NGD x2: Ibanez RG and Harley Benton LP *added Pink!*

What's Hot
NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
edited February 2015 in Guitar
What a day!

Very happy with these two;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/A0E193E9-FEF6-4A08-B605-322F9396BC1D_zpsbn4xvxtm.jpg

The Ibanez is a 1992 RG550. It did have the S1 Middle and V1 neck original pickups but a generic bridge. Now it has Ibanez Prestiege Dimarzio/IBZ in it. Hot pink. There are pink knobs, switch tip and strap on the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/14EC793A-4FE3-4A61-9F30-C176BFADF489_zpsrghhtoni.jpg

Has no TRC and doesn't appear to have ever had one given there are no screw holes around it. The neck is a wizard, nicely played in with huge frets. Got the action to 1.5 mm low E 1.25 mm high E at 17th fret. Rings true with a hint of buzz. Needs to settle in as I stripped it diwn and took the neck off and took a load of relief out of the neck. It's now almost dead straight.

The new pickups are getting magnet swaps to A5 bridge A4 neck. It's a tone that cuts through but lacks subtlety at the moment. Bridge is over 12k and neck over 8k so it'll tame them a bit as they're both Ceramic.

Now this one was for the Modding thread but it may not get near it!

Gorgeous Honeyburst HB LP 450 plus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/5B69A3A7-5B89-4568-8A34-7FC4BC4DC6D9_zpssep35hqi.jpg

3 piece back, diagonal seams! Two piece top, there is a couple of mm of maple bit covered by the binding in the treble cut away so may well be a proper maple cap rather than a thin veneer. Great colour and a flame top. Not very 3D but it's there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/8A1EC6A5-7B86-4580-B3B3-EF22B37AA23D_zps2dg1agcc.jpg

Not had more than a few mins with this as I set up the RG from scratch and did the puckups. However, I'd say 60's slim neck, nice fretwork and can't really see any major finishing problems. Sounds good but I need to set it up. The action was 3mm bass and treble at 17th fret. Ive lowered the bridge but need to have a look at the neck relief tomorrow night. Still, it pays fine and sounds good so far but I think I can get it better.

Exceptional for the money!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice on both counts. You are the king of inexpensive gear!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    TRC?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    You certainly couldn't get two new guitars as far apart in style as those two!
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    daveyh;523964" said:
    TRC?
    Truss Rod Cover.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    How many guitars do you have now Niall? And how many are currently in bits? :D
    I've lost count. I think it's 23 with possibly three complete ones in bits.
  • Nice Gas

Les paul looks lovely and I much prefer the HB headstock over and Epiphone.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Very nice :D

Fingers crossed the knobs are the same colour as the pickups. I ordered hot pink volume and tone knobs a while back and I had to send them back because they were a very obviously different shade. :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They are slightly different. More Fuscia than pink. I'll live with them for a couple of days, see how the strap matches. Not a massive problem I'll just get normal pink ones.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited February 2015
    Love the RG
    Niallmo said:
    They are slightly different. More Fuscia than pink. I'll live with them for a couple of days, see how the strap matches. Not a massive problem I'll just get normal pink ones.
    yeah the ones i got were just different enough that it was a bad clash :(
    At the moment it's ok. Not massively noticeable. I'll get the lighter pink to see if it's better but it's not bad at the moment.

The neck is just amazing, I can see why, with the classical technique that it's one of the best. It's just effortless and I feel like it's scalloped I'm playing with such a light touch.

I've set up the Honey Monster (as it shall henceforth be known). When I say set up I mean I've lowered the bridge by half on each side so it's about 1.75 mm bass and 1.5 mm treble at the 17th fret. It still plays cleanly and the very small touch of neck relief was spot on so I've left that alone. I also oiled the fretboard.

It plays better than any other LP type I've had (which includes a few Tokais, Epiphones and a full on Gibson LP standard). Sounds great, nice chunk to the lower register and a suitable growl about the mids without being harsh. I can't actually see a way of modding it to make it better, perhaps replace the tuners, although I'm guessing a bit of Servisol might sort out the scratchiness.

Well impressed with both guitars.
    I can't remember for sure but I have a vague feeling that I actually ordered two different shades of pink (hot pink and regular pink) and neither matched :)) But I might be misremembering.

But yeah those Ibanez prestiges are pretty nice.

That's pretty sweet about the HB as well, if it's as nice as that considering how cheap it is. :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/B07C33DD-0FE1-4421-8B17-4DD6B6479CD6_zpsy6qepybc.jpg Might get to do the pick up magnet swap tonight. Will shortly have some lighter pink controls on the way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    the lighter ones might be too pale pink :))

IIRC yours look very similar to the ones I got, the hot pink ones were halfway to purple and it was pretty obvious unfortunately. Though they match your strap- mine is more just regular pink (ernie ball i think?).