New band !!

TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
So after 15 years in the speedway snails - I think I'm in a new band and I'm the bloody singer too!

Got together and jammed with an old drummer (who we kicked out of the snails years back) and a new bass player who had approached him at one of his bands gigs

The

We got together last week to see if a) my voice was up to it, b) if I could sing and play at the same time and c) if it sounded ok.

We jammed around some old Faves - sweet hole alamaba, etc and and also did some meters, and a bit of specials

We really really hit it off, the bass player is Mark King level good. And we've deceide to do all ska, funk and reggae so I'm really excited. I've never played any of that style before and it's really challenging, there isn't anyone round here doing it so could be a niche market

Any ideas for songs in any of the above styles would be greatly appreciated as would band name suggestions !
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    No recommendations but great to feel your enthusiasm beaming out of your post. Enjoy your new band!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Yay have fun!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Nice work, I love the beginning of bands, it's often some of my most creative periods.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sounds like a fun band - hope it goes well!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited May 2015
    Now we're talking downtown!!! http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ib_IDVpakjg/hqdefault.jpg
    You've gone for genres where a 3 peice probably doesn't bring up many obvious choons. But if you have a great bass player then some of the Chic/ Nile Rodgers back catalogue is probably doable. Maybe this is into RHCP territory?
    A lot of the Bob Marley and Peter Tosh catalogues are recognisable songs that boil down to fairly basic forms that you can mess around with. The more guitar oriented ones from The Specials maybe like Little Bitch or Concrete Jungle? You're Wondering Now has a great guitar bit - can't remember who did the original in the 60's but loads of covers including The Specials and, genuinely, check out the Amy Winehouse version which is a great and would work with your line up. Toots and the Maytalls are good for ska and reggae versions of stuff and a version of their 54-46 is a reggae and ska standard.
    Which reminds me of Sublime who mashed up 54-46 with something else and their own classic which would be great for your line up ( although it's not exactly a hit)
    and staying with Third Wave bands this is awesome
    Might depend on how much you want to be doing Hits but there's a massive choice in those genres. Sounds great though :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.