Check my dots out?

What's Hot
I've finally gotten around to using Guitar Pro after buying it about 6 months ago, and started scoring out something I was familiar with from a playing point of view in an attempt to get my head back in to writing rhythm. 

What i'm curious about, is what you guys think? I'm certain it's not perfect, but just wanted some opinions if anyone fancies taking a look. I'm massively behind on this branch of theory, so it's actually been quite a good exercise for me to try and remember my old piano teachings!

So....just how wrong is it?!
Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you intend to double dot the first crotchet in bar 6?

• I did in as much as it made the numbers up, so to speak. I know its bad practice to double dot like that but its a placeholder to make the bar work, until I work out what should go there instead.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• Also the tempo is wrong X_X didn't adjust it!

• I see.
    The way you've written that makes it hard to read/notice the syncopation.
    What tempo do you you want it?
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    edited April 2015
    The rhythm on the last couple of bars might sound better if the same as in previous bars, ie just either landing on the first beat or a forced quaver, not semiquavers. I don't think you mean a double dot and semiquaver, do you?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The double dot at the start of bar 6 is needed because of the dotted quaver at the end of that bar. If that's intentional, then it's the kind of change I wouldn't write in the music, but leave to the player's feel. But maybe I'm just being lazy. :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    Yeah I know, if that's what he wants then fine, I just personally think a dotted crotchet is enough to give the swing feel.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Is the overall rhythm of the last 3 bars what you want?
    If so, then there are better ways to group the rhythms. 
    At the moment it is horrible to read. :-)

The double dot is not 'needed because of the dotted quaver at the end of that bar'.
    What goes on at the end of a bar does not dictate what happens at the start of the bar. At least, I've not known it to.

:-)

• martmart Frets: 5205
    The double dot is not 'needed because of the dotted quaver at the end of that bar'.
    What goes on at the end of a bar does not dictate what happens at the start of the bar. At least, I've not known it to.
    Hmm, no, you're right, what I said doesn't make any sense. If I can remember what I was thinking when I wrote it, I'll get back to you. :)
  • I was being lazy in places with Guitar Pros bar resolving feature, which is why I think the double dot slipped in. Thanks for the input thus far! I'll be making some amends soon!

• There's nothing actually wrong with the double dot, it's the way the rest of the bar is grouped that makes things awkward.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom