So, who's suffered from the mysterious 'wandering tone phenomena' ?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
edited March 2015 in Guitar
Why is that? (let's assume no alcohol is involved here! lol) - one day you pick up your guitar, plug in...and it sounds glorious and you positively ROCK!  

A few days later, same guitar, amp, effects, settings, same room....and it sounds 'meh' ... or even worse, your tone has mysteriously become lifeless and completely sucks - and no amount of knob fiddling (NO! - not that knob, the ones on your guitar, amp, & effects! lol ) can get it back that day!  Next day...sounds great again and you think 'WTF has been going on!'

We must have all been there at sometime, so what do you guys reckon - changes in barometric pressure and air-density, ear/brain dysfunction, gremlins getting into your gear over night?  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    One thing that I'd consider is a serious thing- voltage inconsistancies.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    My hearing definitely changes according to mood and whether I'm hungry, thirsty, tired etc According to my wife I'm just bad news in general when hungry.
  • I worry that if 'Wandering tone phenomena' becomes an accepted phrase then it's going to lead to a spate of wild rumours about TTony!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Gassage said:
    I doubt the variation in UK mains voltage is anywhere near big enough to make that kind of difference. It can sometimes be quite big from one place to another (a long way away) but it doesn't vary much day to day here.

I would guess air humidity or the player's mental state are the two biggest factors.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    I doubt the variation in UK mains voltage is anywhere near big enough to make that kind of difference. It can sometimes be quite big from one place to another (a long way away) but it doesn't vary much day to day here.

I would guess air humidity or the player's mental state are the two biggest factors.
    My Olson read out will vary by 10v. Is that not a lot?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Meh. It's about 10 volts.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    a lot of it i think depends how fresh/tired you are. when i`ve had a hard day at work and sit down to have a pootle about i may as well play with a packet of richmond pork chipolatas as my hands.when the nearest and dearest ask "what the hell is that you`re playing" you answer "oh, nothing much just tuning up!" through gritted teeth.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'd blame barometric pressure. I always feel a lot better and more positive when the air pressure's high.
    Really.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Maybe it's just time to change strings?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

you'll find this goes back to the "it's in the fingers" factor.

depending on your gear, how you play it and how good you're playing will have a bigger impact than you think.

• kaisoskaisos Frets: 26
    It happens all the time...
    Two reasons in my case
    1) Strings need to be changed
    2) "Not exactly" the same settings.... 

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Iv come to the conclusion it's my ears.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited March 2015
    Mood - I'm convinced.

As I said in the 'selling it all' thread, I've taken to recording stuff on my phone - particularly when I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

Invariably when I listen to it back the next day, in sounds very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    richardhomer;550118" said:
    Mood - I'm convinced.

As I said in the 'selling it all' thread, I've taken to recording stuff on my phone - particularly when I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

Invariably when I listen to it back the next day, in soinds very good.
    This is an excellent idea which I never do but should.
    Sometimes it sounds like shit because you don't feel particularly inspired. Sometimes I have my amp dialled in for a HB guitar and plug a single coil and I'll twig after a while why it doesn't sound great. Sometimes I don't feel like doing anything startlingly adventurous - this morning I plugged in and played along to Le Freak and then side 2 of Led Zeppelin 2 and it sounded great, the kids were dancing along and it was great. Having a bit of fun and acting like a kid can be a pallette cleanser.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Gassage said:
    No, its less than 5%.

If you have a Variac, try varying it that much and see if it makes much difference.

(If you don't… it doesn't - certainly not enough to account for the difference between good tone and bad, you can sometimes hear a small difference.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yea I get that. Though it's not as common as my wondering guitar playing ability phenomenon.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Dunno about tone, that sounds more like my sexual performance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus;550204" said:
    Dunno about tone, that sounds more like my sexual performance.
    Wisdom.

Except mine varies from bad to bloody awful ;)

Tone wise, I'm convinced it's mood. I record sounds and compare to previous times I've been happy - they're usually similar enough.

Sometimes, it all seems right.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11952
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

It dropped to 130v one day in my last house, blew a motherboard in a big server PC
    all sorts of kits was making funny noises, I went round unplugging until it recovered

If you play in an outbuilding or at the end of a long extension cable generally, you can get a big voltage drop
    You need very thick cable to minimise this

you can easily lose an extra 10v 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    We run my mate's cabin on an extension lead. When the 10A heater's on, it drops to around 200v.