Jazzmaster tone

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    I really like Phil X. He's a brilliant player, great singer and his demos always scream

"LOOK AT ALL THE FUN YOU COULD BE HAVING WITH THIS GUITAR!"

And isn't that the point?

Anyway, on JM/Jag bridges, I've had graphtech saddles on all of mine, which are excellent, but now the Staytrem exists I'd go for that, and will do when I eventually get my planned home-build off the ground. The Mastery looks excellent (if a little like a part of a bicycle) but I get the impression it has a very small contact point for the strings, which is excellent if you want good tuning stability and lots of harmonics from the "non-ringing" string length, but not everyone does.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The interesting thing is most of the famous Jazzmaster users, who have tried everything from nail varnish, taped up stock bridges, to Mustang bridges to Tune-o-Matics have gone over to the Mastery... The exception being Mascis but frankly his set up is bonkers and so I wouldn't take his recommendation too seriously, tbh.

I don't find the looks as offensive as some - and really with some play use, the alloy tones down and it doesn't look that different to the stock bridge IMHO. But hey, I'm a fan...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    Here's another guitar wizard giving the Jazzmaster a run out :

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    impmann said:
    The interesting thing is most of the famous Jazzmaster users, who have tried everything from nail varnish, taped up stock bridges, to Mustang bridges to Tune-o-Matics have gone over to the Mastery... The exception being Mascis but frankly his set up is bonkers and so I wouldn't take his recommendation too seriously, tbh.

I don't find the looks as offensive as some - and really with some play use, the alloy tones down and it doesn't look that different to the stock bridge IMHO. But hey, I'm a fan...
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    impmann said: The interesting thing is most of the famous Jazzmaster users, who have tried everything from nail varnish, taped up stock bridges, to Mustang bridges to Tune-o-Matics have gone over to the Mastery... The exception being Mascis but frankly his set up is bonkers and so I wouldn't take his recommendation too seriously, tbh.
    I don't find the looks as offensive as some - and really with some play use, the alloy tones down and it doesn't look that different to the stock bridge IMHO. But hey, I'm a fan... True, but the Mastery had a couple of years' head-start, so if those guys were happy with that they probably stopped looking. Tbh I can't imagine there's a
    huge difference between them but would be tempted to try both when I next have a JM. 

Doesn't Johnny Marr have the Staytrem on his sig Jag?
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited March 2015
    Johnny does indeed use aftermarket Staytrem bridges on his own guitars. They come from the factory with a mustang bridge though.
    there is also a big difference between the staytrem and the mastery. 

Both have pros and cons. 

If the staytrem had fatter posts and possibly brass saddles I think it would be a winner. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    impmann said:

True, but the Mastery had a couple of years' head-start, so if those guys were happy with that they probably stopped looking. Tbh I can't imagine there's a huge difference between them but would be tempted to try both when I next have a JM. 

Yes sort of - its a Fender version thereof.

He also plays a Jaguar.

I was talking about Jazzmasters - and players like Thurston Moore, Elvis Costello, Nels Cline, Troy Van Doodaah....

Jags are whole different guitar/set of circumstances.

the MarrGuar bridge only has the staytrem posts. It is a stock mustang bridge in all other aspects and has awful string spacing on the fretboard. 
    I believe Marr doesnt use that bridge and uses proper staytrem bridges. 

edited March 2015
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

True, but the Mastery had a couple of years' head-start, so if those guys were happy with that they probably stopped looking. Tbh I can't imagine there's a huge difference between them but would be tempted to try both when I next have a JM. 

Yes sort of - its a Fender version thereof.

He also plays a Jaguar.

I was talking about Jazzmasters - and players like Thurston Moore, Elvis Costello, Nels Cline, Troy Van Doodaah....

Jags are whole different guitar/set of circumstances.

----
    Yes, but it's just bridge geometry, so the relative merits remain the same. The main difference will be the pitch of the behind-bridge, harmonics, surely?

I know they're not the same, but they're really not a "whole different guitar"...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Erm. As I own both, whilst yes outwardly they look 'similar' - in that the sillouette is the same. In feel, sound and operation they are VERY different. But hey, believe what you want! :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

J Mascis does have Masterys on his vintage JMs. Seen a pic somewhere.

You can now get the staytrem with fat posts so the bridge doesn't rock.

Huzzah

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    gusman2x said:

J Mascis does have Masterys on his vintage JMs. Seen a pic somewhere.

You can now get the staytrem with fat posts so the bridge doesn't rock.

Huzzah

its nylon sleeves though... I am not sure how that will work out...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Erm. As I own both, whilst yes outwardly they look 'similar' - in that the sillouette is the same. In feel, sound and operation they are VERY different. But hey, believe what you want! :-)
    I've had 2 Jags, 1 JM and played countless others. I'm not arguing the feel or sound the same as they definitely don't, but as a mechanical system, from the engineering point of view, they are very similar machines (particularly compared with any other electric guitar - strat, tele, 335, LP, etc)

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162

I think we need more Mastery Vs Staytrem opinion pieces.

Also, isnt someone due to say "you dont need either, the stock works perfectly" again about now?

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You don't need either, the stock works perfectly (with StringSavers).

Happy to help.

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
    What you really need on an offset is 15 gauge strings, a buzz stop, a TOM covered in gaffer tape, a giant shim and a disabled rhythm circuit

EMG humbuckers are optional
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    DannyP said:
    Thing about all the cheaper fender/squier JMs is they're mostly basswood, I think.

I'd want a Jazzmaster to have that kind of tubular (?) clean thing that they do, but I've never played a basswood guitar that has a pleasant clean sound.

tonally basswood and alder are very similar. 

Dont write off basswood because it is on some cheap guitars, it is also used on very high end Suhrs, Tom Andersons etc 
    Ok, I'll keep an open mind! My experience of basswood was classmates superstrats at guitar school years ago. they always sounded sterile clean. Maybe that was to do with the powerful pickups?