Review of the Way Huge Saucy Box

What's Hot
handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
edited April 2015 in FX
Way Huge Saucy Box

I'd heard great things about this so I got hold of one to give it a try. I have built lots of klones in the past and I had heard that this is a klone. It isn't. 

A few points that I noticed:
-It shares the dual gang gain control that gradually blends the clean and dirt together in varying ratios but apart from that it's not so similar. 

-It's a VERY natural sounding overdrive. It is very transparent, and dare I say it, amp-like and hardly colours your amp sound at all. More than any other pedal i've tried it really is like just adding more more more to your amp. It'll go all the way from clean to fairly crunchy (AC/DCish). 

-To my ear it sounded a little smoother with single coils that humbuckers which isn't always the case in my experience. 

-It's definitely the most touch sensitive pedal i've ever played too (and i've built about 60 of the most boutique circuits out there). Even at max gain you can go from clean to full on crunch just by playing gently then digging in.

-It has a beautiful 'chime' when set to just breaking up than many other pedals i've played just don't get.

-One of the best things about it is the ranges that the knobs have. They are perfectly chosen. Some pedals have way too much volume on tap. On this pedal the values are all sensible so that minor adjustments are very easy without going overboard. (I have a suhr koko boost which is the best sounding boost pedal i've ever played but it has so much level on tap that it's really hard to set perfectly and adjust because the tiniest adjustment does so much.) Because of this its easy to give a flick with your feet to add just a touch of volume etc. 

-One of the most unique things about this pedal (having built over 60 various overdrive circuits) is how independently the volume and gain controls work. Usually with an overdrive, if you increase the drive you need to lower the volume a little and visa versa. Not so with this. 
from the bottom of the gain control (no dirt) to the max gain there is actually very little in difference volume wise. There is a little volume boost but nothing like most pedals. This is actually a brilliant situation because it enables you to adjust the gain control with your foot should you wish and it won't need any other knobs tweaking. It also enables you to find the sweet spot perfectly for whichever amp you are using because you can dial up the volume to push the front end as much as you want and then subtly dial up as much hair as you want dirt wise. Overall a brilliant new overdrive that really does seem a little different than everything else out there. Did we really expect a Klone from Jeorgy boy? Of course not, and he has again come up with something a little special and set apart from the field.

Though I didn't actually need this pedal for my rig i'm glad i tried it and i've certainly got a hankering to try more Way Huge stuff now. (this was my first). If anyone has a Green Rhino available let me know. :-)
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Good review, sounds like a great drive.

Fair play, for the most part you reviewed it in its own right, not against the mythical crap about Klones that people come out with.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    nice review!

I bought one when they first came out, still not found a place for it on my board for live use (i'd have to remove something else) but i use it all the time at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    handsomerik;38999" said:

-One of the most unique things about this pedal (having built over 60 various overdrive circuits) is how independently the volume and gain controls work. Usually with an overdrive, if you increase the drive you need to lower the volume a little and visa versa. Not so with this.
    That sounds really useful, I hate having to do the balancing act thing on the fly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Never had a bad Way Huge pedal.
    I've always got the Fat Sandwich and Pork Loin on my board.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17641
    tFB Trader
    Good review. 

All the Way Huge pedals are great. 

I thought the Green Rhino was quite similar to the Badass OD which I like a lot (and also has the hand of Tripps I believe).

Just obtained a Super Badass this week and that is also a very impressive pedal.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Great review. It has done nothing to cure my Way Huge GAS though.
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    Oh crap! Now I want to get go buy a Saucy Box... Nice review.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    Nice one Rik. :D
    Link to my trading feedback
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    edited April 2015
    @mr_air Mine is for sale if you check the classifieds. I only got it to compare with other drives with interest as a pedal builder. The way huge stuff is really great. Best design layout of any pedal and the battery compartment placement is genius. Once this goes I'll be looking to try a green rhino or other way huge drive. :-)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    This pedal rocks. I had a Soul Food when they came out and found it quite uninspiring, the Saucy Box sounds very different to my ears, with much more natural mids and grit. Thanks again for the sale @handsomerik, I think you may regret it!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    oooer - free badges!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Wish they would do a Camel Toe reissue. Even a 'Campbell Toe' Mike Campbell signature.