Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RotM #7 - Voting (Short month = short voting period)

What's Hot
Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Riff of the Month #7

Voting closes on the 28th of February at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Here's my votes for rotm 7.

1st (5pts) @Paul_Blackskin - love the heavy riffing, monster tone etc. Really rockin, dark, effort.

2nd (3pts) @Kin - Love the timing and just general oddity of this. Like how the guitars build over the course. Nicely done.

3rd (1pts) @Downsideup11 - This totally reminds of an experimental track I recorded about 15 yrs ago. I recorded it on cassette 4 track and lost the tape a few later. Just love it for the general weirdness, FX, brave effort. 

Can I just comment if I may that this month was far harder to choose who to vote for than last month. There were another 3 or 4 I was torn between that I could have voted for. Special mention to for @DesVesgas just for the title of his riff (which was rockin) Hit The Deck It's The Falcon Punch. If that was a song on Itunes, I'd buy it!

Well that's it, a very high standard this month, well done to everyone. There wasn't a riff I didn't like. All amazing. Not just saying that either.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My name gone done been spelt wrong in the file!

Anyhow... Tough choices. But im leaning towards the tracks the riffs that are far away from my sound...

1) Steamabacus - Droplets ... Very nice, would go great over a relaxed EDM style track

2) Che - Tiki Fiyah ... Funky as hell. Great playing and backing track.

3) Sam Zadgan - ROTM ... Chilled. Sounds like an intro that would fit a calexico track.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My votes

@Antique_Guitars .. 5 points

@SteamAbacus .. 3 points

@Hobbio .. 1 point

Some great entries ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bucket, @Paul...and @Che, 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively for me.

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Special mentions to @Ché , @Bucket , @Horse , @Axeweildingbastard , @Hobbio , @SteamAbacus , @Antique_Guitars and @Fretwired

These are my top list and I've no idea how I'm going to choose a top 3.  Will have another listen and do my best.

Well done to everyone who entered.  Enjoyed listening to all of them.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited February 2015

1st @Bucket 2nd @Bingefeller 3rd @samzadgan

I decided to get my vote in tonight, I must have changed my mind about which riffs would get the points about ten times today and I really need to get some work done tomorrow instead.

So, if your not in my top three now, you probably were at some point during the day, really difficult choice to pick just three.

• Glad someone mentioned my name in this thread so I got a notification as I didn't realise voting started today.

1: @SamZadgan - very nice.  Reminds me of Eno / Fripp.  
    2: @Paul_Blackskin - love it.   
    3:  @SteamAbacus - like the exotic feel on this.  
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Another tricky month to choose, but think these were my faves:

1) @Bucket - fantastic speedy funky hendrix vibe, great tone and influence, but brought something new & fresh to it
    2) @che - at least 2 great riffs in there, and maybe one of the best sounding recordings we've heard so far in ROTM? 
    3) @desvegas - I'm always a sucker for those kind of muted harmonics. Great urgent bluesy feel
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Holy shit this is tough! I had about 7 that could have filled the 3 spaces, so in the end I went for the ones that had my head nodding the most!

1 - @Paul_Backskin - 5 points
    2 - @Bucket - 3 points
    3 - @AndyJP - 1 point

Really high standard for all entries, we've got some proper riffmeisters around these parts!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• 1.  lloyds - This Charming Riff - 5 points
    2.  DesVegas - Hit the Deck it's the Falcon Punch - 3 points
    3.  Paul_Blackskin - RPTM PB - 1 point

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    edited February 2015
    Firstly I was kicking myself for not having managed to get something recorded and submitted this month.

But then I listened to the playlist and decided that it really wouldn't have made a lot of difference to the voting if I had.  This "competition" is getting better and better with an ever-widening range of musical styles covered and (to my ears) quality improving every month.

There's stuff on the playlist that I'd like to listen to more of - ie the rest of the track, or the rest of the album - and there's other stuff on here that isn't for me, but the riff still appeals as a great riff.  Given the name of this compo, I've tried to vote on the basis of the riff itself rather than whether or not I'd like to hear the rest of the track/album ...

1st place  @spark240

2nd place  @Bucket

3rd place  @DesVegas

4th place (yes, I know there's no vote for 4th) to Ché.  I thought the first 20-odd secs was a great riff, which was slightly diluted by the rest of the track that sounded more like a verse backing to me rather than a pure this-is-the-focus riff.  That's something that applied to some of the other tracks too (that's my critique anyways).

I have to make honourable mentions for the Antique_Guitars piece, SteamAbacus (as usual), Daveww & Horse (ditto!), Andy JP (for being so different) and lloyds.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Tough one to choose. Loads of great entries this month but in the end my 'gut feelings' have picked out ...

3rd (1 point)   @Hobbio - Saturday Slice

2nd (3 points) @Ché - Tiki Fiyah

1st (5 points)  @Bingefeller - Feburiffage
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    edited February 2015
    @horse @dulcetjones @ttony Thank you for all my points so far chaps. I'm looking forward to going through the riffs this evening and giving out points to my top three.

It might be worth mentioning i am going to be voting very politically this month and i my votes can be easily bought .. PM me ok. ta
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Here's my votes folks!

1st @Ché Tiki Fiya
    2nd @Hobbio Saturday Slice
    3rd @Horse Blues Minor

Great stuff everybody! Very difficult to pick these out and prioritise..

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    DesVegas said:
    @horse @dulcetjones @ttony Thank you for all my points so far chaps. I'm looking forward to going through the riffs this evening and giving out points to my top three.

It might be worth mentioning i am going to be voting very politically this month and i my votes can be easily bought .. PM me ok. ta
    How much for a 5 pointer ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited February 2015
    Ok....so my votes are--

1st place -  @PVO_Dave - this is right up my street, I could listen to a whole track based around the riff.

2nd place  - @Antique_guitars - great catchy riff, I was hooked after 15 seconds, it must be good ;-)

3rd place -  @Bucket - nice sound, good riff, well payed.

I really liked Che, but I just felt it became a bit more than a riff...great idea though.

Well done everyone .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Alrighty, I've had a listen to all the tracks/riffs... i have my favourites.. so lets start with the bidding.

@spark240 i'll take an ehx mini spark boost for 5 of my points :)
    DesVegas said:
    Alrighty, I've had a listen to all the tracks/riffs... i have my favourites.. so lets start with the bidding.

@spark240 i'll take an ehx mini spark boost for 5 of my points :)

Well ...its uncanny...almost like you know I have one of those going spare 1

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @spark240 haha!! looks like you'll need to get it to me by lunchtime tomorrow for 5 big ones :D
  • Well done everyone - another diverse batch of riffs.  My votes;

• 1st place (5 pts) Hobbio - Saturday Slice. Perhaps it's more on the way to being a fully realized song than an actual riff but I love it - want to hear what happens after 55 seconds!
    • 2nd place (3 pts) Axewieldingbastard - Voice 084. Strangely evocative and hypnotic - like it a lot.  The length of the piece certainly helps in this regard - wish it was longer.....
    • 3rd place (1 pt) Daveww - Riff #7. Short, repetitive, simple and catchy - everything a great riff should be.