Opera anyone?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

I don't mind it and tend to prefer male voices to female, although Jessye Norman has a stunning voice and the Queen of the Night aria from The Magic Flute always flaws me for sheer technique! 

Even if I do say so myself, *Mrs.KK has a lovely, smooth voice (trained as an opera singer). This isn't the best vehicle for *her voice but it was a bit of fun and some session work, but you get the gist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfe-7kYcCrI

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    holnrew;58949" said:
    I don't like Opera, or musicals. I don't like story telling through song.
    Operation Mindcrime?

• vizviz Frets: 10692

Great album as @Mike_L will testify.

And what about humpty dumpty?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • holnrew said:
    I don't like Opera, or musicals. I don't like story telling through song.
    Don't listen to any Iron Maiden then, and definately do not go anywhere near any prog rock.

You should be safe with Def Leppard and Wham.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    edited October 2013
    ftumch said:
    I just bought three compilation albums of aria's, triggered somehow by the thread on singing two notes at once, strange how my mind works and I use the word works in the loosest possible sense. Anyway just wondering, anyone else into opera? It never fails to move me, don't know why I've never dipped my toe in before.
    To be honest Opera or Ballet does not 'do it' for me yet I love Classical music.  Specifically piano music.  I could, and did, listen to Chopin or Beethoven all evening.  I often listened to the late Tommie O'Brien speaking, on RTE radio, about his love of Opera.  He managed to hear most of the top Opera singers in London and the way he spoke of them and their voices, made me feel a little envious.  Envious that he got so much enjoyment from a musical genre that means nothing to me.  But as someone once said, it is only music notes, the same notes that we use to play trad Irish or Rock music.  We put them in a different order.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:

Great album as @Mike_L will testify.

Damn right, a personal favourite album, as is Mindcrime 2, but that works best as a follow-on listen (IE listen to 1 then 2 back-to-back).

I also really like "The Wall" by Pink Floyd.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Well, I can still enjoy the music. But the music in musicals is gash and opera singers hurt my ears after a while.
    My V key is broken
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Queen's "A Night at the Opera" anyone?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    edited March 2017
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I grew up listening to opera as my dad absolutely loved it. Tbh I never listen to any of it these days, although certain songs will always bring back memories of my dad, blasting out opera on the stereo on a Sunday morning and bellowing along. He didn't have a bad voice as it happens, shame I didn't inherit it. I can't listen to Nessun Dorma now without fillng up, we had it played at dad's funeral and it's forever linked with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    ftumch said:
    I just bought three compilation albums of aria's, triggered somehow by the thread on singing two notes at once, strange how my mind works and I use the word works in the loosest possible sense. Anyway just wondering, anyone else into opera? It never fails to move me, don't know why I've never dipped my toe in before.
    If i want to fall asleep immediately opera works every time, that or mariah carey.
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

I went to see Madam Butterfly with my wife.

It was magical,

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    ftumch said:
    not sure how many jolly drinking songs thee are in a typical opera but I'm not really interested in those. 
    Here's one....

I'm love opera. I stayed two extra days in Bratislava last week at the end of a tour in order to go and hear my good friend Linda Ballova sing the lead role in "The Makropolous Case". I understand what people don't like about the singing style and my Music History tutor in college used to call it "controlled shouting"... but I love it. Can't help myself. 

My wife and I both love it and go whenever we can afford it!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I used to like opera but these days I favour Firefox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I went to see Tristan and Isolde for my sister's birthday. I guess I can now cross it off my list of "things to do before I die," but I doubt I'll be going again.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Jeremiah said:
    I went to see Tristan and Isolde for my sister's birthday. I guess I can now cross it off my list of "things to do before I die," but I doubt I'll be going again.

I think it's the usual thing to turn up to more than 1 birthday.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    ftumch said:
    Not sure I'm ready for a full opera yet, I'd love to go though. I like the songs of heartbreak and tragedy, I'm ripe for a good cry, not sure how many jolly drinking songs thee are in a typical opera but I'm not really interested in those. Also don't like nessun dorma, mentally I link it to football which I can't stand.
    You want Tosca then..
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210

I'm writing one....here's a very rough draft of the opening overture.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I was at a performance of Mendelssohn's Elijah at the weekend - as an oratorio it has a lot of similarities with opera. I really enjoyed the orchestral and choral pieces, however the solo arias and recitatives left me completely cold. Therefore I am still the heathen I always thought I was.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience