Microphone squeel - ideas

Hi - not looked myself yet as Im not at my mums, but shew runs a dance thing, and uses a PA/music system.  She has had no problems for ages, but now both her micrphones just cause squeel when switched on (have on/off switches).  They both have dedicated cables so not likely to be that - and there both Low Z.

They have a third mic which is duel impedance - again with its own cable.  When on Low Z she gets the same squeel.  When switched to High Z all is fine.

So - what has happened that now causes all low Z micrphones to just produce squeel but high Z micrphones work OK.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• High Z microphones will typically have a lower output level, so they are less likely to feed back at the same preamp gain setting on the PA as the equivalent Low Z mic. What's the PA system and can she not just reduce the gain a little on the PA? Someone may have inadvertently changed the gain or deactivated a pad etc. on the channel.

That's assuming that none of the other obvious factors have changed like speaker position.
  • Its an all in music system - basically a music player with built in speakers and a mic input.  That feeds an external power amp that then goes to proper PA speakers.

The level hasnt really been changed - and the mic input level (if there is one - need to look) would always be low - and the whole volume of the system isnt large by my standards.  Its old couples ballroom dancing - not a rock concert.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Definitely sounds like a gain issue -  I suspect somewhere there is a switch - impedance, pad or input type  that has been knocked so it's now getting a huge signal compared to how it was set before.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited February 2015
    hum - might be an input gain.  Spoke to my  mum and there is a little white knob (I think its the recessed type with screwdriver slot) next to the mic input.

The system has recently been PAT tested (or just PAT - I have that), and the issue has arisen since.  Could be the tester adjusted that knob for some unknown reason, so the input gain is now too hot for a Low Z mic.

• Certainly sounds like somethings been "tweeked" and more than likely during the PAT process, without knowing almost exactly what kit we're dealing with very difficult to give an answer or a way to problem sort

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Problem solved. Was indeed the input gain turned up full.

Also had something wrong with a speaker cable, intermittent loss. I'd already made up new cables. Mum was shocked, I'd used good quality summer 2.5mm core stuff. Weighs a tonne compared to the crappy string she was using (supplied with pa), but sound is so much better.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Stupid question but has the system been physically moved so that now the speakers arent in the mic's rejection zone?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Problem solved. Was indeed the input gain turned up full.
    Bad practice to "service" equipment and adjust a preset like that, unless there is a very good reason for doing so, or without informing the customer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein