In praise of Fender Split Post Tuners...

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
Just sorted the issue with the concentric tone/vol pot on my Squier VM Jazzmaster, but also restrung it while I had it in pieces. I've never restrung a guitar with split post vintage tuners before, but it was refreshingly easy and if i say so myself, looks a tidy job!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I love split posts. 
    I dont understand why they aren't on every Fender guitar
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Totally. They're great. Neat, easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    edited March 2015
    Yep, they're great. Trim three posts past the one you're on, poke it in the hole (etc) wind downwards. Done.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yep love them too

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    One of the best pieces of guitar design ever...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Another fan here. I got some 3 aside split posts for my Gretsch Electromatic.

So they are not just reserved for Fenders.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    GavHaus said:
    Yep, they're great. Trim three posts past the one you're on, poke it in the hole (etc) wind downwards. Done.
    I do it more OCD than that :).

Low E - one post past. A - two posts past. D - three posts past. G - four posts past. B and E - two posts past, but put a half back turn through the slot before you wind on.

That keeps the break angles over the nut relatively consistent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Wow - would be bothered about a lack of wind on the low E!
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Maybe I'll have to retrofit my Gordon Smith and Pacifica with them, as well as my Pacifica if I suitable units are available... ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22803
    edited March 2015
    meltedbuzzbox;550413" said:
    I love split posts. I dont understand why they aren't on every Fender guitar
    Yes, they're great.  I was putting locking tuners on everything for a while but I think split posts are even less hassle.

It's interesting that G&L use split posts on their "modern" tuners and Ibanez were using them on guitars like the Artist models about 30 years ago.  I don't know why they're not more common.

GavHaus said:
    Wow - would be bothered about a lack of wind on the low E!
    It's not a problem - it doesn't slip because the thick winding jams in the slot.

If I'm fitting very light strings I do sometimes give it a bit more though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ICBM said:
    GavHaus said:
    I do it more OCD than that :).

Low E - one post past. A - two posts past. D - three posts past. G - four posts past. B and E - two posts past, but put a half back turn through the slot before you wind on.

That keeps the break angles over the nut relatively consistent.
    thats got me thinking but a daddario wont go that far on a Jazzmaster. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Yes I love them too.

I used to have a big problem with the strings slipping out when winding and still do occasionally.

Anyone with any pearls of wisdom on what you do to avoid this?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I hate the bastard things, I seem to struggle getting my 11-50s on my strat. Prefer locking types, but that comes from years touring and locking tuners are just very easy to use
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Struggle why? I've used 11-54 on my Tele without issues.
    Skarloey said:
    I used to have a big problem with the strings slipping out when winding and still do occasionally.

The thin ones?

Poke the string down the hole as you always do, but then take it half a turn round the post the *wrong* way, run it back across the slot then wind on as normal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The 11-50s I use, the low E struggles to fit into the hole. I had the same on a band I used to tech for, they had 2 70s ri strats that struggled with anything above a 48
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    Yep I love split Posts!  American Fenders with those shiny chrome things are just awful :)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Skarloey said:
    Yes I love them too.

Yep, use a toothpick. I always use one when I'm replacing the high E string to stop it slipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom