Jazzmaster pickups vs p90 pickups

What's Hot
Hello all, 

I have a classic player jazzmaster which from my understanding has stock pickups. 

I alwas thought they were p90's until recently, turns out jazzmaster pickups arent p-90s! 

Whats the difference?!?!?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @therose789

This article might help you out mate

http://mmguitarbar.com/2013/07/23/demystifying-the-fender-jazzmaster-and-jaguar-pt-4-pickup-lines/
    the previous three parts make good reading too
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wulfhere;527431" said:
    @therose789

This article might help you out mate

http://mmguitarbar.com/2013/07/23/demystifying-the-fender-jazzmaster-and-jaguar-pt-4-pickup-lines/

the previous three parts make good reading too
    Thanks mate! Very informative
  • And now after reading that article i do have p-90s! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Well, almost.

I like CP pickups but they don't sound like a Jazzmaster.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AjotenAjoten Frets: 7
    edited September 2021
    I had the same question but found this thread... to avoid duplicating the thread I shall resurrect because that link just gives me a 404 error in 2021. Can anyone give a summary of the article?

My specifiic question is given the Jazzmaster was originally designed for jazzers, are the pickups different enough to be more  or less "suitable" than P90s? And if I bought one that actually had P90s under the cover, would it not be playing the game?

EDIT: Ignore me! This works (httpS not http)
    https://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/demystifying-the-fender-jazzmaster-and-jaguar-pt-4-pickup-lines/

EDIT #2: So is it possible to identify guitars that DO have proper JM pickups and not P90s? Or should I assume that ALL are, in fact, P90s in disguise and after-market is the only way to go?
  • And now after reading that article i do have p-90s! 
    Aren't they the same bobbin size(ish) with a bar magnet across the bottom?

Its been a while since I have seen one
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I don't think Jazzmaster pickups have a bar magnet. 
  • I love reading this sort of stuff. I now really want to try a Jazzmaster though.

The "visual reminder" of the difference between P90s and JM pickups made me laugh.
  • Fuengi said:
    They don't but a p90 does?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Fuengi said:
    They don't but a p90 does?
    P90s have two!
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Jazzmaster pickups are essentially a flattened Strat pickup, P90s are essentially an overwound screw side bobbin of a humbucker powered by two bar magnets. Entirely different tones.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited September 2021
    Alegree said:
    Jazzmaster pickups are essentially a flattened Strat pickup, P90s are essentially an overwound screw side bobbin of a humbucker powered by two bar magnets. Entirely different tones.
    Cheers for the info.  How do your FeCrCo P90's compare to standard P90's?
  • Go Jazzmaster, they are musical and toasty warm, P90s are hard! IMHO....
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    Cheers for the info.  How do your FeCrCo P90's compare to standard P90's?
    Louder, brighter, tighter. Pretty much a half way between P90 and Jazzmaster.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes Jazzmaster pickups don’t even sound like Jazzmaster pickups! I own an old Fender Japan Jazzmaster which didn’t sound anything like a Jazzmaster until I installed a pair of Fender USA Custom Shop Jazzmaster pickups. On removing the Japanese ones I found that they were basically Strat pickups in Jazzmaster covers.