NGD :) My experience with Thomann

What's Hot
chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
edited April 2015 in Guitar
UPDATE: It has arrived this morning. Expect photos later!

OP:

I have been reluctant to post about this, partly because I wanted it resolved first and partly as I've always been a loyal Thomann customer.

I decided out of panic when Jacksons went up in the UK to buy a Jackson SDX from Thomann - I have never bought a guitar from Thomann before but I have bought amps and other large items which have always been delivered in 3 working days. About 15 minutes after ordering it I received the email saying it had been despatched. Classic German efficiency I thought. I switched on email updates for the tracking and went about my business.

5 days later i had received no updates - now im not expecting delivery in 5 days but from my experience of Thomann you get updated when it arrives at the German export location, and again when it arrives in the UK and also when its out for delivery. Curious as to why i hadn't heard anything I emailed Thomann (I was penny pinching and should have rang them). They responded the following day saying they didn't know where it was but would ring DHL immediately and get back to me ASAP. That was 5 days ago, although admittedly only 3 of those were working days. At the weekend the tracking finally updated and the parcel was in Koln, a whopping 3 hour drive from Kitzingen where it originally tracked. According to the tracking it is still in Koln - it took 8 days to travel 3 hours, and has been sat for a further 3 days in Germany doing nothing. I have no estimated arrival time and still no response from Thomann, who I have emailed back asking why I hadn't heard from them 'ASAP'.

Am I being overly critical or overreacting? Is it wrong of me to expect a parcel to have travelled slightly further than 3 hours down the road since being despatched 11 days ago? I appreciate that this is mainly a DHL issue and not Thomann, but they haven't been too helpful. Is this a standard Thomann experience these days?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Call Thomann. But I suspect they have a problem with DHL.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    You could be the greatest retailer in the world, but if your courier loses a parcel, or doesn't load it, you look like a chump.

Get on the phone and ask!  People are always more responsive to direct communication.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to call tomorrow, I've been busy at work and figured id give them the entire day to process the weekend backlog

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    That Sucks, I've bought three guitars from Thomann lately & everyone has arrived within three days & the tracking was accurate on each one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    For years I bought stuff from Thomann with no problems.  However in the last six months I've had the same experience as you with parcels being stuck for days in Koln, I've had stuff arrive damaged due to bad packing and really lousy customer service in the aftermath.  My own view is that they are nothing like as good as they were even a year ago. Maybe they've got just too big, I don't know.  What I do know is that they'll be getting far less business from me than they used to
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Hopefully they are trying to get it sorted,although 11 days suggests to me it might be lost. That would be rubbish, but do they have another in stock?

I don't buy mail order guitars any more (one shop is an exception), even if if means missing out on something. Purchasing for me is about the shop experience, although the Dawsons thread shows that isn't guaranteed either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gru;612554" said:
    Hopefully they are trying to get it sorted,although 11 days suggests to me it might be lost. That would be rubbish, but do they have another in stock?

I don't buy mail order guitars any more (one shop is an exception), even if if means missing out on something. Purchasing for me is about the shop experience, although the Dawsons thread shows that isn't guaranteed either.
    The only good shop for customer service near me only really caters for beginners. There is another shop that shall not be named but is run by a total bellend and I don't want him having my money. And I had to get from thomann anyway due to the price and the fact that neither local shop stocked Jacksons!

Like sods law the tracking has just updated to say its in this country, but then 2 minutes later said it wasn't. It is quite possibly lost but they do have more in stock

• Super - the thread has had its desired effect (that of sods law) - nothing for 11 days, post a thread on here and in under 24 hours it has arrived with an apology email from Thomann blaming DHL. The two are linked only by the law of sod.

Now I just need to get through a full working day, tea and small talk with the missus and then I can get her our of the box tonight! (the guitar that is)

Expect photos. Ill try and wipe up the drool before I take a snap

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one, glad it's arrived!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    My own Thomann experiences
    Bought a Digitech Jam Man from them last year full price and as new .... took best part of a week to arrive ... and was very clearly a demo example ... battered box, thumbed instructions ... 

Bought a Harley Benton Jazz Bass B stock, maple neck and fingerboard, ash body ...
    again around six days later an alder bodied rosewood fingerboard jazz bass ... one of the cheaper models... arrived in the box marked for the more expensive model ... 
    I complained and got a refund of the difference.

Bought my SG Future Tribute from them ... took eight days to arrive and had a comedy high action and sharp fret ends ... but otherwise okay.

My experience of Thomann is that they are a bit of a bargain basement lottery ... you can get lucky or have frustrations ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• My own Thomann experiences
    Bought a Digitech Jam Man from them last year full price and as new .... took best part of a week to arrive ... and was very clearly a demo example ... battered box, thumbed instructions ... 

Bought a Harley Benton Jazz Bass B stock, maple neck and fingerboard, ash body ...
    again around six days later an alder bodied rosewood fingerboard jazz bass ... one of the cheaper models... arrived in the box marked for the more expensive model ... 
    I complained and got a refund of the difference.

Bought my SG Future Tribute from them ... took eight days to arrive and had a comedy high action and sharp fret ends ... but otherwise okay.

My experience of Thomann is that they are a bit of a bargain basement lottery ... you can get lucky or have frustrations ... 

I can't wait to get home now!

Like I say, my experience has been positive thus far, but I am hearing increasingly more negative reviews of the service. Luckily a badly set up guitar is an easy fix, but I am dreading if there is any damage as I don't want to have to deal with them again.

Im hoping for the opposite of your Jazz bass experience. Hopefully they have accidentally sent the USA model of the Jackson Adrian Smith.... haha

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    They've resolved any issue I ever had with manufacturing faults

Excellent service
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Me too - good service always. Can't blame Thomann for the Gibson SG - comedy high action and shoddy workmanship is Gibson's way to prove its genuine :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Nope ... one smooth deal ... out of three ... a 75% failure rate ... go them ;-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Sorry to hear that :( I was hoping when you said the tracking was finally updated in that other thread that that might be it sorted :(
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've bought 2 guitars and  pedal train and they were excellent.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Bought my last LP Supreme from them last year. Brilliant from start to finish.

More surprising was that it was brilliantly made and finished.

Hey ho, that's the gibbo lottery.

Thankfully I won this one.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    First class service and they gave me vouchers for my reviews (thanks to the heads up on here).
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Thomann are box shifters and  sometimes it ges wrong .They  dont check each item out of the store .Most issues are corrected  quickly .I got vouchers for my reviews too
         .I used to work delivering fitted kitchens to public customers.The deal was we didnt waste time checking the contents of the  boxes when delivered as we would never get our round done .The company always made good .I suspect Thomann works on that principle
    tFB Trader
    rossi said:
    Thomann are box shifters and  sometimes it ges wrong 
    Exactly ... if you take them for what they are, that's fine ... one can't expect perfection for silly cheap prices ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom