What bass for me...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited March 2015 in Bass
Ok I need a new bass, I do like my Vintage 4-string and might keep it around but I need a "proper" bass. I've been after a 5-string for ages, I'm certain that's what I want. But I have a specific set of requirements for such a thing.

- I'd rather not have something that looks too modern - stuff like Ibanez Soundgears are perfect for me tonally and feel-wise, but even the ones with fancy tops and so on just look bland and amorphous to me. I want something with a bit more character and a bit of a "classic" or vintage look, ideally a Jazz shape with a scratchplate (I'm a sucker for a Thunderbird too, but I'm aware that's probably a bad idea)

- I want active electronics, preferably with a full 3-band EQ. Want all the tone shaping options I can get.

- This would seem to lead me squarely to Fender, but there's a problem - every single 5-string Fender makes is too wide at the nut. The Soundgears I find comfortable all have 45mm nut widths, Fenders are 47.6mm which is noticeably wider and quite uncomfortable. I have big hands but I can still see it becoming a problem. It just doesn't feel very good.

- I don't want to break the bank either, just to make this even harder. Ideally I won't spend more than about £6-700.

What's out there? If anything? Should I just bite the bullet and get an Ibanez SR605 and live with the looks because everything else would be perfect? Or should I get a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V and live with the neck being uncomfortably wide?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments