INNOVATION ~ Frank Falbo Of Falbo Guitars ~ Guitar Design ~ P-Rails ~ Fishman Fluence ...

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited May 2015 in Guitar
This is an amazing program, well worth watching IMHO ~ from guitar design to pedals, a bit on amps to pickups, a bright lad is Frank...  

An intelligent Chasing Tone podcast, who'd have thought ?  Sorry guys, but this one stays on track, and really covers some interesting and innovative ground.

Frank Falbo Of Falbo Guitars, works with Fishman on their new Fluence pickups, and is the inventor of Seymore Duncan P-Rails

Duration 34:01

In this episode, Chasing Tone 55, Travis, Max, and Brian sit down Frank Falbo of Falbo Guitars. Frank also works with Fishman on their new Fluence pickups, and is the inventor of the Seymour Duncan P-Rails. 

1:45 – Falbo Guitars
3:25 – Innovative Acoustic Design 
7:35 – Seymour Duncan Pedals
8:30 – P-Rails 
8:50 – Fishman Fluence 
19:50 – Part Tolerance And Sorting
23:50 – Chinese Pedals 
24:25 – Clarksdale Design
27:10 – Falbo Hollowbody Electric

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Interesting stuff.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited May 2015
    I'm glad it's not just me who watches these. :)

It's taken over from the Andertons vids for me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @TheGuitarWeasel, I thought you might find some of this interesting, and I would love to hear back on your thoughts about what was discussed.  Hope you are healing well, atb, Chris   :)

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but the innovative construction technique to eliminate bracing in acoustic and semi acoustic bodies may be of interest to you @WezV and @octatonic.

And it may interest you too @DartmoorHedgehog, after that wonderfully brave project you took on.  I love purple as a colour too, and you did a fantastic job IMO, what a project as a first attempt, well done.  If you can work out how Frank has done the bridge torque balancing, you could eliminate the bracing for the next one, maybe...   ;)

• Thanks @ChrisMusic.  That was pretty interesting - I've wondered a few times why the strings on acoustics aren't anchored to some sort of trapeze tailpiece like on an archtop, so the top didn't have to be so strong - but I suppose that must have an adverse effect on the vibration going into the bridge otherwise they'd all be made that way (I've only seen that on old cheap guitars like some of the Kay ones).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    really annoying interview technique - let the guy talk!!

i preferred this explanation of the acoustic bridge design

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hey @WezV, actually that was pretty good by the podcast's standards, mostly because Frank has something of substance to say, has a forceful personality, which is a good attribute for an entrepreneur, and I would guess doesn't suffer fools gladly.

If you really want an example of annoying interview technique, just watch pretty much any of their earlier podcasts, rarely interviewing as such, and rarely staying on topic either.  I have learn't quite a bit from watching them, but it takes a lot of patience to sift through for the occasional nugget.

Excellent video Wez thanks for posting it, a good explanation, loving the diagrams, a picture is worth a thousand words as always.  I love the magicians black clothing on a black background, a surreal presentation brought to you by floating arms and hands and head  :)

2014 NAMM Sneak Peak - Falbo Guitars & Fishman Fluence parts 1 & 2

Duration 4:57

Duration 5:02

Tom Quayle for Guitar Interactive Magazine reviewing Fishman Fluence Single Coil Pickups

Duration 17 :51

I may have to slip you a little Koch with the next video..   :-\"

Everybody's favourite ~ Greg Koch ~ demos the New Fishman Fluence Pickups featuring Roscoe Beck at NAAM 2014, uploaded by Wildwood Guitars

Duration 17:53

Greg Koch Fluence Humbucker Electric Guitar Pickups

Duration 3:05

Greg Koch Fluence Single Width Electric Guitar Pickups

Duration 3:35

• Wildwood should take note of these Fishman videos - the Deluxe Reverb here sounds so much better than the Tone King amp he uses at Wildwood.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Guitarist magazine have just reviewed two Fret King/Fluence guitars....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9kPD5sYGA