Axefx Live

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Just got back from my hols in Rhodes, and a few nights while I was there went to see a rock covers band in a local bar.  The guitarist was using an AxeFX II into a mesa power-amp with a couple of 1x12 EV wedges.  In isolation it sounded good (not great) but after an hour the sound really started to annoy me, not really sure what it was, but the sound was uncomfortable on the ears, and it wasn't that loud by any means.  I'm sure for stadium gigs with a huge PA the axefx might be great, but is anyone using them with any success for pub gigs?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    I use one for smaller gigs, esp when travel is involved.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    I've used two at a pub gig, admittedly it was the jam session after Axe-fest UK. I was using one for  lead and one for bass with no complaints. I've even had positive feedback with respect to tone.

Reference the Axe-fest UK jam -  Clarky , who is left handed, grabbed one of my right handed guitars, had a quick chat to the drummer, and belted out a great version of Deep Purple's Burn.  I'm glad I had to follow that. 
    :\">
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    John_A: I reckon the prob was most likely not the Axe itself but the way it was programmed..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Or possibly the Mesa power amp.  They have their own colour going on, and Id say almost certainly the AFX Power amp simulations were turned on to let the mesa provide that part of the tone - so you wernt hearing the AFX really, just as a pre with a mesa power amp.

If Im wrong, and he had the PA sims turned on - then your getting the effect of using two power amps in series, which can also do strange things.

I use my AFX with a SS Power amp for pub gigs and it sounds great - always get funny looks but good comments.

I use my AFX with a SS Power amp for pub gigs and it sounds great - always get funny looks but good comments.
    That is probably down to your guitar face. ;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:

That is probably down to your guitar face. ;)

Alex Lifeson like? ;-)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

More a Joe Walsh if memory serves.
  • octatonic said:
    More a Bradley Walsh if memory serves.
    Fixed ;)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm sill tempted to go down the axefx route, but that's the only time Ive heard on in a small gig context and it was pretty awful!  Hopefully it was a combination of power amp and programming, I might test the water yet!
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've heard several bands now playing with an AxeFX and they all sounded great.. as others have said.. it's likely the individual setup rather than the unit itself.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom