Holy cow! Not sure if this is under effects or amps...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• My pedal-only rig idea was something like this - get two of the AMT pedals and an A/B loop pedal (which literally switches between loops A and B, with no bypass and no A+B). Use one for your clean and rhythm sounds, and leave the other on its distorted channel for lead. Instant 3-channel preamp, with the bonus that you can even have specific effects for your lead channel (eg always-on delay) for reduced stompage by including them in its loop.

Shove that into the effects return of whatever amp's available (if rig sharing) or something like a Magnum .44, and you've probably got the most portable 3-channel rig possible.
    That's actually brilliant.  You could use a 'series 2' one for clean and rhythm, then one of the 1 series for lead, complete with always on effects.  

That's a genuinely attractive proposition. I'd need to see how easy it is to rewire the switch on the pedals, though - they;d go eventually, but on the other hand, if you're modelling a 6505, fender twin and a cornford, it'd be fairly realistic to have a spare of each of the two pedals.  

I have to admit, though, I'm not a massive fan of the Magnum .44.  Tried one in a shop with a POD, and it sounded pretty great but broke on the shop floor! They even warned me that they had had a few returns for dead ones.  

Perhaps another amp guy can recommend a suitable portable amp.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited October 2013
    Just to add... This is running the pedal as a preamp into the effects loop of an Engl.  I really need to try one of these into a solid state PA of some kind... 

Obviously, he has a very 'djent' sound, that sort of 'clean but distorted' sound (that I love) but it gives an idea of the differences.  They all sound pretty great though (obviously through the arse end of an Engl effects loop, anyway).

Edit: The AMT Stonehead might actually just be a couple of these running into a power amp... Not sure about all the loops and shiz though.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    If the 44 Magnum is no good maybe you could use a valvestate 8004, or a ZT lunchbox with an external cab. 

Failing that you can get a B stock Stonehead for £400 from Thomann.

The ID head is a similar price which might do the job if they are as good as people claim.
  • Yup, I was going to suggest a ZT - in fact, the Club (with its 12" speaker) would probably be fine without an external cab.

I used a Lunchbox with my Eleven Rack, and it was the best the 11R ever sounded.
    <space for hire>
  • Wow, high praise. I need to try the zt with a preamp, I only used it dry and decided it was, er, dry sounding. :)

• If the 44 Magnum is no good maybe you could use a valvestate 8004, or a ZT lunchbox with an external cab. 

Failing that you can get a B stock Stonehead for £400 from Thomann.

The ID head is a similar price which might do the job if they are as good as people claim.
    Then again...if you've got a 4-channel Stonehead, you probably don't need the preamp pedals. 4CM would net you another two channels, though - does anybody really need a 6-channel rig? :D
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited October 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    To me, these things would be really at home for live performance. Valve amps are heavy as f00k as we all know, and tempermental to knocks and scrapes. If I had a nice valve amp I wouldn't bother recording for one.

Part of the reason we're finding it difficult to go and tour in Europe is because of transport costs for our gear. A few preamp pedals and a poweramp, and organising cabs the other end... would make it MUCH easier!

I know what you mean.  This is getting OT maybe but  I'm actually considering something similar for a band setup but haven't decided what way to go.  Currently using an Ironheart IRT120h, a real pedal board, and a 4x12.  It sounds fantastic and is easy to use.

Recent writing has led to tap dancing which is leaning me towards another FX unit (had and sold a GT8, it sounded fine but wasn't intuitive to use in a rush) but there still would be two footed changes because the Ironheart doesn't have midi.  Also I still wouldn't easily have an option to go direct to desk if I wanted to without buying a speaker sim/loadbox like a Palmer.

Basically I'm weighing up Ironheart + FX unit + Switcher + Palmer (as a potential future purchase if touring the UK) and probably coming to the conclusion that I'm better off 'investing' in a digital rig instead.  For overseas gigs I can totally see a smaller rig being a far better choice.
  • Even for pub gigging - I only have a small car, but could easily fit a rack pa (like a valvestate one - any good?), a few pedals and a couple of these preamps with a looper with a 1x12 or even a 2x12 in stereo (which would give epic chorus toanz). Even just one of the 2 channel preamps and a drive/boost, stereo chorus and delay gives a good variety of sounds and a chorus rig with the only bulk being the cab itself.

A 1x12 cab would just be the super portable version.
  • Burgs' video of using a pedalboard with an AMT F1 at the end going direct to PA on a live gig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgFqWaEoU-0
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Niiiice.  Works pretty well!

I've just looked for power amps for guitar, and it's nuts.  Most of them are more expensive than straight forward valve guitar amps! 

I literally know nothing about them, just the Marshall VS and the massive heavy valve ones, and the Mesa ones.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited October 2013
    I can't listen to these clips at the moment unfortunately, but I would have to say there's a reason that Rectifier simulations don't sound convincing... contrary to popular belief that it gets all it's tone from the preamp (and it is true that usually all the clipping distortion is happening there), it's the power amp that gives it the tone. It's actually quite unusual - very saggy and loose for a high-gain amp, even when it's in solid-state diode mode. It's this that gives it the huge boomy scooped sound which everyone (correctly, although it can do a lot of other sounds too) associates with them.

You will not get that sound with a preamp into a different type of power amp no matter how close the preamp is - guitarfishbay's 'frankenamp' experiment proves why, and that's with an actual Rectifier preamp and a valve power amp.

I'm saying this because I love that Rectifier looseness and I'm most familiar with it, but I don't doubt the same applies to other people's favourite valve amps as well - reproducing the preamp sound is fairly easy, it's the power amp which isn't. In amps with a lot of sag it actually affects the sound of the preamp, too - since both are fed from the same power supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    I've used both the S1 and the R1 into the loop of a friends Randall. Both sounded a lot better than the amps own pre amp (which admittedly isn't fantastic)

We a/b'd them with a selection of other amps and we were both very impressed. Think they'd be a great thing to have as a backup if you're ever in a situation where you can't use your own amp.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    As you may know I've been having a similar thread. I think the Tech21 Blonde sounds pretty good as a backup for my tweed amp :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/