Fender/Squire Dimension Bass

What's Hot
Fender have recently released a new addition to there classic line of bass guitars, the Dimension. We have a fender and a squire in the shop and think there an amazing addition to there already iconic range, but what do you guys think? What to you like dislike about this new boy on the block :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited April 2015
    I think they've added another dimension to the range of Fender basses.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I think if Fender want to "Innovate" with a "brand new bass" (as it says at Fender.com) they should probably just buy a Stingray instead. 

Would save them loads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I think if Fender want to "Innovate" with a "brand new bass" (as it says at Fender.com) they should probably just buy a Stingray instead. 

Would save them loads.
    That's sort of what I was thinking. Maybe it's great, I haven't tried it, but it does look like an awfully transparent attempt (to a person pretty new to bass, admittedly) to get a slice of the Stingray market.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    To be fair to Fender there is one good thing about it - They've managed to get quite a nice Stingray sound out of passive pickups (on the Standard model - some of the others are active)

So that is pretty cool - but I think it is doomed to be lumped in with the "ah bless - he couldn't afford a 'Ray" crowd - even if some models are actually more expensive.
  • The Fender Dimension I played was pretty poor.  I told the staff that the fret ends were sticking out to the point you could feel them when sliding up and down the neck, which on a bass that expensive really should not be the case.  Dunno if they did anything, but to me that was not a £1,4XX instrument.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^ Yeah I've heard that before about the fret ends. Maybe posted by you, or maybe elsewhere, I forget. :))
    (a) To be fair to Fender there is one good thing about it - They've managed to get quite a nice Stingray sound out of passive pickups (on the Standard model - some of the others are active)

(b) So that is pretty cool - but I think it is doomed to be lumped in with the "ah bless - he couldn't afford a 'Ray" crowd - even if some models are actually more expensive.
    (a) Yeah that would be cool, as you said.

(b) Yeah, I suspect they may well be doomed to be seen like that. And as you said, the Fender USA ones are actually dearer than some USA Stingrays.
  • guitarfishbay

Hi guitar fish! Where did you try the bass? I hope it wasnt the one we have in stock as we set them all up before they go out
  • It was at PMT Leeds.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's really bloody ugly!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    It's difficult for Fender as on one hand they want to innovate or expand their market which has to be commended, and on the other hand people sort of expect them to produce variations on a P or J bass.. I've read some fairly positive reviews on the Dimension bass, although not played one myself. The 5 string would interest me most. It is fairly similar to a 'Ray but I guess that's inevitable given that both are bolt neck basses with Leo Fender setting out the original direction of the company. I've seen some great used deals on the Dimension, once it gets below £800 the American deluxe one looks very attractive
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Kind of looks like a Gibson Victory that's decided it's time to calm down. Maybe buy a people carrier.

• In all honesty I actually quite like it. If I saw the modern player one in olympic white going for a decent price I would get it.