What do I need for playing acoustic guitar live?

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

Ok, so barring a guitar and a PA, what are the essentials? My acoustic doesn't have a preamp, but I do have a Shadow soundhole pickup - will I need some sort of preamp? Do I need anything else, like an EQ or compressor?

Could I, in theory, just rock up and plug my guitar into a PA? I'm new to this, as you can gather. I just fancy doing an open mic night or two with a mate, nothing epic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    You just need a DI box. :)
    You could also use an acoustic multi-effect like the Zoom A2.1u, as seen in my signature. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Thanks dude, turns out I have just the thing :)
  • If its just an open mic thing i would say just rock up with your guitar and lead and go for it they should have everything else you need
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited October 2013
    I did that trying to play angie - using a DI box.  The setup at the open mike night was not great so I couldn't hear myself properly and got into a right mucking fuddle and bombed out.

so if you are going to DI I personally would make sure that the monitor is giving you a good sound 

I have promised myself an acoustic amp at some point so that I can be sure of getting my guitar coming right at my earhole!

NIck
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    ddlooping said:
    You just need a DI box. :)
    You could also use an acoustic multi-effect like the Zoom A2.1u, as seen in my signature. ;)

I have one of these, it's my most-gigged bit of kit, I use it for everything. Strangely, I never use any of the guitar/mic simulations, but having a tuner/DI/volume pedal/compressor/reverb/ground lift all in one box means that I do all of my acoustic, electric and bass gigs with it, both direct-to-desk, and in front of valve half-stacks.

edited October 2013

Thanks guys.

On the subject of acoustic amps, what's good and cheap? Those Laney ones look alright...

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    ZT Acoustic looks good.

If you want a s/h Fishman Loudbox Pro (100W) used once make me an offer.

The Boss AD-3 (or AD-8) is pretty amazing for DI, feedback killing and de-piezo'ing electro acoustics
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

Cheers @Jalapeno.

The Fishman sounds epic, but unless you're willing to accept £50 and a cuddle, I'll have to pass :) I'll keep and eye out for one of those Boss pedals.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    :(

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Firstly, you assume a PA. What size room are you playing? A PA is a Pain in the Arse and if you don't need one, don't try to convince yourself you do.

Acoustic stuff is normally played at lower volumes and there are some excellent acoustic amps around that can do the job very well. I would also challenge the need for a fancy effects pedal that offers a gazzillion different sounds. After many years of playing I find that I stick to one setting that suits my guitar, my voice and my songs.

Think carefully before you buy. Speak with other performers and ask what they play with.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Been gigging an ashdown radiator for a few years. Superb little amp and very reasonably priced 2nd hand.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Bidley said:

Ok, so barring a guitar and a PA, what are the essentials? My acoustic doesn't have a preamp, but I do have a Shadow soundhole pickup - will I need some sort of preamp? Do I need anything else, like an EQ or compressor?

Could I, in theory, just rock up and plug my guitar into a PA? I'm new to this, as you can gather. I just fancy doing an open mic night or two with a mate, nothing epic.

If you're going to an existing open mic night where they have a PA, all you need is your guitar - and possibly a DI box if the house soundman doesn't have one, but that would be very rare. Even a buffered pedal of any kind - including a tuner like a Boss TU-2 - would do. All you need is something to turn the high-impedance signal from the soundhole pickup (I'm assuming it's a passive one) into a low-impedance signal which will drive the mixer input.

If you're going to this sort of open mic, don't take an amp or anything else that isn't *essential* - space and time is usually limited and you won't be very popular if you show up with extra gear. I normally find it's even best to use the house guitar if they have one - they're usually not great and sometimes have cheesegrater actions in my experience, but that will just improve your playing skill :).

If you're running the open mic yourself I would suggest a small PA, with the speakers on stands. Acoustic amps are fine for both guitar and vocals in *tiny* spaces, but they usually don't project well for anything bigger than a handful of people in a very quiet bar. (I've tried, with some fairly decent acoustic amps.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited November 2013

ICBM said:

If you're running the open mic yourself I would suggest a small PA, with the speakers on stands. Acoustic amps are fine for both guitar and vocals in *tiny* spaces, but they usually don't project well for anything bigger than a handful of people in a very quiet bar. (I've tried, with some fairly decent acoustic amps.)
    Less than a 40W AER acoustic Alpha:
    http://www.studiospares.com/pa-systems/fender-passport-300-pro/invt/261580

Or slightly higher quality (although you'd need to add a separate mixer):
    http://www.studiospares.com/pa-systems/mackie-srm350-v2-package/invt/261805

A basic mixer like this should do the job, although you could go a bit more expensive and get one with built in effects:
    http://www.studiospares.com/mixers-analogue/yamaha-mg102c-mixer/invt/274200

The Mackie one and the mixer would still be more than £200 less than one of these:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/aer_compact_classic_pro_akustikcombo.htm?sid=ca593c325344f8daa3d8899d5148b270

I'd definitely go the PA route.  You would always have the option of using one of the powered speakers on its own in the same way as you would a dedicated acoustic amp.
  • For small acoustic gigs, Bose L1 - we use it for solos, duo (guitar and bass) and even trio (add percussion - djembe miked, Cajon DI) - sounds brilliant, easy to set up, great fun watching people trying to work out where all that sound is coming from. Not cheap sadly.