Hondo acoustic guitar

RockerRocker Frets: 4981
edited February 2015 in Acoustics
Yesterday in a charity shop in Dublin, I saw a black Hondo acoustic guitar with a €50 price tag. Looked in reasonable condition, I did not play it but it looked OK. Bargain or firewood?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    (should be in the acoustic section)

You need to try it to be sure, but I'd suggest closer to firewood than bargain.    Hondo  (not Honda)  were a super cheap brand that couldn't hold a candle to modern budget brands.    Always worth trying though - at that price if it's playable it could be handy for a travel/camping acoustic that you won't worry about damaging.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I can think of cheaper firewood if you just want to keep warm.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Never seen a Hondo acoustic...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• In the '70s and '80s they made everything from cheap tat to some really nice instruments.  I've got an '80s HL5 FBB (Gibson L5 copy) and they're superb.  I've also got a similar age Hondo 12-string Martin copy and it's certainly not as well made by any means, but not utter crap and sounds good, grover tuners etc (although it's not as nice as a modern Tanglewood or similar).

So give it a try as had been mentioned - could be rubbish, could be OK.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Some of them are very nice for old plywood guitars. Some are possibly closer to firewood, but not most of them.

True story:

Many years ago I had a Hondo Everly Brothers copy. I also had a Lowden, which was a beautifully-made, beautiful-sounding guitar but totally not 'me'. (I like Neil Young-type acoustic sounds, all thump and mids rather than clarity and delicacy.) I thought the Hondo almost sounded better, and I'm really not kidding - it was certainly not as responsive or subtle, but it had that old-acoustic sort of sound and midrange warmth which the Lowden couldn't do. One day when we needed money for something and I was thinking about selling the Hondo to pay for it, I did a silly thing… I got my wife to sit in a chair facing the other way while I played both guitars at random for a few minutes, and asked her which sounded better.

She picked the Hondo :). So I sold the Lowden. :-O

I later sold the Hondo, I think it was after I got a Taylor but I can't remember for sure. I then missed having a cheaper guitar, and spotted a Hondo J200 copy going cheap so I bought that as well. It wasn't bad, but not a patch on the Everly.

For €50 I'd buy one unless it was in poor condition - chances are it will be at least OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Thanks guys, I will try it out if it is still in the shop when next there. I hope to find a Gibson L5 clone sometime. And a Hofner Shorty (which I will modify). Here's hoping....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Rocker said:
    And a Hofner Shorty (which I will modify). Here's hoping....
    If I remember rightly there's the remains of a Shorty in the loft at the shop - if I remember next time I'm over, I'll see what's wrong with it and/or how much they want for it as-is, if you want it for a project.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Buy it for 50 sovs. Have a good look at it and see if viable to get it set up.....if not then flog it on the bay for 80 sovs (buyer pays for postage/courier).
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Thanks @ICBM. If you find it, please send me a PM.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    I hope to find a Gibson L5 clone sometime.
    There are a couple on ebay at the moment (if you search for "Hondo Fat Boy" you'll find them).  One's up for £250, which is ridiculously good value IMO - I certainly wouldn't part with mine for that.