New band members

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
i was just wondering where you look for band members to audition etc? What's a good website for example you use?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    "Got mine" on joinmyband
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Definitely found people on joinmyband. Load of bollox on there so be prepared to filter.
    For bass players try basschat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Definitely found people on joinmyband. Load of bollox on there so be prepared to filter.
    For bass players try basschat.
    Yes that has been my impression too i.e. filtering. Looking for a decent vocalist. 
  •  Looking for a decent vocalist. 
    Good luck. Just reading that brings me out in a cold sweat, and it's not even me that is looking for a vocalist.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     Looking for a decent vocalist. 
    Good luck. Just reading that brings me out in a cold sweat, and it's not even me that is looking for a vocalist.
    Tell me about it. It's the most daunting of band members to recruit :(
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    For vocalists you might find someone outside of normal band style channels if you don't mind someone with no experience. I guess local paper, vocal coach students, friend of friend type stuff.
    But, yep, with vocalists probably decent is what you aim for. If they are properly good they'd be recruiting you.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    For vocalists you might find someone outside of normal band style channels if you don't mind someone with no experience. I guess local paper, vocal coach students, friend of friend type stuff.
    But, yep, with vocalists probably decent is what you aim for. If they are properly good they'd be recruiting you.
    Yeah I agree. Tried vocal coaches recently and word of mouth. None are biting yet
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    I found 2 / 3 of my other band members at work but that was admittedly pretty lucky.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    gumtree
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited April 2015
     Looking for a decent vocalist. 
    nothing wrong with us vocalists :-P
    At least we turn up with the same equipment each week and dont faff about chasing tone with pedal/amp/guitar X/Y/Z relentlessly 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  Looking for a decent vocalist. 
    nothing wring with us vocalists :-P
    At least we turn up with the same equipment each week and dont faff about chasing tone with pedal/amp/guitar X/Y/Z relentlessly 
    @Meltedbuzzbox, you are talking weapons grade cobblers there, mate.  Our vocalist takes a fkn age to set up, and he's got a modelling microphone.

In short: Vocalists are the worlds worst human beings. (assuming Tony Blair is not human)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Your vocalist not all vocalists. 

I think every instrumentalist has their own issues. Drummers seem incapable of allowing a discussion to take place without hitting their drums. Guitarists that play at retarded volumes to get "the best tone from their amp". Failed guitarists aren't so bad I guess, sorry I mean bassists. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Guys guys. I can feel the love here ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    joinmyband is iMO best, so long as you can as others have said filter out what you're not interested in (which will probably be quite a lot of it). The upside is it's free, and allows you to communicate with potential recruits via their messaging before exchanging real email addresses or telephone numbers
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I find my singers by going to venues or festivals where I'm likely to find acoustic duos playing for free, especially charity events. I avoid open mic nights.

It means you get to see them perform rather than audition, and they usually have at least a little live experience. The younger ones have often only done a few unpaid gigs with a friend or two and are often thrilled at the confidence-boosting idea of singing with a proper gigging band behind them.
    When I see one I like I just wave money under their noses.

Other local musicians always ask me how I consistently find good singers but I don't tell them. ;)
    I have had absolutely zero success with the traditional advertise/audition method over the last 35 years.
    I personally hate the open mic nights to be truthful but your alternative sounds a good idea. Been speaking to one singer (haven't met her yet) who sounds hopeful but she said she has no experience in a band. My gut is saying no as it's a front person role but might be good for a backing singer. I guess an audition is the only way to tell in this situation 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2015
    The best thing to do when looking for musicians online is to get material up in the ad as soon as possible and only deal with people who have their own stuff available too.

Doesn't have to be good quality, just demos, youtube recordings, anything. Its 2015, Id except anyone purporting to be a dedicated instrumentalist to have recorded themselves SOME time.

Saves so much time vs meeting up with a bloke and booking a rehersal slot only to realise its not going to work within ten seconds of picking up instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Gumtree works for me. Joinmyband seems to work best for covers band or rock'n'roll (which might be what OP is after)
    Gumtree works for me. Joinmyband seems to work best for covers band or rock'n'roll (which might be what OP is after)
    Yeah covers