iphone 5s/5c - Rant

What's Hot
Grrrrr. Coming to the end of my contract and thinking of upgrading for 4S.

Now I'm happy with my 4S, but I would like a bigger screen (but not as big as the Galaxy 4) and 4G 
So I have two options.
The 5C which has such horrid colours
and the 5S which I like the look of, but is so bloody expensive and I don't need all of the new fangled features.
So what I really want is a 5, but the phone operators aren't offering them any more.
Now I have quite a bit of money tied up in Apps, so don't want to change OS and buy the apps all over again.
What apple should have launched is a phone with a bigger screen, without the bells and whistles of the 5S maybe a 5B(ig)
Iphone 5(c) power with a bigger screen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Buy a used/refurbished 5, get a good SIM only contract.
    My V key is broken
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    Get a white 5c and a case?

How much is it going to cost you to upgrade to a 5c/5s respectively?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    what about the 4 mini...........getting some good reviews (tho I have to say I dont know how the screen size compares to the gay-phones)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • My current plan (orange friends and family) with 1GB of data and a shed loads of mins with the 4S is about £30 a month).
    As I will have to move to either EE or a different provider I loose the friends and family discount.
    So 5c would end up at around £37 a month and the 5s £47 a month.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited October 2013
    I moved away from Orange in June/July -  I was only paying £15 a month (60 mins) and was offered a 5 at end of contract............I moved to Virgin, 500 mins (plus 1000 free) 1gb data.......S3 mini for £19 a month,  I think its a S4 mini now for the same
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • A SIM only contract for 1GB of data usage for 12 months, is about £21.
    Now to buy a referb 5 would cost more than I can sell my 4S for.

My current plan (orange friends and family) with 1GB of data and a shed loads of mins with the 4S is about £30 a month).
    As I will have to move to either EE or a different provider I loose the friends and family discount.

You won't lose your F&F, I got F&F with EE when I moved from t-mobile. Although the discount drops to 40% as opposed to the original 50%.

As always there are tariff limitations, the cheapest tariff you can have is the £41pm tariff (£179.99 handset cost for 32GB 5s) - although this upgrade tariff will be 1GB data, ask for 2GB data (if you need it) and they'll charge you £199.99 handset cost instead. They'll be unlimited voice and unlimited text.

F&F discount kicks in from the 2nd month (£24.60pm) on so looking at my spreadsheet, the TCO will be £786.79 (1 GB data) and £806.79 (2GB data) over the 24 months. This works out cheaper than getting a SIM free handset from Apple and going for the Three one plan £15pm SIMO deal

So I think you're getting angry over nothing ;)

mind you these figures will probably change at the end of the month as EE are introducing new tariffs - 2 tier basically, so you could end up with a better content mix for less but then again they might keep upgrade tariffs (with or without F&F) at a different level.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I think Apple got exactly what they wanted here, the cheap(er) iPhone they introduced is just not going to be wanted by a grown man, so that's a shitload of Space Grey 5S sales.  The 5S in white and gold is going to be wanted by wannabe WAGs/TOWIE fans, and the 5C will be on millions of kid's Christmas lists.
    Oh forgot to mention, you must upgrade directly with EE and not a 3rd party to keep your F&F discount (instore, phone or online chat)

T&C's here...

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1016&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&segment=Consumer&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=50653&SOURCE_RELATED_ARTICLE=true

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I'm v.happy with my 5S. It does all the stuff a phone should do, like phoning and texting. Plus it lets me look at p0rn when I'm on the shitter at work.

What more could a man need?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Wibble,
    do you know of Orange/EE take an old phone back/part exchange against a new phone?
  • I'm v.happy with my 5S. It does all the stuff a phone should do, like phoning and texting. Plus it lets me look at p0rn when I'm on the shitter at work.

What more could a man need?

P0rn in full 1080p, like you get with any high end phone from a manufacturer other than Apple? :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Wibble,
    do you know of Orange/EE take an old phone back/part exchange against a new phone?
    You'd be better off flogging it separately after you get your new phone. You'll always get more.

Try CEX for a guide price ...
    http://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=iphone+4s+orange&section=

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    edited October 2013
    Ok. Will ditch iphone and get htc one. This is the phone apple should have made. I will probably not be the only one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader

I'm v.happy with my 5S. It does all the stuff a phone should do, like phoning and texting. Plus it lets me look at p0rn when I'm on the shitter at work.

You are a classy dude.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    I will await with interest the report on how much greener the grass is over there...

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    We've got a 5C at work and though it is a nice phone the back scratches up really easily so you'll want a case. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I'm a HTC man. Or Hyper Technology Cellphone as I like to call it in front of my iPhone wanker buddies.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm waiting for the Nexus 5/when I can afford it.
    My V key is broken
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited October 2013
    My current plan (orange friends and family) with 1GB of data and a shed loads of mins with the 4S is about £30 a month).

You're being ripped off then - I'm with Orange (not F&F) and am only paying £30 for unlimited mins, texts, and 500MB data. 1GB would have added a fiver, but I don't come close to using it! (Bog-standard iphone plans btw)