Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Train wreck, Dumble etc

What's Hot
Ok most of us love certain amps because they are the amps that were on a certain song or solo that we liked etc, but for the life of me I cannot think of any classic hit done on a top Boutique amp to justify their prices. What exactly is it that makes people want one, knowing its so expensive and never having ever played through one ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited October 2013

Not a specific song but is enough for me to want one. The '59 probably helps ;) From 2:10 it starts
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11951

Personally, I can't remember buying any amp because of a certain track. A certain style would be part of it though

Initially for me in the 80s it was "what's for sale I the local shop that I can afford that everyone seems happy with and reviews are good" This did not work well for me really

Then in the 90s "what does my amp guru have for sale or recommend, or looks like a good deal". That worked better

Since 2006 for me it's been "what are the most highly regarded amps in the top 20 lists, etc, and variations of them, and where can I get them since the local shop usually doesn't sell them, and the maker doesn't make them anymore"

So within the recent purchase strategy, I got Dumble and trainwreck, and JTM45 clones, etc. and original modern boutiques. Eventually after chopping and changing, I now have amps I really think suit me the best

The museum/art collector prices for Dumbles and Trainwrecks are the same issue as the 1959 LP. These are investment/collector prices, not based on value as an instrument. is an old strat or LP really worth £100k, £300k, etc?

Dumbles appear on a lot of famous tracks AFAIK, Trainwrecks very few, but look at who the makers sold to.

Not sure if you also mean brands like Matchless and Two rock, etc - but the fact that highly respected players use them would influence many to try them, who else would you trust? A magazine review from a mag full of gear adverts is not as good (as discussed in this forum recently). If your financially comfortable favourite player uses a guitar / amp / pickup for years - to me it's the best indication that something is at least worth a try out

• vizviz Frets: 10709
    Every single bit of equipment I bought in the 90s was to try to get the sound of For The Love Of God by Vai. It was only later that I realised it was in his vingers and the volume knob.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    Listen to John Mayer for Dumble type tone.  He's the only properly successful guy using that stuff that I'm aware of.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

If you've got the money and you can't have it, because of rarity, it's going to make you and others (with money) want it more, then the prices spiral.  Then to justify the prices, it adopts the "emperors new clothes" mystique and sheen. 

(this sums up Mr. Dumble's whole marketing strategy, though whether he was clever or just barking is open to debate)

Eventually as a person you get through Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and realise .... it's all in the fingers! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539

A lot of the readily available booteeks, such as Dr Z, Matchless, Carr, Lazy J, Two Rock etc, mearly get you back to what amps were like back in the day (with modern refinments) IMO. i.e. obsessively designed, hand wired, built in either UK or USA to last a lifetime.

That's just the cost of doing it that way.

You are definately into diminishing returns compared to a far east manufactured PCB equivelant, but the difference is there - everyone who plays through my Carr compliments it, it's a stunning amp.

Going the next level to Trainwrek, Dumble etc and excessive pricing that comes with it, I think you're into equivelant of hi-end Hi Fi and the fairly dust (and wife-loss) that goes with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:

A lot of the readily available booteeks, such as Dr Z, Matchless, Carr, Lazy J, Two Rock etc, mearly get you back to what amps were like back in the day (with modern refinments) IMO. i.e. obsessively designed, hand wired, built in either UK or USA to last a lifetime.

That's just the cost of doing it that way.

Wisdom! I haven't tried a Two Rock or Lazy J, but every Dr Z and Carr I've ever come across has been a glorious thing. 

I can't comprehend that the Dumbles stuff is actually worth the money for tone, but much more for investment potential and bragging rights.
  • I find it much easier to play them and decide what I like the sound of. Surprisingly, few of my friends follow this routine and buy amps their favourite artists use, or that are "flavour of the month", so to speak.

Sadly (or not), I find that most amps these days are capable of decent tone and it's hard to separate them on sound alone. I use reviews from techs for reliability to help me decide, but from a tone perspective, I have to try before I buy.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28539

I can't comprehend that the Dumbles stuff is actually worth the money for tone
    I think that depends on how much money you've got. What are they, £50k or so? If you make several million a year playing guitar then that's not a ridiculous amount to spend on an amp if you really like the sound.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

I can't comprehend that the Dumbles stuff is actually worth the money for tone
    I think that depends on how much money you've got. What are they, £50k or so? If you make several million a year playing guitar then that's not a ridiculous amount to spend on an amp if you really like the sound.
    Yeah of course- usual caveats apply and all that. Someone must be buying all those Joe Bonamassa Les Pauls. Presumably it's the same category of rich obsessives!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28539
    I do suspect you're right that a significant proportion of such things go into collections rather than rigs though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Joe B bought his Dumble to use it. I doubt he'll gig with it but it will get used. Mayer has how many? 3, 4? They get used. KWS gigs his, RF gigs his. They guys that can afford them gig 'em. The prices are high because they are in high demand, not because thats what HAD charges for them.

Trainwreck OTOH is a different matter. There aren't going to be anymore, not tuned by KF anyway.

@stickyfiddle, what they are worth is determined by what someone will pay, whether you agree or not. You can't argue with an opinion, if JB says he wants one for 'his' sound then no-one can say he's wrong. He paid closer to £70k I think.
  • Ok most of us love certain amps because they are the amps that were on a certain song or solo that we liked etc, but for the life of me I cannot think of any classic hit done on a top Boutique amp to justify their prices. What exactly is it that makes people want one, knowing its so expensive and never having ever played through one ?
    It's a good question Taff, unfortunately I haven't got a good answer to go with it. 

:-B
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    I got into Matchless in the late 90's through Guitarist reviews, being underwhelmed by the 'off the shelf' amps available and that a lot of the Alt. Country guys in bands I really liked were using them. A friend of mine bought one and, once I'd tried it, I knew I had to have one - even though it took me 10 years to be able to afford one!

They DO sound different and the construction is superb, it's boutique/top quality components at the end of the day which I think justifies the price. And I agree with what @dindude said, it's a way to get back to how amps were originally made, albeit with modern construction and reliability and safety.

It is a bit of a double edged sword though as, once I got used to that sound, I really struggle to go back to a 'production' amp these days, they just don't have the 'sparkle'.

You do end up trying to better the best (as only a GAS addict will) and so I moved over to BadCat, which I personally prefer over Matchless...

....Then once you have your Class A, EL84 tone sorted, you seek out the best boutique Tweed sound you can, hence finding Lazy J!

And I dare say it'll continue...!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I do get how good some of these amps are, I have played, Badcat, Matchless, Carr etc and all have been superb amps, but no better tone than some of the old Marshalls Voxes and Fenders I have had and used. Most of these amps are high quality amps that are hand wired using best components, similar to What Marshall and the rest used to do before rising costs forced them to cheapen builds and cut costs etc.

But the Dumble and Trainwrecks are ridiculously overpriced due to hype more than quality, not that they are not great amps far from it. But I do wonder if you have a great guitarist with great gear he is gonna sound great, but with a Dumble is he gonna sound any better ? if not, why not cause it costs so much more than any other amp out there.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Personally think you might struggle to tell Bonamassa apart playing through a Dumble as opposed to a Two Rock. If he can tell the difference, though, he might play better i suppose

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited October 2013
    What exactly is it that makes people want one, knowing its so expensive and never having ever played through one ?
    TGP.

Seriously, though, I mean I've never tried a dumble either so they may well be fantastic. And Sporky makes a good point in that if you have tons of money, £50k probably isn't that much (and rarity means that there are few enough that rich people can push the prices way up, much like with vintage 1959 les paul standards).

I can't help but think hype plays a part, too, though.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Well of course the price is determined by supply and demand.

Both these amps are rare as Ken Fischer made Trainwrecks as a side line to his repair business, and didn't charge big bucks for them, and Howard Dumble did charge large amounts of money for his amps (I think he's more into making guns these days).

The value is of course a much more nebulous entity and will vary depending on your view point.

If you are very wealthy is not perhaps not so much that you value a Dumble amp more than you or I, but that you don't value $50,000 as much.

Today there are plenty of companies making Trainwreck and Dumble-style amps. There are several amps in production that have had input from Ken Fisher (eg Komet), but none from Howard Dumble.

Personally I have nightmares about having to play a gig with a Dumble-style amp; it's simply not a sound I like, so I don't really have much motivation to acquire one even if I could afford one (which I can't).

I do like the Trainwreck clips I've heard, and would really like to have a go with real one.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    i think Dumbles are associated with a lot of top players....but them same players would sound as good through any amp ....the fact that there isnt many about they demand high money....but not having tried a real Dumble i wouldnt know iff they are better than any other amp...from what iv heard on youtube and stuff....they would seem a nice amp but there a lot of nice amps out there for a lot less cash..
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Plus of course the PRICE isnt the same as the COST of ownership. If the market for these high end amps stays buoyant, the buyers will probably recover their £50k outlay. So the cost of ownership is barely more than the cost of owning something more modest.