Who is your fave unsung hero guitarist?

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Forgot one - Debbie Smith of Curve and Echobelly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Jan Akkerman is brilliant, but hardly unsung
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    DrBob said:
    +1 for Audley Freed, particularly for his playing on the 'Brother' album by Cry Of Love.

And, having just heard 'Axe Victim' for the first time yesterday (I know, I know) Bill Nelson, bloody hell !
    Try Futurama next, it's just as good :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Nik Kershaw and Midge Ure - both guilty of some very cool '80's pop riffage.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Crispian Mills from Kula Shaker, maybe not the most technical player, but there's definitely something about his style / playing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I disagree ... I spoke to the editor of Guitarist magazine in 2000 about an interview as Jan was touring and had an album out and his reply was "not interested ... what's he ever done" ... he's not very well known as he was only really in the limelight for three years ... the people turning up to his gigs were old Focus fans and they slowly died away so he no longer tours in the UK.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    edited April 2015
    John Deacon (Queen) - Seen here rocking a Telecaster:

Adam Clayton (U2) - Seen here rocking a Strat:

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Unsung Guitarists for me are Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) and Gerry Rafferty :)
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    JookyChap;594231" said:
    Forgot one - Debbie Smith of Curve and Echobelly
    King of the kerb was a bloody excellent tune

And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    Fretwired said:
    I disagree ... I spoke to the editor of Guitarist magazine in 2000 about an interview as Jan was touring and had an album out and his reply was "not interested ... what's he ever done" ... he's not very well known as he was only really in the limelight for three years ... the people turning up to his gigs were old Focus fans and they slowly died away so he no longer tours in the UK.
    It saddens me to learn that. I've been to several of Thijs van Leer's shows (late 2000s) and would still go to more, plus would go to see Akkerman as well. I'd have thought any serious guitarist would at least know of Akkerman, even if not fully conversant with his music.

The editor sounds like a twat for not knowing what Akkerman has achieved.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited April 2015
    Howard Leese from Heart, (also Bad Company and the Paul Rogers Band). Has that knack of playing the right things at the right time and let Ann and Nancy take the front of stage. 

Sadly, his reward for such stellar service (he also did backing vox, keys and was arranged their' songs) was, of course, the sack. Word is that he doesn't have to worry about those kind of things these days, he is minted !. Big mate of Paul Reed Smith too. 

BTW, Nancy deserves a mention as she is no mean player herself. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Gary Marx. As if anyone will have heard of him.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Jeremiah;596398" said:
    Gary Marx. As if anyone will have heard of him.
    Is he Karl or Richard's brother?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Robert Smith out the Cure. He's such an arresting figure and seen as more as a front man, but he's a very, very capable guitar player.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Andy Bell - mainly for his playing in Hurricane #1 which I love, but also Ride. Hurricane #1 were written off as Oasis wannabes (perhaps with some justification) but I think the guitar on "Remote Control" and "Rising Sign" is brilliant.

Tony Peluso - not sure if he counts as a guitar hero since I only really know one solo of his, but it's one of my favourites - the one(s) on "Goodbye To Love" by Carpenters.

• It has to be Randy Rhoads for me. I love it tasteful phrasing. If I could play like him, the world would be a happier place.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Not sure Randy Rhoads qualifies as unsung.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Good calls on Timony (love the detuned non-solo on Helium 'XXX'), Reis, Bickers.

I'd add Bernard Sumner of Joy Division/New Order, Marco Pirroni of Adam & the Ants, Craig Scanlon of the Fall. 
    Who all have being overshadowed somewhat by more forceful / flamboyant / mad bandmates in common now I think about it...

Also I don't care for his band much, but when Paul McCartney took a solo he did a pretty good job of it.

• Steve Rothery- Marillion

Fantastic player and writer that is often overlooked
  • albanov said:
    Marco Pirroni of Adam & the Ants

Oooh, good call, sir!