Graveyard watch

What's Hot
angel1058angel1058 Frets: 0
edited February 2015 in Making Music
Hi

Newbie here. I can make a few chord shapes but struggling to identify strum patterns. There's a song, Graveyard near The House, by a little know US group - The Airborne Toxic Event. Plenty of vids in YouTube. I can read the tab, make the chords, but can't figure his strum pattern. I like the DD UDU type notation if anyone cares to help out a budding acoustic guitarist sing a beautiful song to his wife on her birthday. I have about 4 months to sort this :). Haven't posted links as some forums get funny about it. I'm a claw hammer banjo player - guitar is proving to be one string too many for me. Thanks for reading, thanks for helping if you do.

Cheers

Malcolm
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited February 2015
    I find myself doing DD DUD for most of it. The problem with strum patterns is they don't tell you the timing. That's roughly as I would play triplets, with a missed stroke (up) after the first two, so I think 6/4 or 3/2 (1-and- 2-and-a). At a guess, I'm terrible at counting time. The exact strumming varies a bit, some verses finish with UDU and others he plays two eighths instead of a quarter at the end.
    The bit in the bridge ("And it seems a little less profound" etc.) is a walking bassline, so just a single strum per beat and hit the lowest note on each chord more than the others (barely brush the next couple of strings) to emphasize it. David Hodges on Guitar Noise has a really good podcast series on strumming that deals with this kind of thing http://www.guitarnoise.com/podcasts/
    Links!

TATE aren't that obscure, my brother's quite a fan. Though I seem to remember them being louder, maybe there are two?

Minor administrative point, if this is your first post you're obviously expected to get a round in, I'm sure people will be around with orders shortly... ;)

Edit: I'm kind of assuming you're looking at the chords on the 'capo 3' version at ultimate guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    id do d du du
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Imalone. What a response - thank you. And if you were Leicestershire based I would get the rounds in. Will digest more what you've written tonight but really appreciate the detailed response. And will dig out that podcat.

Cheers

Malc