Some opinions on Graphtech saddles

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 737
I've been getting forumites opinions on steel trem blocks for a strat and have decided on a Callaham-style block.

My next question is - to Graphtech or not to Graphtech?

It has been suggested that they affect tone comapred to steel saddles. Will it 'cancel out' any improvements from the steel block?The existing saddles are perfectly serviceable vintage-style bent steel.

Am I now getting in to 'snake oil' territory?!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    They add a little zing and potentially stop string breaks a little. I have them on my Tele and CS336 but never got on the strat ones I tried. There's nothing wrong with bent steel saddles tbh. 

As for Callaham, I have the full assembly from them, saddles & all. It's very good...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited April 2015

I stuck some on a Strat I once owned, and it sounded just as good after as before.

I went through a period of busting strings quickly, when I first started playing live. I don't know whether this was due to nervousness and hitting the strings too hard, sweating more or just not having as good a technique as I have now.

I don't often break strings now. Until this last month I was only taking one guitar out with me, and I don't hold back with big bends or vibrato.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Personally I don't get the all or nothing approach to the saddles on strats - there are six of them with different string thicknesses on them.

I put a sintered steel saddle on the high E and titanium/unobtanium bent saddles on the others.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I found Graphtech saddles take some of the highs out of the guitar.

Not a bad thing on some Strats.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited April 2015
    I think they're more to prevent string breakage than to improve tone. If you're not breaking strings then stick with what you've got.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I fitted a set to my '89 LP and it solved the string breakage issue. It didn't affect the tone that I could hear.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30913
    OK- on Andersons and others, fabulous.

On a vintage RI strat, for me, NO. I believe that the whole vintage tone comes from the bent steel and spring and block. Remove the saddles and you change the chime.

The Callaham block is brilliant, mind you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Put them on 3 guitars and very pleased with them! Got some on my old LP and never break a string no matter how shagged out the strings are.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    edited April 2015
    I don't like them. I think they sound thin and lack the 'ring' of steel, but it's certainly true that they stop strings breaking as easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I've put some on my Strat style partscaster. I didn't notice a difference in tone, but I think they feel nicer when palm muting and resting my hand on the bridge.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I think they do sound warmer and more rounded.

its why i like them so much on peizo saddles, they really make the acoustic sounds a lot more usable
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

To follow on from what I said earlier.

I don't have any on my current guitars, and don't intend to. I just don't need 'em.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited April 2015
    WezV;587360" said:
    I think they do sound warmer and more rounded.

its why i like them so much on peizo saddles, they really make the acoustic sounds a lot more usable
    I have a set of (IIRC) Mike Christian piezo saddles - which were made by Graph Tech - on my 'slide' Strat.

The guitar is a '94 American Standard - so it was fitted with 'block' saddles from the factory.

The piezo saddles definitely dulled the 'zing' from it - which as its used for slide - which can sound a bit strident - or as a midi controller, is fine.

If the OP is after 'vintage' Strat tone, Graph Techs are not the way to go.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671

If the OP is after 'vintage' Strat tone, Graph Techs are not the way to go.
    I would agree with that
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 737
    I'm not a big string breaker so I'm saying 'NO' to Graphtech!

Thanks all

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited May 2018
    I like them on my Gibson Sg. Seems to add a bit of bite and I like the feel. That said, once fitted I could only intonate the top e so had to flip them and fit them all facing backwards. I also had to lower my bridge quite considerably as they were not only thicker but taller than originals. My sg is post 2000 Nashville so they should have slotted straight in. I can’t remember having the same problem on a previously owned sg
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've had them in the past, but I wasn't keen on the look of them so they went in the end. I suppose I wouldn't mind with a modern looking guitar but all mine are pretty trad looking.