Stones in the park

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited October 2013 in Music
Taped 'Stones in the park' off the Beeb the other night and just got around to watching it... Yes, one or two iffy notes, and Keef is definitely being more economical with his playing than when he was younger. But... considering that they now have a collective age which probably includes 'to the power of' they definitely pulled off a stonking gig. Ok, I wasn't there (tickets sold out in minutes apparently) but from my armchair it definitely looked like there was a real sense of occasion, and the Blu-ray will certainly be on my Christmas list.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I recorded it, but not watched yet.

I've seen them several times, last in 2006 - can't justify the ticket prices these days.

Word on the street is that all but one of the band wanted the Hyde Park dates to be free :-S
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited October 2013
    Does 'the word on the street' say who the one is? I'll get the boys to pay a little visit. I'm guessing Mick or Keef as anyone else would likely be outvoted by the majority.
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I watched it and thought it was great better than the Glastonbury gig. There's some serious talent in their back up musicians, especially the keys and brass.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    HAL9000 said:
    Does 'the word on the street' say who the one is? I'll get the boys to pay a little visit. I'm guessing Mick or Keef as anyone else would likely be outvoted by the majority.
    I really couldn't say. (Rhymes with Rick Hagger).
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Lixarto said:
    I recorded it, but not watched yet.

I've seen them several times, last in 2006 - can't justify the ticket prices these days.

Word on the street is that all but one of the band wanted the Hyde Park dates to be free :-S

When I first read this I must admit a thought 'you tight bar-steward', but then thinking about it logically I don't work for free and why shouldn't an artist (or anyone else for that matter) reap the rewards of their labour. Ok, I know you can point out that these guys are all very well off already, but I'm not really sure if that's got anything to do with it apart from perhaps giving something back.

Anyway, can you imagine trying to control the crowds if any extremely popular act was to play free in a park?
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    edited October 2013
    Or, for example, if the Stones played a free gig on Copacabana Beach in Rio in 2006 to an estimated 1.5 million people...?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Having seen this thread earlier and having been a huge Stones fan back in the Mick Taylor era I went and watched it.

I know Jagger wrote most of them and has the right to change anything he likes but he really does need to go an listen to the originals. His diction is appalling. Honky Tonk Women was embarrassing. I'll forgive him not quite having the range he used to but there is no excuse for the utter mess he makes of the vocals, its as though he's been to see a very bad covers band doing an ironic tribute and copied it.

Shame they cut most of the stuff MT played on.

If you want to know what they were like back in their heyday, just listen to Ya Ya's. The greatest est rock n roll band in the world. Puts Hyde Park 2013 to shame I wish I hadn't watched it.