A great wiring loom idea from Axesrus

What's Hot
I have just noticed this on their Facebook and quite frankly it is genius and im not sure why I didnt think of something like this!! I love the switching options but by far the best benefit will be the speed and ease in which you can test various pickups in your guitar without the need for a soldering iron.

I think ill be getting one of these for every guitar when it comes out later this month. Does anything else like this exist?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• it's a gearbox for a guitar lol
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Didn't EMGs come with something similar a while back? Either way, good stuff :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    edited March 2015
    Cool
  • Is there any indication of pricing?
  • No theres no mention of pricing which is a shame. They should be available in a few weeks though. I might message them about price today

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
    It's a Freeway switch. It was used on the Gibson Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom, you can see him using it on the O2 gig.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10527
    tFB Trader
    Personally, after my last buying experience with Axesrus I wouldn't reccomend anybody to shop with them ... much as I have been a staunch supporter of theirs in the past, and a regular customer practically since they started.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    Personally, after my last buying experience with Axesrus I wouldn't reccomend anybody to shop with them ... much as I have been a staunch supporter of theirs in the past, and a regular customer practically since they started.
    ??

I've only ever had good experience with them ... did they have an off day?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Sorry, but I don't like any of these 'solderless' systems. Yes, they make it slightly easier to quickly swap pickups for testing. But once you've done that, most people leave the wiring in their guitars alone for years, and at that point soldering is simply more reliable - no contact points to come loose or corrode.

It's also neater and easier to fit into a control cavity without the inevitable bulky connection blocks and often excess wiring you need to leave. The EMG ones in particular are a right pain in the bum in any guitar with a restricted control cavity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Slightly more than an off day Tony!I have used them for odd pickup covers for ages ... and for parts for my own instruments ... and found them generally very good. However they supplied me with scratched black pickup covers which were required for an urgent order ... then firstly suggested that they must have been scratched in transit. That's fine, all I required were perfect ones so I politely asked for replacements. They then admitted that they were having 'trouble' with these covers and couldn't guarantee that they could send me perfect ones! I was a little taken aback, as if something is imperfect it should be sold as B stock ... not charged full price for and sent to an unsuspecting customer. The best they were able to offer was a refund. They told me they were going to withdraw the covers as they were 'such a pain' ... and I said that that didn't help me much, and that as far as I was concerned my opinion of their customer service had taken a hit. 
    I then found a couple of days later that my customer account had been terminated ... 
    I attempted to order another item and received a phone call (from another member of their staff who I hadn't spoken to the first time) suggesting that I had been abusive in my first phone call! That absolutely was not the case ... I asked to speak to the original member of staff ... but that request was ignored. So, as most people would do, I told him he was talking absolute bollocks! Yes that was mildly abusive ;-)  and he hung up on me ... 
    So I won't recommend them or any of their products again. Simples

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2886
    Damn, they gotta pretty good rep usually.

Wonder if they will see this and respond like Mark ex GAP fella and all round good guy would. ?
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited December 2015
    Suppliers are a funny breed.

tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    Damn, they gotta pretty good rep usually.

Wonder if they will see this and respond like Mark ex GAP fella and all round good guy would. ?
    Exactly what I would have said before this incident ... believe me it was a shock,  I have a link to them on my site and regarded them as a trusted supplier. I used to have long conversations with Jackie about the state of the industry, and defended them pretty vigorously (can't remember if it was here, or before Fretboard days on the old MR forum) when the their (since abandoned) 'restocking' fee was under debate. To me it's not if you make mistakes in retail that matters ... inevitably you will (I have made several howlers) but how you put it right when you have. Blaming the customer is pointless ... stock is cheap compared to good will.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's a real shame. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• They got back to me - a simple 3 way toggle version will be around £100 and the 6 way version around £140. I like the idea but the likelihood of me ever touching the wiring again after getting a good quality loom is unlikely so it doesnt seem worth it. I may consider one if I ever get round to building something...

• nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    That's way expensive for what it is .
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    And considering they sell the switch on its own for £25, they're taking the proverbial.
    Plus those connectors can be had for a couple of quid each on ebay (I forget their name though).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • It certainly seems like something you could do yourself for a lot less!

Has anyone had any experience with the wiring kits from axetec, the people who sell the iron gear stuff? I love my Tesla Sharks, but am thinking of getting their Jimmy Page wiring kit instead of an axesrus one. I quite fancy a few extra switching options, and they come with push push pots!

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    It certainly seems like something you could do yourself for a lot less!

Has anyone had any experience with the wiring kits from axetec, the people who sell the iron gear stuff? I love my Tesla Sharks, but am thinking of getting their Jimmy Page wiring kit instead of an axesrus one. I quite fancy a few extra switching options, and they come with push push pots!
    I bought the basic LP wiring loom from Axetec to put in my old Epi SG. Absolutely fine. Quick delivery. No problems and the pots have noticeably improved things.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I just use mini connectors. Dirt cheap and easy to switch stuff in and out.