Am I crazy for buying the same guitar twice?

What's Hot
MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
So, I just bid for and won an ESP LTD KH-602 on the bay. Problem is, I've already got one.

I'm a big Metallica fan and I really love the guitar and how it plays, but the one I've got is in mint condition and lives in a hard case. I hardly ever get it out because I don't want to damage it, but it kills me as I really love playing the thing.

So, when I saw a slightly more beat up one for sale for a decent price, I thought if I got that one I could actually start playing it and take it to practice/gigs without worrying about knocking it or wearing it out...

AM I CRAZY?! 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    nope, if you have the funds and it's makes you happy, spot on. :) good on ya 

Awaits the arrival of the barrage of "guitars are to be played" comments.... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Change the pickups and you'll have a different guitar.

Or at least a different sounding guitar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    although you'll probably sell the mint one later as you have less connection with it ;) 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

In my KH ESP, I have a DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF and a Fred.

Work really well in the guitar. I'd suggest trying something slightly different pickup wise, and you'll have a really versatile new/old guitar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Keep buying them up, and burn the duplicates... that way you increase the value of your original guitar. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As they're Ltd models, I wouldn't forsee any value increase.

In other words, play the hell out of both of them. Great guitars come from that factory, and that's what they're there for. A pickup change will give you a different sounding thing.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited February 2015
    Well, good advice on the pickup swap, but the even crazier thing is... I've already got an ESP Horizon with SD JB and 59s, which I use as my main guitar. The plan was to use this as the backup to play the heavier songs that we do, like Metallica stuff. So, I think the EMGs will probably stay.  :-S

BTW, I'm not as loaded as it may seem... I paid a pretty good price for it considering it's an £800 guitar...
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    not crazy at all...there are heaps of people who have more than 1 LP with same pickups, but different finish etc...i dont see a difference between that and yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Just try not to get semen on this one ok?
  • Crazy, not crazy...

Pics!
    DesVegas said:
    Just try not to get semen on this one ok?
    Ha, yeah, the pickup jack in the other one is always gunked up for some reason...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @Maynehead - Yes. Crazy. Totally. In the world of men....

But here in the dimly lit world guitarists? No - your reasoning sounds totally logical!

Time for my meds 8-}
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    put the spare in a different tuning
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SO YOU, @Maynehead, are the one that nabbed it from me with a last second bid?! Well, congratulations! It would have been a bit impractical for me to pick it up from Manchester anyway, so enjoy! Lots of pics, please! :D
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    Ah that old trick.

Never have them both out at the same time and she who must be obeyed has no idea you've bought a new guitar.She just thinks it's the old one.

Genius!

;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    SO YOU, @Maynehead, are the one that nabbed it from me with a last second bid?! Well, congratulations! It would have been a bit impractical for me to pick it up from Manchester anyway, so enjoy! Lots of pics, please! :D
    LOL, I'm sorry mate, didn't mean to bid against a fellow forum member!

Tell you what, I'm going to get it, take it apart, give it a deep clean, get all the rust off the screws etc, source a new trem arm, fill in the chips, make it look brand new again (like I do with all my guitar purchases). Then after that if I come to my senses and realise that I really don't need 2 of the exact same guitar, I'll drop you a PM and maybe sort something out... how does that sound?

Ah that old trick.

Never have them both out at the same time and she who must be obeyed has no idea you've bought a new guitar.She just thinks it's the old one.

Genius!

;)
    Great minds...
  • Maynehead said:
    SO YOU, @Maynehead, are the one that nabbed it from me with a last second bid?! Well, congratulations! It would have been a bit impractical for me to pick it up from Manchester anyway, so enjoy! Lots of pics, please! :D

Tell you what, I'm going to get it, take it apart, give it a deep clean, get all the rust off the screws etc, source a new trem arm, fill in the chips, make it look brand new again (like I do with all my guitar purchases). Then after that if I come to my senses and realise that I really don't need 2 of the exact same guitar, I'll drop you a PM and maybe sort something out... how does that sound?

Very gracious of you sir! Please do keep me in mind, but enjoy your purchase too. I was thinking of 'KH-4'ing it, with a white pickguard...
    edited February 2015
    Maynehead said:

Very gracious of you sir! Please do keep me in mind, but enjoy your purchase too. I was thinking of 'KH-4'ing it, with a white pickguard...
    Now that's an idea... but where would you source a pick guard from, or were you going to make one yourself?

BTW I won't be getting the guitar for a month or so as I'm going to ask my parents who are in Manchester to pick it up for me, and I'll collect it when I next visit them. If I do decided to let it go though you'll be the first one to know.
  • That's the issue, for sure. I was going to make a template myself and get it made. There are a couple of people who have done this to their KH's and it looks pretty good to me... ie: image
    I did think about getting in touch with the seller of this one to ask about templates, as it looks pretty close to me! Always go for a plain white though, over pearloid, me!