Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a decline in the popularity of PRS guitars ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

I think it is a shame that PRS can't complete with Gibson and Fender on the history front.  That is one battle they will never win and in that regard their used market value will always suffer. 

This might sound strange, it feels as though they almost need a period of making crappy guitars, like both Gibson and Fender went through in the 70's era just to wake people up to appreciate what well made instruments they are making right now.  Although a part of me feels that is coming in a way, time will catches up with Paul himself and depending how he leaves the company behing, it may suffer the same fate as Gibson did.  Perhaps there is a reason to get a PRS now but it is not a gamble I would want to take though.

I often wonder what will happen to PRS after Paul has left.  Will they still hold regular meetings where they open random boxes from the production line to see if you could gig with them straight from the box or will be there be more of a that'll do attitude?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MD;524525" said:
    I often wonder what will happen to PRS after Paul has left.  Will they still hold regular meetings where they open random boxes from the production line to see if you could gig with them straight from the box or will be there be more of a that'll do attitude?
    I wonder if he has a succession plan?

Certainly we know from Fender what can happen if a company fall into the wrong hands. Equally their post-CBS resurgence shows you don't neccessarily need the founder at the helm to return to past glories.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've never owned a PRS, but I've played 2 USA models and they were lovely. I've never gassed for one though.

The only PRS that I'm gassing for is the S2 Starla.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892

He could do what Bob Taylor has done.  He basically sat down one day and wrote on a list what luthier he was after to take over from him, some of the criterias were very extreme to say the least, somehow Andy Powers fulfilled his criteria.

1 - Has to be an accomplished guitar player, so he can see things from the player's perspective
    2 - Not an employee of Taylor Guitars, so he brings in new ideas
    3 - Has 20 years of guitar making experience, made his first guitar at the age of 8
    4 - under the age of 30

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Adam_MD;524525" said:
    I wonder if he has a succession plan?

Certainly we know from Fender what can happen if a company fall into the wrong hands. Equally their post-CBS resurgence shows you don't neccessarily need the founder at the helm to return to past glories.
    I'd be amazed if he didn't.  I think with Paul though he'll probably leave that factory (or their next one) in a guitar shaped box.  He might step down from the company at some point but I doubt he'll leave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2015
    To be honest Id like a Singlecut. Regarding Image...Im not worried about image. I just want stuff that works. Ive owned 3 Les Pauls in the last 12 years & yeah its a classic design, but is it as well made as a PRS? Cool means nothing if you've tuning problems onstage in a packed club of paying punters. The cool guitars let me down....my Ibanez RG's, my Fender Japan, my PRS don't.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I actually love playing my cu22.
    I am lucky enough to have one if each of usa Fender,Gibson,PRs plus a Godin, Martyn Booth ,Ibanez and Yamaha.
    They are all my favourites when I am playing them. They are all different and perform different for me. All this talk has made me think a cu 24 would be a good addition :-)

Then all I would need is a nice jazz box, and a classical to have a complete family
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 459
    I've just bought (from the US) the PRS I've been after for years but could never afford until prices have fallen as low as they currently are - got an agonising couple of weeks to wait until it arrives
    cm01 said:
    I've just bought (from the US) the PRS I've been after for years but could never afford until prices have fallen as low as they currently are - got an agonising couple of weeks to wait until it arrives
    Do tell....what did you get?
  • No, PRS have always been poo. But in more serious terms, I've owned most PRS models - none lasted very long. it's been a couple of years since I owned any but the single cut was traded for circa 1k, the cu22 was sold for 800 and the ce24 was sold for 600 or so and that's several years ago.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Never owned one and never played one! I just don't like how they look and think the brand sucks. Roger over and out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    Never owned one and never played one! I just don't like how they look and think the brand sucks. Roger over and out.
    refreshing honesty!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • capo4th;524883" said:
    I think the level of rigour in your analysis is so great, it would be foolish for any of us to argue with it.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The moment Nickelback stopped being cool, PRSs were always going to take a hit.  :-\"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When were Nickelback ever cool?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 459
    RaymondLin;
    Do tell....what did you get?[/quote said:

[quote="RaymondLin;524844"]cm01 said:

An '86 (pre) standard - made even more affordable because the original T&B pickups have been swapped out for Seymours which doesn't bother me in the slightest - all mahogany finished in black pearl, miles away from most people's idea of what a PRS should look like!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Adam_MD said:
    When Paul leaves or, more likely, pops it, that's when prices will finally rise and those with £1k bought customs will be laughing.

Still don't want one though.
    edited February 2015
    cm01 said:
    Do tell....what did you get?[/quote">
    RaymondLin;
    Do tell....what did you get?[/quote said:

[quote="RaymondLin;524844"]cm01 said:

An '86 (pre) standard - made even more affordable because the original T&B pickups have been swapped out for Seymours which doesn't bother me in the slightest - all mahogany finished in black pearl, miles away from most people's idea of what a PRS should look like!
    The one made in by Paul when he was on West St ?

If it's true, these are like Les Paul between 57-59 in the PRS world ! Even less of them about. 
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    For some reason PRS prices were at an all time high in April 2013:

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Big pnw pedal boards are the new PRS