Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want a challenge? Name this amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Link isn't working for me either. Shame as I was quite interested in having a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

I'll post the answer in a day or so.

Mark obviously has the same calendar as the MR forum developers...

:-\"
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Mic'd. Definitely isn't clipping. I ran it through some soft and then hard limiting compression to even it out which is why the waveform looks like that.
    + the links don't work + no answer.

Bring back the facepalm!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569

Sorry! We can't find that sound.

Did you try to access a private sound, but were not logged in?
    Maybe the sound has been removed.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Sorry guys, I removed it to avoid further negative comments on it. Hope you understand.

It was in fact a Fender Champ - I actually really dig how they sound, but there was such a violently split response between who liked the sound and... well... a lot of the responses above, I knew there'd be a split, but not to the extent.

I do pride myself on getting great tone from amps - as I believe is evidenced on my youtube channel and clips there so it does sadden to get such negative comments, but at the same time I'd rather get honest feedback and learn if there is a populace who really doesn't like that something I've put out.

Sorry for those who wanted to hear it. Guess you'll have to just imagine it based on the comments from earlier posters!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    The video above sounds great. It suprises me that your other clip would be terrible in comparison. Go on, post it again, even if it is just for a day or so ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    So @stickyfiddle wins with the first post in the thread... :)>-
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I hear "small tweed" as my first instinct, so I'd guess a Champ (or model/clone thereof), but that's pretty straw-clutchy. 

Could equally be something daft like a JCM800 through a 6" speaker!

markjwgraham;56615" said:

It was in fact a Fender Champ - I actually really dig how they sound, but there was such a violently split response between who liked the sound and... well... a lot of the responses above, I knew there'd be a split, but not to the extent.

Ahem. Fucking get in :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I still say it could have been anything. :P
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Yes, and I think I was fairly close - in fact closer than Sticky, IF it was a 1x12? :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited October 2013
    Sorry guys, I removed it to avoid further negative comments on it. Hope you understand.

I do pride myself on getting great tone from amps - as I believe is evidenced on my youtube channel and clips there - so it does sadden to get such negative comments, but at the same time I'd rather get honest feedback and learn if there is a populace who really doesn't like that something I've put out.

Sorry for those who wanted to hear it. Guess you'll have to just imagine it based on the comments from earlier posters!

not sure what to make of that,  sort of 'humble and conceited' all that the same time

confused.com

:)

shame I didnt get to hear the champ clip,   I really detest the U2/uber delay/Edge  sound,   so I cant really comment as to whether thats "great tone"  or not...................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Don't worry about what people have said here. In isolation a lot of classic guitar tones actually sound quite odd and/or nasty. I can think of tonnes of recordings where the guitar sound is perfect for the song but a miles away from a pristine Fender Twin or smooth distorting Marshall. Context is everything :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't think the comments were negative, they just said it sounded like a modelling amp.
    8-}
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    so it does sadden to get such negative comments, but at the same time I'd rather get honest feedback and learn if there is a populace who really doesn't like that something I've put out.

You obviously didn't want feedback (or a least only the positive kind), it's actually apparent from your response you were in fact peacocking.

What you asked people to comment on was what amp it was, not whether it was a good recording of a Fender Champ.

You run a website people advising how to a better tone so surely the first aspect of tone you would understand is that one man's champagne is another man's lemonade and vice versa.  Their are plenty of famous tones people dig that make me want to throw the speakers out the window.  Being so sensitive after asking such an open question seems like a waste of energy.

It is apparent from your youtube channel and web page that you consider yourself an authority on tone so it begs the question 'why ask in the first place?'.  Because I believe you thought people would be blown away by the earth shattering tone you got from a Fender Champ, thus enforcing your own believe in your knowledge on tone (which is a totally individual taste).  People didn't, but ultimately you set up the scenario that led to your disappointment.

I actually really dig how they sound,
    ^ Isn't that really all that matters. ^
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    Sorry guys, I removed it to avoid further negative comments on it. Hope you understand.

I do pride myself on getting great tone from amps - as I believe is evidenced on my youtube channel and clips there - so it does sadden to get such negative comments, but at the same time I'd rather get honest feedback and learn if there is a populace who really doesn't like that something I've put out.

not sure what to make of that,  sort of 'humble and conceited' all that the same time

confused.com

:)

shame I didnt get to hear the champ clip,   I really detest the U2/uber delay/Edge  sound,   so I cant really comment as to whether thats "great tone"  or not...................
    I'm sorry you think my response is conceited.

Never mind that, was it a 1 x 12?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • so it does sadden to get such negative comments, but at the same time I'd rather get honest feedback and learn if there is a populace who really doesn't like that something I've put out.

You obviously didn't want feedback (or a least only the positive kind), it's actually apparent from your response you were in fact peacocking.

What you asked people to comment on was what amp it was, not whether it was a good recording of a Fender Champ.

You run a website people advising how to a better tone so surely the first aspect of tone you would understand is that one man's champagne is another man's lemonade and vice versa.  Their are plenty of famous tones people dig that make me want to throw the speakers out the window.  Being so sensitive after asking such an open question seems like a waste of energy.

It is apparent from your youtube channel and web page that you consider yourself an authority on tone so it begs the question 'why ask in the first place?'.  Because I believe you thought people would be blown away by the earth shattering tone you got from a Fender Champ, thus enforcing your own believe in your knowledge on tone (which is a totally individual taste).  People didn't, but ultimately you set up the scenario that led to your disappointment.

I actually really dig how they sound,
    ^ Isn't that really all that matters. ^
    Firstly, I am sorry you think that was a conceited response. That said, I think your response is a pretty rude response. 

You're right, I asked an open question, and the responses told me the majority of people didn't like it. However the rest of your post is not only speculative, but actually gets pretty personal. I've got no problem with feedback, positive or negative - if I did have a problem with the feedback I was receiving, why would I bother to return to this thread and continue posting here?

I wasn't expecting the world to be blown away by earth-shattering tone, I just took the time to post a basic clip of something I liked - something that took about 10 minutes to throw together - and liked enough as a sample to share and see if people could guess what the amp was. I would hardly call that peacocking. 

After posting, I got enough negative feedback on the quality of the clip that I chose to remove the clip. The threshold of 'this isn't good enough' was reached, so I took it down - I don't think that's an unreasonable action to take. I'm taking the negative feedback and acting on it - I think that's fairly indicative I'm willing to take the negative feedback.

I also don't think I'm a defining authority on this stuff. Like most of what you've posted, I think this is an unfounded comment that's pretty personal. I just know a lot of musicians that don't know about components that go into improving tone and signal chains, and that relatively few people take the time to understand the ins and outs of a lot of this stuff. I'm just trying to share what I've picked up. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want to come across as confrontational, or conceited, or whatever it is you think I am being, I'm just trying to put stuff out there folks like and get something from. If they don't, I learn from that and do something else. I just ask that you perhaps not be so hasty in your judgments and give me a chance before calling the shots on what I am or am not.
  • I hear "small tweed" as my first instinct, so I'd guess a Champ (or model/clone thereof), but that's pretty straw-clutchy. 

Could equally be something daft like a JCM800 through a 6" speaker!

markjwgraham;56615" said:

Ahem. Fucking get in :)
    Damn straight! Hit the nail on the head
  • viz said:

Never mind that, was it a 1 x 12?

Sorry no, it was the stock 6" one - Fender Champ 600.

Out of interest, what made you think it was a 1x12?
    I used to have one and it reminded me of that. Also it sounded pretty tinny and nasty - only joking!!! I liked it. But I wanted to be more accurate than Sticky. Never mind!