man o man those are insanely cheap.
    edited August 2013
    Look at the 1x12" and 4x12" - integrated MicSim emulated XLR line outputs. Awesomez. I'm seriously tempted by the 1x12" (I already bought a JCA22H earlier...).
    <space for hire>
  • If only I had some money. Am saving it for a new games console.

Daft thing is I don't need one. I've got a lovely Ironheart head and a Laney Cub 12 combo.

I would like a small EL84 head though. Maybe I'll ask the birthday fairy.  :)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Ooo that's well useful. 
    I'm kind of wishing I had a head and cab as I need a Fender for my funk escapades, but a cheap head for the brootalz would be ace. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    the combos seem a bit dearer than thomann (which is kinda academic, admittedly, since thomann almost never has the combos in stock).

also i wonder what the delivery costs are. thomann is free, which is pretty good.