I haz wood

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
edited October 2013 in Making & Modding
What shall I build?

Drove down to David Dyke's today- thoroughly nice chap and he loved Scarlett O'Hairy, who I took along with me.
I have a nice A grade rosewood back and sides (bargain at £47), AA grade Sitka spruce top, AAA rosewood fingerboard, bridge & headstock facing and some bracing.

The birdseye fingerboard isn't mine.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28569
    An 11-string electric uke.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Sporky said:
    An 11-string electric uke.
    Nop.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited October 2013
    I guess you must have ideas, as the maximum size of the Body will be dependant on the dimensions of the Rosewood Wood that you've bought.

David Dyke is a real nice guy. I went all the way done to his place to pick out the wood that I used to make my Les Paul. He just showed me where the relevant stacks of wood were, and left me to my own devices for a couple of hours whilst I went through it all.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited October 2013
    thinline archtop acoustic?
    I guess you must have ideas, as the maximum size of the Body will be dependant on the dimensions of the Rosewood Wood that you've bought.

David Dyke is a real nice guy. I went all the way done to his place to pick out the wood that I used to make my Les Paul. He just showed me where the relevant stacks of wood were, and left me to my own devices for a couple of hours whilst I went through it all.
    I'm making a second parlour acoustic.
    Already making one at the moment for my degree.
    Decided to make two at once.
    The first one is traditionally made- very few power tools, making the binding and rosette inlay by hand, thicknessing the back/sides/soundboard with a hand plane etc.

This one will be done with machines- thicknessing on a sander, using router for the binding etc.
    To compare & contrast the traditional vs the modern method of building.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28569

I didn't have much idea what I was looking for, so we went over what I thought I might make and he picked out individual bits of timber for me - exactly what I needed. It's a bit far away and I found a decent local timber merchant, but if I'm in the area again I'll certainly pop in.

There was a brilliant grumpy/friendly chap who did the payment stuff too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    There was a brilliant grumpy/friendly chap who did the payment stuff too.
    Mark?
    Yes, he was hugely entertaining yesterday too.