Fender telecaster saddle intonation screws

Hi Guys

I need 2 or 3 saddle intonation screws for an old 1966 tele with the original bridge assembly and I don't seem to be able to find them online anywhere.  Ridiculous really as we're just talking about 3 screws!!!!! 

I can buy new saddles with the 3 screws included but nobody is prepared to confirm that the screws that come with replacement saddles will fit my existing saddles and I don't really want to replace the saddles.

The problem is that the tip of the adjustment screw on the E/A and D/G saddles are now just slightly too long (following a refret) and protrude above the strings causing general agg to the ball of my hand!!!  I'd prefer not to cut the original screws down so just wanted to source a couple of screws which I can cut down slightly.

Anyone got any ideas where I can get hold of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

When I was in retail electronics servicing there was The Tin.

This was a collection of every screw, nut, bolt, washer that ever got picked up off the floor for 40 years. If you were ever short of a part you dug in and generally found what you needed.

I am willing to bet that Old Luthiers keep the equivalent of The Tin and if they would let you have a good root, you would find the screws.

Dave.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    You may need to remove the screws and measure the length and diameter and thread - measure the thread by measuring 10 against a steel rule. Unless these 3 measurements are known then your only option is probably face-to-face with The Tin :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Just bought a bag from Allparts as I need some shorter ones to avoid severe lacerations - sadly they are on back order .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Thank you gents! 

Well I have now found out the exact size I need and apparently it has to be an imperial screw as a metric thread won't fit!  It's a 6/32" screw and ideally 1".

Once I found out the size it was a lot easier and I think this listing on Ebay is exactly what I'm after:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Screw-Pozi-Pan-Head-UNC-6-32-1-Machine-Screw-BZP-Packs-of-1-to-100-/251336673221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a84d547c5

I've measured the screw and as luck would have it a 1" screw would be perfect and would ensure that the tip of the screw is below the height of the two strings on either side of it.  The 'standard' screw used in 3 saddle bridges is apparently 1.25".

If those screws from Allparts take forever @Jalapeno this may be a solution for you too?  The price of 6 x 6/32 x 1" is £1.85 from the above ebay seller. You can buy as many as you need so I'll just go for 4 as the E/B screw is fine.