P90s pot values for Tone. Opinions please

stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
edited October 2013 in Making & Modding
I have a rather nice Edwards LP Custom with Seymour Duncan P90s. 

It has had some Orange Drop caps added by previous owner and I notice that the 'Tone' pots are 250k. I was thinking that 500k would give me some more 'bite' perhaps and maybe a bit more taper to play with.

So thought I would ask your opinions on whether or not they would benefit from me swapping out the tone pots.

EDIT

Either way the 500k are going in as I just broke one of the 250k pots when I pulled the knob off. Bloody post pulled right out of the casing!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Yes, 500Ks (with .022uF tone caps) are the standard values for P90s. It's nothing to do with being a 'single coil', it's the inductance of the pickup that matters, and a P90 is much more like a humbucker than a Fender-type single coil.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I did wonder why they had used 250K pots? I always thought they were for Fender single coils.

Cheers fella!

As always you're a wealth of good knowledge. 

Even if you do prefer Jags over Jazzmasters... 

Yup. That is a more what I wanted out of a tone pot.

Old

New

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    What value are the volume pots? They should be 500s as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

They have no markings on the tops and I can't see the sides of them. I presumed they would be 500K as I know a lot of manufacturers use 500K and 250K with P90s for some reason.

Either way I'll ditch them soon. I just had the two 500k pots left in my parts draw or I would have done the lot.