Why are guitarists obsessed with modes?

What's Hot
jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
So why is there such fetish amongst guitarists with modes?

Very little pop / rock music is actually modal. The only song I have played that I would consider modal is Have Nagila which was a request at a Jewish wedding.

I know a ton of great horn player.

They can all read music, improvise over jazz changes, play by ear. 

They don't have any interest in modes, nor see modes as an approach with any particular value. This includes an alto sax player whose band was nominated for a Mercury prize.

All these players are play far more harmonically complicated music than virtually all guitarists play.

I recently asked this question to a customer who is a lecturer in jazz at a London college. This guy plays tons of session on a wide variety of fretted (and indeed non fretted) instruments including guitar. He was also totally baffled by guitarists fetishes for modes too.

Can anybody help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

they aren't .just lots of those that are don't get them. so ask lots of questions which makes it feel like modes are very popular.

modes are easy once you find the sound, then you forget about all the theory nonsense and get the sounds out...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Beats me.  Arpeggios & melody are where the cool stuff is.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    It's musical vocabulary. If you are learning a new language (in this case music) you need to get the basics down, grammar etc. If you want to sound really intelligent or articulate what you need to say better to many different levels of people, you learn big words or in this case, modes/ chords. Without realising it, you already play modes. Major/ minor scales are modes. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Because most guitarists are not actually very creative so need to rely on rules rather than their ears and imaginations to come up with music?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I don't think what you are saying makes any sense.

All music is modal. The Aeolian and Ionian are modes, you might say the relative minor of C is A minor, but you are still talking about modes even if you choose not to use that language. I can call an apple a "pomme", but it doesn't stop being an apple.

Also any song that doesn't start on the Tonic is modal if you choose to look at it that way.

When you play "Come up and see me" which I'm sure about half of the pub bands on here do you start the song by running up the G mixolydian scale. You can say "Play the G mixolydian scale" or you can say "Play C minor, but start on G" or "Play G major, but flatten the 7th", but whatever language you choose to use it's still modal.

If you solo over the Dm chord in a progression in C major you can say you are soloing in C major, or D Dorian, or you can say you are targeting the chord tones, but you will still be playing the same notes. 

Huge amounts of blues, jazz, funk and soul is modal. In fact it's far more common when I'm soloing over the music that my funk/soul band play that if I want to add in a 6th over a minor progression it's more often than not a major 6th.

Also a lot of traditional folk and world music is modal especially when it's played on an instrument that has 8 notes rather than 12 or doesn't have even temperament.

I think what is fairly unique to technical guitar players is the compulsive desire to play in things like the Locrian mode, just because it's there which is pretty rare outside of shred music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    My belief is because guitarists in general mistake modes as a learning tool for modes as a shortcut or life raft. 

ALL music is modal. A mode is literally a relationship between a note or groups of notes to the underlying chord. Guitarists, more than any other musicians, seems to see the leap into improvisation as a massive one. Perhaps a core reason for this is a vast amount of guitarists (unlike students of most other musical instruments) do not start by learning scales and gaining a strong fundamental understanding of the fretboard's structure. 

I was taught and still believe that when you first look at a fretboard it is just a bunch of notes you don't understand. You then bit by bit learn scales in boxes across the fretboard and these become important footholds. Eventually once these are incorporated enough in your playing to become fluent, suddenly the fretboard returns to be a bunch of notes, only now a bunch that you understand in depth. I believe most guitarists will never move past the second stage. 

When a horn player says "I don't use modes!" it's most probably down to two reasons - Firstly that he started in a solid and strict regime of learning scales from the ground up and secondly they live and breath the style they are playing and have spent endless hours jamming over tracks aided by their solid scale knowledge.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    I've never studied modes and have no real desire to do so. I just want to play the notes I hear in my head. I listen to the chords and then try and play melodies that work with those chords but also stand up as melodies in their own right..if that makes sense.

It doesn't always work, but I like the idea of a listener being able to remove the backing chords I'm playing over and still be able to hear them subconsciously because the notes I play emphasize the key components of those chords..

This is my own blinkered approach but I think it comes from me learning to play over a lot of Steely Dan, Jeff Lorber type music in my early years.  I've never been a speed player having always preferred the Dexter Gordon approach to playing. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I would love to be able to hear the modes like Vai can. Sure certain sounds evoke something from a mode.
    For instance
    • Lydian I think of Satch and Vai widdling away over a pad progression (usually with a fan blowing away and some dry ice).
    •  Dorian - Santana wincing or Zappa's excellent "Santana secret chord progression".
    • Phrygian-  Metallica,  flattened second with some wah wah solo
    • Locrian- Wrong just wrong.

As for Mixolydian, nothing really springs to mind for me. Ionian and Aeolian goes without saying.

I need to spend more time with it, I was always told that you can use modes over an appropiate static chord but a modal progression is the key to understanding them. The chords should really be harmonised from that mode.

I spent a bit of time on it years ago but didnt really see the benefit for me then. I think if I invested more time into it and harmonised the appropriate chords. Then it'd sink in better.

I think guitarists lust over modes, as they perhaps see it as some short cut to playing more scales? For instance I'll fudge a Lydian mode over an Add9 or even a Major7, I don't feel i'm strictly playing in a lydian mode. I've just fudged it for myself.

I'm a big advocate of listening to new sounds instead, that works better for me.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited May 2015
    DrJazzTap said:
    I would love to be able to hear the modes like Vai can. Sure certain sounds evoke something from a mode.
    For instance
    • Lydian I think of Satch and Vai widdling away over a pad progression (usually with a fan blowing away and some dry ice).
    •  Dorian - Santana wincing or Zappa's excellent "Santana secret chord progression".
    • Phrygian-  Metallica,  flattened second with some wah wah solo
    • Locrian- Wrong just wrong.

As for Mixolydian, nothing really springs to mind for me. Ionian and Aeolian goes without saying.

I need to spend more time with it, I was always told that you can use modes over an appropiate static chord but a modal progression is the key to understanding them. The chords should really be harmonised from that mode.

I spent a bit of time on it years ago but didnt really see the benefit for me then. I think if I invested more time into it and harmonised the appropriate chords. Then it'd sink in better.

I think guitarists lust over modes, as they perhaps see it as some short cut to playing more scales? For instance I'll fudge a Lydian mode over an Add9 or even a Major7, I don't feel i'm strictly playing in a lydian mode. I've just fudged it for myself.

I'm a big advocate of listening to new sounds instead, that works better for me.

This is a good video for hearing the 'flavour' of the modes, especially as it's done on keyboards and so takes us out of that 'guitar head' we can all get stuck in.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpeYO3iat8&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLFBZlIo53dQ4mdwSqjrJOggCLioPlJdbU
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    You raise an interesting point. I suspect it's to do with learning your way around the neck. I did spend a few weeks as a teenager learning modes. But I think they just made me more comfortable moving around the neck & shifting positions. Not musical as such, but perhaps useful in the bigger picture?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Jalapeno said:
    Beats me.  Arpeggios & melody are where the cool stuff is.
    Maybe I'm not doing it right but I always found arpeggios restrictive!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I know "a different perspective is worth 80 IQ points" but if the lecturer doesn't know, the chances are good any strong response will come from people defending their choice to invest in learning that approach, which isn't impartial.

I think it's one of those "if the only tool you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

But I look forward to reading the responses :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Mr. JPF is spot on, and to me the reasons are pretty clear.

Firstly, rock guitarists are not normally grounded in the classical tradition of musical upbringing.

Scondly, rock guitarists do not generally read or use sheet music, and TAB and chord names are the prevalent notation systems.

Thirdly, although it is tuned to the key of E minor (or G major), the guitar is inherently a key-agnostic instrument, mainly due to the barre chord. Pick any note on a piano and you can instantly name it; pick a random string and fret in the middle of the guitar and most guitarists can't.

For these 3 reasons, most guitarists' journey towards musical theory and understanding takes a completely different route from pianists, violinists, brass and woodwind players, who need to build their theoretical knowledge at the right pace to accompany their palying ability, so they can operate within the classical context. Classical musicians go through a well-defined path intended to ground them with a thorough understanding and language of how music really works, following something akin to this rough sequence:

Notation and naming basics
    Major and minor
    Keys and scales
    Time signatures and rhythms basics
    Reading music
    Key signatures and ornaments
    Harmony and chordal context
    Melody writing
    Transposition
    Harmonic modulation
    4-part writing and figured bass
    Style recognition and composition

Obviously this is a totally valid approach for guitarists too as any guitarist with grade 8 theory will tell you, and nobody who's embraced it and gone through it successfully would say it stifles music making or creativity! But it's not fundamentally necessary for playing guitar in bands or orchestras. Guitarists tend to come at theory after reaching a certain playing standard. Therefore the journey is not theory-driven or even theory-parallel; rather the theory is used as a rear guard to vocabularise the playing, hence it tends to be very pragmatic and customised to individuals' advancement. Furthermore it is more informal and unstructured, and often more non-standardised - guitarists often develop their own ideas and language around theory rather than being taught the traditional theory.

Thus a typical journey might be:

Basic chord keys - E, A, G, C, D
    Major and minor
    I, IV, V and other popular chord progressions
    Pentatonic scale
    Circle of 5ths
    Reading TAB
    Basic chord extensions, 7ths, sus, 9ths, etc
    Advanced chord extensions, b5ths, b9ths, etc.
    Reading chord notation
    Diatonic modes
    Other scale families and their modes (melodic minor, harmonic minor)

The classical tradition bypasses modes because the thorough, key-specific grounding in harmony and melody doesn't really utilise the concept. Modes are a convenient, easy, key-agnostic way of describing scales, and are closely linked to the I, IV, V-type of approach, which is also key agnostic and doesn't require musical notation.

Guitarists tend to land on modes as a more advanced part of musical theory.

IMO.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Well, arguably everything is modal so, as others have said, it's just another way of using the language. Rock ( in a very broad sense) guitar tends to be learned as patterns - or at least that those patterns are seen as a short cut to competency - and modes fall into patterns, patterns fall into modes,etc.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Arguably everything is mathematics.

Except most guitarists approach to theory that's more often Numberwang, Wangernum or a cryptic rhyme off Ted Roger's 3-2-1.

The blues was an aural tradition and rock comes from that, so does jazz largely - in the early 80s guitar magazines came along and added mystifying stuff with modes to that aural tradition - now up and down the land at open mic nights and in the intervals at gigs... striving guitarists practice reciting this aural tradition, garnered from the worthy tomes that gave them the tab to ape their heroes.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Well, arguably everything is modal so, as others have said, it's just another way of using the language. Rock ( in a very broad sense) guitar tends to be learned as patterns - or at least that those patterns are seen as a short cut to competency - and modes fall into patterns, patterns fall into modes,etc.
    Wisdom. I was also going to say that a big part of it is that guitar, unlike most instruments, can be all about fretboard patterns. I have no doubt that other instruments are also playing modes but they probably think of it as putting accidentals into the correct scale, or following the chords with their melody - they just don't necessarily have the same need to give it a title.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    Wisdom. I was also going to say that a big part of it is that guitar, unlike most instruments, can be all about fretboard patterns. I have no doubt that other instruments are also playing modes but they probably think of it as putting accidentals into the correct scale, or following the chords with their melody - they just don't necessarily have the same need to give it a title.
    I think that's very valid. 

You could equally say why are keyboard players so obsessed with how many sharps and flats there are in a key whereas guitarists often don't care and it's because it's what has an impact on the mechanics of playing.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    DrJazzTap said:

I think of mixolydian as the slightly cooler major scale due to the flat 7th.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    viz said:
    Mr. JPF is spot on, and to me the reasons are pretty clear.

Firstly, rock guitarists are not normally grounded in the classical tradition of musical upbringing.

Scondly, rock guitarists do not generally read or use sheet music, and TAB and chord names are the prevalent notation systems.

Thirdly, although it is tuned to the key of E minor (or G major), the guitar is inherently a key-agnostic instrument, mainly due to the barre chord. Pick any note on a piano and you can instantly name it; pick a random string and fret in the middle of the guitar and most guitarists can't.

For these 3 reasons, most guitarists' journey towards musical theory and understanding takes a completely different route from pianists, violinists, brass and woodwind players, who need to build their theoretical knowledge at the right pace to accompany their palying ability, so they can operate within the classical context. Classical musicians go through a well-defined path intended to ground them with a thorough understanding and language of how music really works, following something akin to this rough sequence:

Notation and naming basics
    Major and minor
    Keys and scales
    Time signatures and rhythms basics
    Reading music
    Key signatures and ornaments
    Harmony and chordal context
    Melody writing
    Transposition
    Harmonic modulation
    4-part writing and figured bass
    Style recognition and composition

Obviously this is a totally valid approach for guitarists too as any guitarist with grade 8 theory will tell you, and nobody who's embraced it and gone through it successfully would say it stifles music making or creativity! But it's not fundamentally necessary for playing guitar in bands or orchestras. Guitarists tend to come at theory after reaching a certain playing standard. Therefore the journey is not theory-driven or even theory-parallel; rather the theory is used as a rear guard to vocabularise the playing, hence it tends to be very pragmatic and customised to individuals' advancement. Furthermore it is more informal and unstructured, and often more non-standardised - guitarists often develop their own ideas and language around theory rather than being taught the traditional theory.

Thus a typical journey might be:

Basic chord keys - E, A, G, C, D
    Major and minor
    I, IV, V and other popular chord progressions
    Pentatonic scale
    Circle of 5ths
    Reading TAB
    Basic chord extensions, 7ths, sus, 9ths, etc
    Advanced chord extensions, b5ths, b9ths, etc.
    Reading chord notation
    Diatonic modes
    Other scale families and their modes (melodic minor, harmonic minor)

The classical tradition bypasses modes because the thorough, key-specific grounding in harmony and melody doesn't really utilise the concept. Modes are a convenient, easy, key-agnostic way of describing scales, and are closely linked to the I, IV, V-type of approach, which is also key agnostic and doesn't require musical notation.

Guitarists tend to land on modes as a more advanced part of musical theory.

IMO.
    Very eloquently put.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    BigMonka said:
    That's more the approach I seem to have arrived at, ie altering notes to give different flavours.

There does seem to be a swath of instrumental guitar rock, which started to appear en masse in the 80s, which seemed to me to be composed using modes as a basis..

I didn't really get into instrumental guitar-based rock at that time (in fact I didn't really get into very much music from the 80s at the time....) nor since.