Jazzmaster tone

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    and the floyd rose most likely
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    and the floyd rose most likely
    Aye, maybe so.
    Bucket said:

Phil X is a bit annoying but nowhere near as much. And he's a much more interesting player with far better tone, and also a fantastic singer. I listen to Phil's demos just to hear him sing :D 
    On a side note @Bucket have seen the one where he's playing/singing More Than A Feeling on a National Airline thingy? He's blasting the guitar through an AC30, and yet it's his voice that's clipping on the recording! The lad's got a pair of lungs on him, that's for sure!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    DannyP said:
    On a side note @Bucket have seen the one where he's playing/singing More Than A Feeling on a National Airline thingy? He's blasting the guitar through an AC30, and yet it's his voice that's clipping on the recording! The lad's got a pair of lungs on him, that's for sure!
    Not seen that one, but I know what you mean because he does it with "Show Me the Way" on this Les Paul at 2:00!

He doesn't seem to know the words to almost any of the songs he does though :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    in fairness he's hollering into the mic on his shirt five inches from his gob

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh yeah. My bad!
    Anyway, Jazzmasters!

I think I might buy one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ...and here's J Mascis and a Koala.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495

DannyP said:

That's not his Signature koala though
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    dogload;547970" said:
    DannyP said:

That's not his Signature koala though
    No - the action is too low.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Nice koala but needs a staytrem bridge. Gotta love J ~:>
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    God damn I want a Jazzmaster now!  Loved the solo on that Wilco song.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Another good source of Jazzmaster tones is the band The Church.   Their albums are full of tasty licks from Jazzmaster and Strat Guitars.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, I tried a J Mascis Jazz master today. If you ignore the shocking set up and strings covered in rust and grim, I still wasnt overly keen on the sound. Its not that it was bad but any stretch, it just wasnt very exciting and didnt seem to offer many tonal avenues that I cant already do. Disappointing.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The Mascis doesnt have proper Jazzmaster pickups.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Surely its roughly in the ball park though? Or is it like the John 5 tele which isnt a tele at all
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

Jetfire said:
    Surely its roughly in the ball park though? Or is it like the John 5 tele which isnt a tele at all
    I doubt it, the purple Japanese J Mascis I had was fitted with pickups like the one on the left of the picture, compared to the correct layout of the one on the right, so they were very bright (the 1 meg pots didn't help either)

I fitted some Lollars and some 250k pots and it sounded lush :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Actually, to add to that, I didnt like the scratch plate at all. And maybe the neck was a little thick for my liking....
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I liked the stock pickups on the Mascis well enough, but they're not jazzmaster. I swapped them out for seymour Duncan antiquity I's and it sounds wonderful.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    @Jetfire I also don't think the stock Squier Mascis pickups are bad. I have two Squier JMJMs, one of which I have refitted with underwound vintage style Bullock pickups and it absolutely sings.  I think the duff strings and setup may have been a factor in the rubbish experience you had. 

I know what you mean about the scratchplates though. I've replaced both of mine.